Author Topic: anto's plan.  (Read 7470 times)

jags

anto's plan.
« on: December 18, 2016, 03:59:06 pm »
Well if all goes according to plan i'm giving touring Ireland another go next year.
last time was a total disaster through no fault of my own i might add ;) hopefully if this kicks off it should be a good tour providing i get my new frame built up and  my back doesn't completely pack it the drugs keep doing what there supposed to do  and i manage to get the perfect lightweight packing list for 7 days touring not an easy task but doable  ;)
so that's the plan lads what about u guys anything stirring.

Anto.

bobs

Re: anto's plan.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 05:06:15 pm »
Looking forward to hearing about your plans.

Bob

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 07:00:40 pm »
Sounds like a corker in the works, Anto, and I'm very much looking forward to the runup to this one -- and the account afterwards.

Take care, you've got support on this.  ;)

All the best,

Dan.

alfie1952

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 08:18:54 pm »
Anto,
This is a much awaited tour and I'm  looking forward to reading about your build up and the actual tour itself. Are you going solo or looking for a partner ? Whatever, best wishes mate.
Alfie

jags

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 08:42:00 pm »
Thanks Lads,it might never happen  but i got an email from a friend in the UK yesterday  asking me if i would like to join him for this irish tour   as i said if my back doesn't cave in and i get everything else sorted then i'm game for a laugh sure why not i'll be deal a long time.

i would rather have someone to tour with than solo to be honest i get fed up on my own   ;D ;D anyway   i'll take things as they come let yis all know how it turns out..

i think i have work on next week so fingers cross the new bars and stem and sti leavers are that bit closed ,have to try and pull a stunt with the wife tho ;) some guys tell there wife everything my  wife thinks im one of those guys  ;D

anto

bikerta

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 10:56:33 pm »
Hope everything goes to plan for you Anto. You just need a little bit of that Irish luck to get you back into the touring scene. Once you pull off a successful and enjoyable tour all those other disasters will be forgotten.

Looking forward to hearing all about the new build and ultimately the pictures of the tour. I am debating doing another tour of sorts this summer too, just not sure where yet.  I managed a week following the Los Lan Cymru route from Holyhead right down through Wales to Bristol in  August. My goodness there were some pretty tough hills, far worse than any I came across on my JOGLE, mind you I am not as fit as I was 2 years ago. Luckily the weather was dry, but pretty chilly in the hills at night. I don't mind touring solo, at least you can go at your own pace and do what you want to do. There is always someone to talk to on the campsites at night, and on the Wales tour I kept running into a Polish chap who was doing the same route, but ending in Cardiff instead of heading through Chepstow. He was on a very tight budget though and was wild camping, whereas I like to know there is a toilet and shower at the end of a long day.

My bike is returning to its birthplace (SJS Cycles) on Tuesday for a well deserved service and probable replacement of rear cassette as I have some chain slippage. Trouble is that using the Sherpa as a commuter all year round is not ideal. If I had the money I would get another bike to use over the winter and keep the Sherpa just for touring. 

Jackie   

jags

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 11:12:18 pm »
Cheers Jackie fingers crossed all will go well.
i did have a few overnighters planned  anyway much nearer to home 150  circular routes up north or head west  nice trips .
i am seriously bad at reading maps no concentration not so go when you have to remember what rd to take  ,still i have a mouth as big as Galway bay so i'd just nab a local and ask  the best route  ;)

Jackie if you have never been to Ireland especially the west coast your missing out stunning place to tour providing you get the weather guess it's the same on every tour.loads of tough hills  ;D but sure thats were all the nice views are.

btw what do you guys reckon on this packing list .just seen it on utube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nDkL2jHCMg

Anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 03:03:00 am »
btw what do you guys reckon on this packing list .just seen it on utube.
It sounds reasonable to me, Anto, keeping in mind we all have different needs and preferences. There's a zillion ways to do this, all valid for one's own needs. My own packing list varies -- sometimes widely -- depending on the season, locale, trip length and time Away from resupply.

When planning what to take, I try to break things down to basics and ask what I want to carry with me for each of the following categories:
• Clothing (basics as well as spares and weather-dependent clothing)
• Cooking (usually stove, pots, fuel, and cleanup)
• Food (enough for at least several meals and some snacks/energy bars)
• Water (enough carried with me, room for extra, and a means to disinfect it and supplement with electrolytes)
• Tools (what I am most likely to need for the bike depending on location and proximity to services and spares)
• Toiletries (basics like soap, deodorant, toothbrush and paste, medications, sunscreen, contact lenses)
• Sleeping system (tent with fly and footprint, self-inflating mattress, sleeping bag, silk liner, air pillow)
• Emergency (First Aid kit, but also including my always-present compass and things like a mylar blanket and spare lighter)
• Navigation and Communications (electric gadgets usually figure in here as well -- compass, GPS, maps).

I choose my bags and packing scheme depending in how much I take in each of the above categories. At the lightest, I can meet all needs with a Carradice Camper Longflap saddlebag or go up just one notch and extend my self-sufficient range by adding my 8.5l Ortlieb handlebar bag. At the other end, it is four panniers and a handlebar bag, a rear racktop load, and perhaps the Extrawheel trailer to carry more water. It depends.  ;)

One thing to keep in mind: We all are tempted to take far, far too much stuff with us. I have often mused that at any given moment, I am *not* using ~95% of the stuff I carry. The trick is to carry the right things so by the end of a tour, you've used at least 80-90% of what you hauled with you. Some things you really do have to carry "just in case" -- for me, that is usually tools and first aid items and sometimes reserve stores of water and food. Except for patches, tubes, and pumps, I almost never need to dip into my tool kit because my bikes are always well maintained and tour-ready. I usually don't need my first aid supplies, but I do occasionally need the flexibility allowed by carrying spare water and food.

One thing do always take is a mini-pump, spare to my preferred frame-fit pump. I was wilderness-touring at altitude with my late father one time when I stood up quickly from changing his tire, stepped backwards to regain my balance on the steep slope and! -- stepped right on his pump, breaking it in two. Fortunately, my bike also had a pump, but it brought me to the sobering realization that a pump failure could have Terrible Consequences, so I've packed an extra ever since.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:53:16 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 10:35:10 am »
Cheers Dan expert advice as always thanks buddy .
my gear is are good stuff tent is great but 3.5kg  and bulky  still the bike should handle that no problem i will do a trial run when i get it on the road .
when i toured over in the uk there was one guy  who carried way to much gear  4 loaded panniers barbag  big tent the amount of stuff he had was  crazy no need for half of it.
mind u i had to much gear myself  even on the irish tour i had way to much  ,i remember thinking climbing the Healy pass in west kerry  these front pannier are heading for the ditch i cant even remember what i had in them ::)
yeah a good clever packing list is the secret to  enjoyable touring .

anto

bobs

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 01:42:02 pm »
Remember  Anto  less is better.  You would be amazed at what you can get by with.

Bob

jags

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 02:12:50 pm »
are u bob still carrying 4  panniers whats your latest set up.

anto.

bobs

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 03:06:51 pm »
I use  barbag up front and two rear panniers which are not nearly full. But we stay youth hostels or B&B now, getting to old for camping.

jags

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 06:48:31 pm »
Class job  8)
i stayed in a youth hostal in Doolan never again  shared a room with 8 other guys  all snoring out of tune .not that i'm a lover of tents but would rather have the tent.
cheers bob great looking set up and fair play your bike is class.

anto.

bobs

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 07:07:48 pm »
You can now get private room, things have moved on for the  better.

Bob

jags

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 08:11:16 pm »
Not to plenty full here in Ireland Bob if the weather was crap yeah i agree  BnB or hostal  but if it's good weather  a tent any day of the week.