Author Topic: RIDES 2017 — add yours here  (Read 85136 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: RIDES 2017 — add yours here
« Reply #255 on: November 08, 2017, 12:12:39 am »
anybody figure out how to get a wrench or whatever inside those spring coils to be able to tighten that nut? I've got a nut on order from a USA shop... free shipping! - but I sure don't want the replacement to fall off too! Probably some lock-tight is called for, too!

Andre Jute

« Reply #256 on: November 08, 2017, 05:56:45 am »
Slow down, gentlemen. I didn't positively identify it as a Whitworth thread -- it's just a contextual guess because it rang a bell in my hand, but it's a long time since actually worked on a known Whitworth-threaded device. I actually had the bolt and nut on my Brooks out when it came loose entirely by itself, but I didn't put a thread gauge on any part of it because I had only one set of really flat spanners that would fit through the spring, and one of them was a so-so fit, so I bolted the thing up as best I could and was grateful not to have to send it away. It's lasted since. You can't get a thread gauge inside either, not unless you take it apart and even then it will probably be too long to turn vertically for the measurement.

I reckon the factory probably uses an ancient custom tool of their own making, probably in appearance like a larger version of the saddle tension spanner but better made and forge-hardened. Until the war manufacturers had their better apprentices make bench tools*, and the toolmakers who made the prototypes of custom tools were the highest paid workmen.

What would be useful for a Brooks saddle would be a really flat adjustable spanner. (Giving the precision engineers shingles, I know. Sorry, fellows, don't take it out on me, speak to good old Boultby.)

*In Spain, at ENASA, the bus makers, well into the 1950s. ENASA's apprentices actually built the handful of Pegaso, a sports car that left a contemporary Ferrari for dead. l

martinf

« Reply #257 on: November 08, 2017, 06:07:54 am »
On two of my sprung Brooks saddles (a Champion Flyer and an old B66 Champion) I replaced the nuts and bolts holding the springs to the lower metal bar with stainless steel metric hex bolts. This was in order to fit a custom saddlebag support.

I put the head of the bolt at the top, and the nut underneath, and had no problems tightening the nut, the bolt head didn't really nead holding.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #258 on: November 08, 2017, 07:21:14 am »
When I got home, rats, one of the nuts that holds the saddle frame to the spring on my Brooks Flyer was gone!
I believe that is a 9/32in nut...available as a spare from Brooks here:
http://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/spare-parts/9-32-nut-bmp-183.html
...and from SJS Cycles here: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddles/brooks-nut-zinc-932-bmp183/?geoc=US

Sadly, 9/32 is 0.2813in decimal inches or 7.1438mm...neither here nor there for anything but a 9/32in wrench.

It would sure be nice if the slim Brooks tension spanner would also fit this nut, but it is sized for 13mm.

All the best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #259 on: November 08, 2017, 02:32:21 pm »
Some folks on reddit / bikewrench agreed that it's a whitworth threading. No matter, I'll just use the Brooks replacement. Somebody on facebook / The Slow Bicycle Movement had good luck accessing those nuts with needlenose pliers. Probably the main point is to use good thread lock there. I can't see much point in lots of torque - I just don't want to lose another nut!

I have one of those fancy leather Brooks tool rolls that comes with tools including some thin wrenches.... grrr, all metric!

John Saxby

« Reply #260 on: November 08, 2017, 03:41:51 pm »
One would have thought--silly me--that Brooks would have used BSC (British Standard Cycle) threads... Maybe they thought that Whitworth had a poetic ring?

geocycle

« Reply #261 on: November 08, 2017, 05:43:24 pm »
One would have thought--silly me--that Brooks would have used BSC (British Standard Cycle) threads... Maybe they thought that Whitworth had a poetic ring?

What a thread, Walt Whitman meets William Wordsworth...! Must be about as romantic as you can make a bike saddle.

geocycle

« Reply #262 on: November 08, 2017, 05:45:14 pm »
Really enjoying catching up with all the recent posts from Matt, Rual, Dan, John, Andre, Anto, Jim and others.  Thanks all!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #263 on: November 08, 2017, 07:59:17 pm »
 :)

All the best, Geo'.

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #264 on: November 08, 2017, 08:10:47 pm »
Hope that Jim can find some humour in all this as he tries to avoid skinned knuckles whilst trying to ease a nut made in the 21st century onto a 19th century design fitted with a 16th century bolt...

;)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #265 on: November 08, 2017, 09:59:38 pm »
Thanks for the good wishes! I may go shopping for open/closed end SAE wrenches... there's a new hardware store that just opened down the road. A nice excuse to buy new tools! And some high strength lock-tite!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #266 on: November 09, 2017, 03:41:41 pm »
Out and about today bagging a few geocashes.
Hit 117 with 3 near a 4,500 year old Recumbent Stone site.
Great weather and views across Aberdeenshire.
Raven is perfect for the muddy back lanes and a few narrow field crossings.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

David Simpson

« Reply #267 on: November 09, 2017, 05:43:35 pm »
Stunning photos, Matt! Thanks for posting.

- DaveS

Andre Jute

« Reply #268 on: November 09, 2017, 09:58:10 pm »
0171109_122853677_HDR-2080x1170.jpg, last of Matt's photos, looks like the human sacrifice altar stands on its side, propped against one of the standing stones.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #269 on: November 09, 2017, 10:31:29 pm »
Ha ha. No record of human sacrifice. More a solar/ planetary site, I believe.
Excuse vagueness but a little before my time. I'm sure Mr. Google will enlighten.
North East Scotlandshire had quite a few. Usually fenced off but this one was in a farmer's field.  Visitors advised to be cautious of visiting when crops growing. The corn had recently been harvested so only stubble to cross this morning.
I must confess to feeling very humble when I stand next to something created by man over 4,000 years ago.
Nothing like a bit of humble to focus life's meaning and help keep day to day troubles in perspective.

Cycling is almost a spiritual journey at times.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink