Author Topic: anto's plan.  (Read 7428 times)

bobs

Re: anto's plan.
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 08:48:38 pm »
I have to agree with you when the weather is good you can't beat it. But I don't miss the reversing out of the tent on all fours trying to avoid the damp flysheet at the same time trying to get your feet into crocs on the way to the toilet in the middle of the night.

Bob

jags

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 10:04:00 pm »
ah i think i would still go with the tent the way my waterworks are these days  i would be sure to upset some  guy bigger than me  in the hostal.

leftpoole

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 09:58:19 am »
I use  barbag up front and two rear panniers which are not nearly full. But we stay youth hostels or B&B now, getting to old for camping.

Hello,
I my experience the cost of B&B is prohibitive and some sites charge high for tents these days. Wild camping maybe but cheaper sites are great. I love camping and it is in the spirit of cycle touring.
John

bobs

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 11:30:03 am »
In this country it is. Abroad it can be very reasonable,  on average about  £25  for a bed and good breakfast and usually the chance to make rolls up for lunch. Like the chance to have a shower after a long day and ensure i can get my washing dry etc.
Done my fair share of wild camping  and sleeping in unusual places but I'm getting to the age that I enjoy my comforts.
Recently stayed at Aviemore  youth hostel and it cost £15 each sharing a twin room,  -8 degree outside, no contest.
Everyone idea "of the spirit of cycle touring" is different  and rightly so.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:33:20 am by bobs »

jags

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 04:45:20 pm »
it's the journey for me ,the campsite or hostal is just a stopping off spot.
as long as i'm going well on the bike the sun is on me back and i get a bit of grub at the end of the  spin i'm a happy camper. 
i never wild camped bit like u bob i like a shower at the end of the day leave me ready to face the next day.

anto.

Paul S

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 06:03:41 pm »
it's the journey for me

Absolutely! It's all about the journey aKa voyage of discovery. We all do it in different ways but it is still a Journey at the end of the day :)

Paul.
Peddle Power = Will Power...... & the right gears.

John Saxby

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 06:32:00 pm »
Go for it, Anto, and we'll cheer you on.  Look forward to hearing your plans as they take shape, the route and your story of the ride itself.

jags

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 06:46:41 pm »
John i hope it comes off i'm sitting here in agony  swollen discs not very nice  :'(
the wife  told me i was a MOAN a Minute, huh cheek fella can't complain in this house.
 thing is tho long tours could be a problem but as long as i do things right i should be ok fingers crossed.
the audax im building up is going to be heavy compaired to my carbon road bike  so i've got to get the camping gear and touring gear down as light as i can 2 panniers barbag no more than that got to get everything i need into them  and room to spare.
i wont be going off road tarmac all the way  ;)

anto