Author Topic: Nomad through Israel  (Read 3369 times)

Jonathan Hanson

Nomad through Israel
« on: December 14, 2016, 12:51:45 am »
I just rode my Nomad from the Lebanon border south to Eilat on the Red Sea, detouring first to the Sea of Galilee, then around the West Bank to Jerusalem, then south through Beersheba and across the Negev. Mostly pavement but with some dirt tracks in the north and some beautiful dirt roads and camps in the Negev.

The bike performed perfectly. In retrospect the tires I chose might have been too light. They were 26x1.5" McClure Pass from Compass. Very light (366 grams), they rode and rolled beautifully, but were virtually transparent to tiny glass fragments on highways. (The Israelis are terrible litterers!) I suffered four punctures in 400-plus miles of riding. I'm certain a more stout tire would have survived without trouble.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 12:57:04 am by Jonathan Hanson »

jags

Re: Nomad through Israel
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 11:40:33 am »
 8) looks like some tough cycling .
great set up .

Pavel

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 10:50:42 pm »
Is that your tent in the firing area? A new level of adrenaline adventuring you indulge in then.  I wonder if that is what Andy had in mind when he described the Nomad as "bullet-proof"?! Makes me wonder how many kilo-tons it's rated for. :D

Jonathan Hanson

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 06:21:21 pm »
Is that your tent in the firing area? A new level of adrenaline adventuring you indulge in then.  I wonder if that is what Andy had in mind when he described the Nomad as "bullet-proof"?! Makes me wonder how many kilo-tons it's rated for. :D

Heh - no, I was past the firing area at that point. But a lot of the Negev is open range for the Israeli Air Force and Army. Every time I was tempted to chance it, a Merkava tank would rumble past in the distance, or an F16 would flash by overhead.

jags

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 06:26:35 pm »
What  :o

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 07:09:59 pm »
What  :o

+1! There's nothing like a relaxing bike ride is there!

jul

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 07:50:19 pm »
Israelis are passionate about security