Author Topic: Anyone with a Tubus Cargo Evo willing to take measurements for me?  (Read 9154 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Hi All!

I am considering a Tubus Cargo Evo for a project I have in mind and unfortunately sold-off the one I had several years ago, so I no longer have it here to take direct measurements (one should never get rid of *any*thing bike-related, let this be a lesson).   ::)

The bike in question is running 26x2.0 (full 50mm) tires, covered by 60mm mudguards. The Cargo Evo rack uses an A-framed center strut for rigidity and Tubus' published dimensions say it clears up to a 55mm wide mudguard. Of course, this depends on dropout eye placement, 'guard to tire clearance, and myriad other details. Complicating matters, Tubus changed their production dimensions after publishing the dimensions, plus the same rack is available in a 700C version that is 13mm higher!

Please, what i need to know is:
a) How far rearward of vertical (measured from the lower mounting eyelet) is the angled strut located (when measured at the top deck of the rack)
...and...
b) How far below the top deck does the angled strut widen to 64mm (to accommodate my 60mm wide mudguard plus 2mm clearance each side)
...and---
c) Is your Cargo Evo the 26in model or the 700C/28in? The 26in model measures 360mm from lower eyelet to top deck, the 700C version is 373mm.

This is an odd bike whose mounts are not well suited to a Thorn Expedition rear rack, which I would otherwise prefer. I have a Tubus Logo Evo here on another bike that presents no clearance issues, but the top is too narrow to support my rack-top pack unless I make another top deck for it. Iduhwanna trim the mudguard width for clearance, as the idea is to attach the rack only when needed and I'd like the mudguards to remain intact for when there's no rack on the bike.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

jags

Re: Anyone with a Tubus Cargo Evo willing to take measurements for me?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 09:02:01 pm »
i think the one i have is an evo.

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 09:29:32 pm »
I thought you also had a Surly rear rack.  That rack has a very wide platform.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 09:53:34 pm »
I thought you also had a Surly rear rack.  That rack has a very wide platform.
Yep, good memory, mickeg!  :) You're absolutely correct, the platform is very wide and the cross-struts provide excellent support for my rack pack.

Unfortunately, it is dedicated to the tandem for touring. It required modification to clear the unusual one-piece chainstay-seatstay. It is also pretty heavy compared to the Tubii.

I've got the Thorn Expedition on the Nomad, a Tubus Logo Evo on my primary rando bike, and the Surly Nice Rack (Rear) on the tandem. The other bikes in my fleet haul minimal cargo, so have lightweight alu rod racks, primarily to support a rack-top pack that puts them under little stress. I've broken every alu rod rear rack I've ever had in actual camp-touring use. What amount to incomplete tack welds simply snap after awhile.

This effort is for an old and very cheap MTB revised at minimal cost to work as a ReallyRoughRoadRandonneur, mostly for long-fast day rides on horrible surfaces. The Nomad is my mount of choice for any such riding involving camping.

i think the one i have is an evo.
Looking at photos, I think your Sherpa had a Tubus Logo (Classic), Anto. The Evo has the investment cast lower mount with only one eyelet. The top strut mount differs too.

All the best,

Dan.

RonS

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 06:59:59 am »
Hi, Dan

I do believe my rack is the Cargo Evo. At work now. I shall verify in AM and attempt measurements if it is indeed the correct rack.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 07:40:17 am »
Wonderful Ron! No matter the outcome, I really appreciate your thoughtfulness. Thanks!

All the best,

Dan.

alfie1952

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 04:31:20 pm »
I have the tubus cargo on the nomad, but I'm sure it's not an evo.

Alfie 8)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 04:47:32 pm »
Thanks, Alfie. With the Evo base mount, the other tubes sort of kink rearward, altering the position of the struts.

Trying to figure exact clearances from afar is surely a difficult task!  :o

All the best,

Dan.

RonS

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 08:44:48 pm »
I got some measurements for you. They are probably not exact, but I hope they will be close enough to make the decision you need. I also have a few pics, but Photobucket is not playing nice with me today.

I have the 26in version. 360mm from lower mounting bolt to top of deck.

I dropped a plumb line from the top deck to the bottom mounting hole and marked the tube on the top deck. This may be off by a mm or two, because there isn't a clear path to drop the line. I then marked the top rail at the centre line of the top of the angled strut. The distance is 110mm.

The angled strut is 64mm across at 45mm below the top of the deck. On my Raven with 60mm Planet Bike fenders, the fender crosses below the strut 60mm from the top of the deck. I have a good 5mm clearance between the fender and the strut on each side.

Will try again to attach photos later.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 09:05:43 pm »
FANTASTIC, Ron! Thank you so much!  ;D

I am not at home at the moment, but will dive right in when I reach there in a couple hours (out in the cold on the bike before the snow hits).

All the best,
Excited (!) Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 12:52:21 am »
Ron...I think it will be a "go" on the Tubus Cargo Evo rack in the 26in size, to match yours.

Thanks to your careful measurements, I feel as sure as can be it will fit with clearances to match yours.

I mounted an old thrift-shop JanDD rack and used it as a proxy, since it is the same exact height. I then used tape and a marker to mock up where the strut would come and then measured down from the top deck as you did and found the clearance to be the same at the mudguard. Still happy to see any photos you might have to better confirm.

I then mounted my Ortlieb BikeBacker Plus bags and clipped one of my shoes into the pedal and checked for heel-bag clearance. With some adjustment of the clips on the rail, I got a good result. Now, I am hoping the soon arriving Thorn 45°, 172.5mm Accessory T-bar will play nicely with the rack, the Thudbuster LT, and the Carradice Camper Longflap saddlebag on this bike, as it sure would be great to have all be compatible.

Fingers crossed! If it doesn't work, it won't be for lack of trying, effort, or foresight. I sure do appreciate your efforts, Ron.

All the best,

Dan.

RonS

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 07:05:05 pm »
Photo bucket still not playing nice, but Google is still my friend, so I found another playmate (TinyPic). Hope these help.

How's the winter storm down your way? We are expecting 15cm/6in snow here, which will effectively paralyze the city. Easterners will be laughing ( I can hear you, John! ), but, the last time Vancouver had such a snow event was eight years ago! At least it will be on a weekend so people can just stay home.

Plumb line

Top rail. Measuring from where plumb line intersects top rail.
In case you were wondering, the clear tape on the rack is ISC Helicopter Tape. It is doing a great job so far in stopping pannier abrasion.

Calipers at 64mm

String at 64mm. I couldn't get a level photo because of the taillight, but the string is about 15mm above fender at this point.

Fender clearance

Any other measurements, just ask. I'm happy to help.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:06:55 pm by RonS »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 07:28:29 pm »
Absolutely terrific, Ron! Your photos confirm the measurements and all should be well.

Thanks so much! I'm really happy and pleased with your kind efforts and the results. Plainly, the Evo has changed in production from the depiction shown in Tubus' engineering dimension drawing. It failed to depict the angled struts at the Evo foot and also the radius of the angled support strut is larger than shown in the drawing. I think I'm home free and can order with a high degree of confidence.

The snow has missed us here in Eugene, located at the southern end of the Willamette Valley. The hills on the west, south, and east sides of town are all snow-coated, and my driveway is covered in about 3mm of ice floating on water. I'm not sure how that happened...maybe it is melting from below? I walked out to the post box and ended up skating in my shoes. Planned to take the bike out, but I'm having trouble standing in it.

No real cause for complaint compared to those further East and feeling grateful it is not worse. The Old Farmer's Almanac seems to be spot-on so far, predicting an unusually warm-wet October and November for us here, followed by three "snow events" for December and January. If this keeps up, we've got two more to deal with.

Thanks again!

All the best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 03:58:32 am »
Nice, this talk about racks and riding and all, kinda gives me a vicarious buzz...

Not a whole lotta snow here, but -14 tonight bef the windchill is factored in, and a week hence, the forecast is for high temps in the minus double digits. The good news is that, if such weather holds, we might be skating on the canal ny New year's Eve.

Meantime, I just check my to-do list for boxing my Eclipse for its first-ever trip Down Unda in Feb :-)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 04:26:06 am »
Feeling not smug but awfully fortunate to not be dealing with the ColdWetStuff you are! Yes, it is wet here and we had a small spate of icy stuff, but nothing to compare with yours on any given winter.

Downside to ours is a feared drought likely to start earlier than usual next spring instead of summer.

Heartfelt sympathy and condolences your way; hoping the days before Oz pass quickly so you can enjoy some real summer cycling on the Eclipse soonest!

Dan. (...who would send you better if he could)