Author Topic: clicking bottom bracket  (Read 26026 times)

geocycle

Re: clicking bottom bracket
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2016, 09:31:29 am »
It's frustrating you can't find the click.  As I mentioned above I've had it three times and managed to narrow it down by systematically going from pedal to crank to chain ring bolts, bent teeth, to EBB to BB.  I've pedalled one legged (when no one was looking) to try and isolate to left or right. At each stage everything was cleaned, swarf removed and greased.  In my cases once was a pedal, once was a crank arm and once was the EBB moving under load and creating a groove.  If you remove the EBB check to see if any of the holes have coalesced, file down any swarf and clean the shell.  I don't use a torque gauge but the EBB bolts need to be ' really quite tight' ie enough to make big dints in the alu without squashing the BB cartridge. 

Above you ask about gaps and shims.  I recall that my old raven frame had quite a visible gap between frame and EBB even when the bolts were tight which I filled with grease and never had a problem.  The RST frame seems tighter.  Good luck!

Paul S

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2016, 10:57:13 am »
I don't use a torque gauge but the EBB bolts need to be ' really quite tight' ie enough to make big dints in the alu without squashing the BB cartridge. 

I don't think damaging the cartridge should be an issue as long as one is not screwing into the Thin part of the eccentric, but the bolts certainly do have to be tight. In the middle of the Recommended Torque range it equals a considerable amount of force or as Dan succinctly put it oomph! I am not sure I would rush out and buy a torque wrench just for the eccentric but they are a very handy tool to have in your Kit.

Paul.
Peddle Power = Will Power...... & the right gears.

geocycle

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2016, 11:27:21 am »
Yes you are right Paul, the EBB is a pretty big mass of metal except in the forbidden thin section.

ají

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2016, 11:47:07 am »
i was going to ask that. what does 10-17 N 7.38-12.54 ft lb Force feel like? seems like it's pretty tight.
anyone ovalised their shell by overtightening?
I, like, Matt, seem to be constantly finding loose grub screws in the EBB shell that are not loose loose, but anything but pretty tight.

Paul S

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2016, 12:41:01 pm »
i was going to ask that. what does 10-17 N 7.38-12.54 ft lb Force feel like? seems like it's pretty tight.
I, like, Matt, seem to be constantly finding loose grub screws in the EBB shell that are not loose loose, but anything but pretty tight.

Yes, to put it simply it's 'Fairly Big Boys Tight'. The forces at play on the eccentric and the bolts when on is peddling are considerable doubly so when peddling hard like Out of the saddle. If the bolts are regularly working loose it is possible they were not tight enough to start with.

Paul.

John Saxby

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2016, 06:12:51 pm »
I use 12-13 ft-lbs on my torque wrench, and that does the trick.

BBB make a nice piece of kit, from Chain Reaction Cycles, several hex keys included. Its range is 2-14 ft-lbs.  It has a 1/4" drive, however, so I had to search online for a specialty supplier which sold me a good quality 15mm socket for a 1/4" drive -- most hardware stores I checked offered 13mm as the largest 1/4" drive socket.

Paul S

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2016, 07:06:33 pm »
Andrew,

I think I may have given you a bum steer. Looks Like I miss red an earlier post. If you have a square taper bottom bracket & want to replace the eccentric, you need the black one (for MK2). All of the rest re tension on bolts both Crank and eccentric still apply.

Sorry.

Paul.

geocycle

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2016, 07:20:23 pm »
update- just tightened up the BB screws and ive turned 1 click into 3 half clicks. hard to describe, but anyone remember this little fellow? EXACTLY LIKE THAT!

Could it be your chain? Depending on exactly what you did you may well have increased chain tension. If there is an issue with a chain link or roller this could change the noise. Try a new chain?

David Simpson

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2016, 07:46:00 pm »
If you have a square taper bottom bracket & want to replace the eccentric, you need the black one (for MK2).

I think either eccentric works with a square taper bottom bracket. For an external-bearing bottom bracket, you must use the gold one.

I have a Nomad Mk2 with a UN55 square taper bottom bracket and the gold eccentric.

Just for clarification, here are the links to SJS:

- Dave
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 07:49:46 pm by David Simpson »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2016, 08:15:28 pm »
Good points geocycle. Re tracking down the clicks.

But mine started directly after shortening the chain and rotating the EBB.
I'm pretty sure that the nuts have nothing to bite into.

After the seasonal celebrations have passed by I'll get my hands dirty and try to realign the EBB so there is a beafy part for the screws to dig into.

Fingers crossed

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Paul S

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2016, 08:39:51 pm »
If you have a square taper bottom bracket & want to replace the eccentric, you need the black one (for MK2).

I think either eccentric works with a square taper bottom bracket. For an external-bearing bottom bracket, you must use the gold one.

I have a Nomad Mk2 with a UN55 square taper bottom bracket and the gold eccentric.

Dave

Just shows how one is never to old to learn.

Cheers Dave.

ají

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2016, 08:34:09 am »
update- just tightened up the BB screws and ive turned 1 click into 3 half clicks. hard to describe, but anyone remember this little fellow? EXACTLY LIKE THAT!

Could it be your chain? Depending on exactly what you did you may well have increased chain tension. If there is an issue with a chain link or roller this could change the noise. Try a new chain?

do you think i may have rolled the eccentric around a tad? anyway, replace the chain, another thing to tick off the list. i notice matt2matt in an earlier post felt it was not chain related. i recently removed a link from my chain, tension seems nice.

ají

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2016, 08:37:25 am »

Just for clarification, here are the links to SJS:

- Dave

yep ive currently got the gold one, i'll get anothery like that.

ají

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 08:45:05 am »
quite a few posts have mentioned greasing up the EBB. Ive got some of that S&S fluorinated teflon grease, i'll have to bang some of that in there as opposed to the standard bike grease currently in. after the grubscrew tightening the EBB has so many micro clicks now it crackles.

geocycle

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 09:22:18 am »

do you think i may have rolled the eccentric around a tad? anyway, replace the chain, another thing to tick off the list. i notice matt2matt in an earlier post felt it was not chain related. i recently removed a link from my chain, tension seems nice.

When I tighten the chain I sometimes think I have the EBB exactly right and then when I tighten the bolts the tension increase again slightly, which must be a change in the EBB position.  I was just picking up on the clue that the noise had changed.  If there is a slightly damaged plate, roller or special link it may be the culprit and it is a cheap thing to check.