Author Topic: weather report's  (Read 11990 times)

jags

weather report's
« on: December 01, 2016, 04:04:37 pm »
What's the weather like in your part of the world lads.
here in Ireland well at least my town it's baltic freezing fog thick as soup and lots more to come :'(
seriously don't like winter  miserable feckin weather .

anto.

John Saxby

Re: weather report's
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 04:25:40 pm »
Nothing but snow-freezing rain-rain-fog here for the past ten days, and only in the last 12 hrs has it started to dry out a bit. Only city riding for groceries & such as a result, plus giving my Rohloff its annual oil change & catching up on the cycling forums.  Forecast for the next few days is sunny-ish and then colder, down to -8 at night as per usual at this time of year. So there won't be much cycling either in the days just ahead, as there's a "black ice" warning.  Of course there's no such thing as black ice -- the saying refers to a very fine and very dangerous layer of ice on tarmac in the early morning, which sends cars & trucks into ditches and each other (or worse, pedestrians), 'cos motorists still don't know (or seem to care) about what goes on between their tires & the road.

jags

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 04:33:51 pm »
i care John that bloody black ice caused me to crash and ended up flat on my back with broken collorbone  :'( :'(
these days i go walking when there's a chance of black ice  or heavy frost.

anto.

alfie1952

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 05:57:22 pm »
It has been a rather mild day here in sunny Edinburgh. Plus it never, ever rains here
 Alfie 8)

jags

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 06:33:11 pm »
yeah right  ::)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 07:05:16 pm »
Mild and windless here in Aberdeenshire on the east coast of Scotland.
We spent 18 years on the West coast and is was considerably wetter.
Nearer the Highlands as well.
😉
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 07:17:43 pm »
stay put so Matt. ;)

Mike Ayling

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 09:49:58 pm »
Here in Melbourne Australia we are officially in Summer as of 1 December.
After the coldest, wettest Spring that I can remember(every ones roses were magnificent this year) it is finally starting to warm up it has been 20C every day this week.
We did have a day of 32C about two weeks ago then back to 15C.
It has not rained for about two weeks now.

Cheers

Mike

in4

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 11:00:17 pm »
I'm avoiding the UK winter this year. I'm spending time in Darwin, Australia. With daytime temps of 32c and humidity currently at 79% its a bit testing. My friends have a 140 acre property with a wet season lagoon on. I can just about ride around the perimeter but it'll soon be impassable owing to the rain filling the lagoon up. The Mozzies have a taste for mutton so I currently resemble a dartboard!

jags

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 11:07:12 pm »
i feel for you mike must be terrible having to endure that sun  :'(

anto .
jealous who me  ???

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 11:28:20 pm »
It has been relatively mild here s far in Oregon's Southern Willamette Valley, but that will change when the predicted snow falls on us Monday. There's already snow in the mountains and the ski resorts are opening left and right. Merely cool and overcaet at present with some sogginess from periods of rain today.

This topic seems as good a place as any to post one of my favorite online weather links, originally recommended by a friend from Aachen, Germany:
www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=de

Also available in English, it tracks lightning strikes worldwide and is a fantastic tool to use when touring pretty much wherever you might be. I used it extensively for my 2014 European double-crossing and it is both accurate and detailed enough to allow one to alter paths in real time to avoid nearby lightning strikes. I'd had two very close calls before finding this app. Once in Bulgaria, lightning struck just across the road from me and split a tree. Near Melk in Germany, lightning struck the water alongside my bike path not more than 4-5 meters away and I could feel the heat the entire length of my body on that side. Too close!

This little tool made it possible to steer well clear of other strikes <whew!>. Highly recommended and especially handy for desert touring, where the weather can change quickly and cover is hard to find.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 03:44:30 am »
Thanks for this, Dan--interesting and useful tool, for sure.

I took a quick squiz at southern Africa, which around this time of year has colossal, terrifying and lethal thunderstorms. But I think that the scanning/recording doesn't include that continent -- when I licked on the different parts of the region, I got only a light-green wash, and no records of strikes comparable to those shown for N America.  (The legend on the left-hand side says America, Oceania, and Europe.)

Other things equal, if I were touring in southern Africa, it would be in the cold season anyway -- the highveld in thunderstorm season is no place for a cyclist.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 04:11:19 am »
I'm avoiding the UK winter this year. I'm spending time in Darwin, Australia. With daytime temps of 32c and humidity currently at 79% its a bit testing. My friends have a 140 acre property with a wet season lagoon on. I can just about ride around the perimeter but it'll soon be impassable owing to the rain filling the lagoon up. The Mozzies have a taste for mutton so I currently resemble a dartboard!

Watch out for crocodiles in that lagoon!

Mike

Mike Ayling

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 04:16:41 am »
i feel for you mike must be terrible having to endure that sun  :'(

anto .
jealous who me  ???

Anto mate,

Everyone that I know over 60 is having melanomas cut off them.

I wear long sleeves and long trousers and a hat whenever I go out.
On the bike with the helmet lots of SPF 50

Cheers

Mike

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 04:26:46 am »
I took a quick squiz at southern Africa, which around this time of year has colossal, terrifying and lethal thunderstorms. But I think that the scanning/recording doesn't include that continent -- when I licked on the different parts of the region, I got only a light-green wash, and no records of strikes comparable to those shown for N America.  (The legend on the left-hand side says America, Oceania, and Europe.)
I've had pretty good luck, John. Every once in awhile, the data links go down and you'll get the odd coloring, but most of the time it seems to work okay for me...(see below). I hope you'll have good luck with it.

All the best,

Dan.