Author Topic: Crankset?  (Read 4187 times)

Thomas777

Crankset?
« on: December 21, 2016, 12:42:58 am »
I am not a Thorn bicycle owner.
Currently waiting for the Rohloff rear wheel for my wife's touring bike. Currently it is set up with a Shimano Deore triple Hollow Tech II. I could probably use this crank with only 1 ring. But I would like to explore what some of you might suggest.
Thanks!

bobs

Re: Crankset?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 01:10:10 am »
There's  nothing wrong with what you have, good reliable stuff.

Bob

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 01:57:17 am »
Hi Thomas!

I agree with BobS: You've got a nice crankset/chainset now. I deliberately chose the Shimano Deore triple Hollow Tech II crankset for my 2012 Nomad. I am running it with a single chainring and a bash guard and like it very much.

That said, I've found non-premium external/outboard bearing bottom brackets often are not as long-lived as internal BBs. There are several reasons for this: Because they seat against the BB faces, it is more critical those faces be parallel to ensure long bearing life. The bearings may not be as well shielded as internal/square taper designs, and there may be fewer or smaller ball bearings and less lube in the races, depending on the make and model.

Most importantly, external bearing BBs are sensitive to excessive bearing preload. When installing or adjusting an OBB, you want to *just* eliminate excess play and no more. It is easy to get things too tight, causing the bearings to grind themselves to dust.

I am still running a Shimano Deore OBB on one bike, but have fitted a much more robust Phil Wood unit to my Nomad. It is heavier, made of billet stainless steel, and the bearings are larger, more numerous, and better lubricated and sealed than on many competing models. I've been real pleased with the Phil unit. The Shimano units are much less expensive but not nearly as long-lived as the Phil units. I have found the choice is cheap 'n' cheerful vs. premium quality and long life. Probably six of one half-a-dozen of the other unless you a) ride lots (I do) or b) find yourself in the middle of nowhere, where a failure could be very problematic (also me).

That said, while the quality of either kind of BB can vary, it is more likely you'll achieve ultimately longer service life with an internal bearing/square taper design at lower price-points. They are better shielded, don't suffer from preload issues, and the bearings tend to be larger and better lubricated as a rule -- at least based on my autopsies of failed examples of both designs. I chose the OBB design because it was new, has a much stiffer spindle, and allows me to remove the crankarms when necessary using only a 5mm allen key.

One more argument against OBB and for internal/square taper is chainring availability. If you are running a Rohloff drivetrain, it can be useful to consider a stainless chainring for long(er) life and it can be a necessity for use with a Hebie Chainglider due to clearance issues. 104mm BCD/PCD *thin stainless* 'rings are available in fewer sizes than, say, a 110mm BCD/PCD.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 04:46:25 pm »
ROHLOFF SHOULD BE BANNED  :'(
THERE  ain't nothing wrong with deore .

bobs

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 05:10:03 pm »
There is nothing wrong with Ford but we still have Rolls Royce.

Bob

Paul S

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 05:19:15 pm »
There is nothing wrong with Ford but we still have Rolls Royce.

Bob

;D ;D ;D ;D  8)

Paul.
Peddle Power = Will Power...... & the right gears.

jags

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 05:21:39 pm »
only a rohloff owner would say that . :'(

bobs

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 06:21:16 pm »
No a Rolls Royce owner would say it also.
Anto you don't know what you're missing.

jags

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 06:29:37 pm »
Ah just don't like them Bob i can see using them on the nomad loaded adventure touring  would be great but i'll never do that kind of touring to  old to fat no feckin money  :o
so if i can get this  new bike set up with Tiagra  and a lightweight touring kit i'll be a happy camper.

alfie1952

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 06:37:25 pm »
Hi Thomas,

Deore hollowtech 2 was quoted as an upgrade from the un55 square taper bottom bracket on the build sheet for the raven  nomad mk 1. As usual Dan has given the pros and cons of both types.

Alfie  8)

bobs

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 06:44:11 pm »
Anto,

Just trying to wind you up. Your right it's not about what you have it's about how you use it.
The best bike in the world is of little use if it sits doing nothing

Bob

jags

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 08:16:53 pm »
True enough Bob, i don't mind a wind up  ;D

Thomas777

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 10:04:32 pm »
I took time to measure the chainline as it stands. The Deore triple will work by using the big ring and maybe a tin spacer on the BB to refine the chainline. As for a chain ring I will start with the 44t and if my wife is happy with the 44/16 combination I will get a Surly ring. Working PT at a LBS provides me with a nice discount!