Author Topic: How easy is it?  (Read 9939 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
Re: How easy is it?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2016, 09:56:31 pm »
Jags,

Round here we have the end of the Trans Pennine Trail and the Leeds to Liverpool canal tow path. Also pinewoods and trails so plenty of opportunity for going off-road (or rough-stuff as it used to be known). I do not thrash my bikes down single track (have you seen the Red Bull videos? ;D). I'm a follower of Albert Winstanley and his kind of cycling if anyone still remembers him.
Scout & Bettina's slave!

lewis noble

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2016, 10:21:45 pm »
The RST will be ideal for that sort of use, good luck with it.  We would all love to hear how you get on.  With the bike already  built an on offer, I guess you didn't get much choice re tyres etc., but that is nothing to worry about - SJSC will have fitted it with sound all-round tyres and they can easily be changed if you later fancy something different.

Enjoy the bike!  I've done the TransPennine trail, with a few add-ons - from Lancaster to my home in Sheffield, with a deviation to Macclesfield to stay with my daughter.  I was on a Raven Tour at that time, a bit heavier than the RST, I now ride a Sherpa with lightweight wheels, forks etc. 

Lewis

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2016, 10:40:02 pm »
Either of those are lovely machines, Tab'; hard to go wrong with either.

I'd think the gearing could be changed for a modest upcharge if that is the sticking point for you.

All best wishes in your selection. It's always enjoyable when new-bike excitement is in the air!

Dan.

jags

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 10:47:18 pm »
Jags,

Round here we have the end of the Trans Pennine Trail and the Leeds to Liverpool canal tow path. Also pinewoods and trails so plenty of opportunity for going off-road (or rough-stuff as it used to be known). I do not thrash my bikes down single track (have you seen the Red Bull videos? ;D). I'm a follower of Albert Winstanley and his kind of cycling if anyone still remembers him.
sounds fantastic TabbyCat the rst will handle any kind of surface that's for certain ;)   there's a lot of  greenways here in sunny Ireland but there all newly built with smooth tarmac, i haven't been on any yet i usually stick to back roads mostly traffic free but loads of hills ,still if i'm on my own hills ain't a problem.anyway enjoy the new baby and post loads photos ,btw have u any tours planned or are u a bit like me who likes a good bike for all occasions ,(i was going to say under your ass but Dan would probably edit that bit out)even thought he knows i'm only having the craic.

jags.

jags

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 10:51:22 pm »
Hi all,
The bike I'm getting is already made up. Apparently it was built during 'down' time and has flat handlebars and 531 cro-mo forks and is on offer ;). The reason I asked about carbon forks is because there is another (drop handlebars) in my size that has carbon forks which I thought was a little odd on a 26" wheeled tourer. However, it looks nice and has even lower gears than the one I want. I've gone for flat bars because I get pain in my upper arms/shoulders on drops and I prefer to sit up.
only just seen this .girl you should have tried both bikes before you parted with your dosh.the drop bars and carbon fork sounds good to me ,if i had kept my beautiful sherpa i would have fitted a carbon fork ,i dont like front panniers  kills the feel of a bike IMHO.but sure what would i know  ;D ;D

alfie1952

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 11:34:46 pm »
Congratulations on your new bike, a thorn rst , green, flat bars and honey brooks b17. Sounds  great. Wishing you many happy miles, and please keep us posted on your adventures.

Regards Alfie 8)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:03:32 am by alfie1952 »