Author Topic: How easy is it?  (Read 9901 times)

RST Scout

• Janet
Re: How easy is it?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 06:58:01 pm »
so TabbyCat did u buy a new rst .

jags.

Not yet. I'm still dithering but I do have my eye on one. Currently trying to sell a Leica camera and lenses to finance new bike. God alone knows how long that will take :-(
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 07:00:30 pm »
At least on a Raven Tour I used extensively, I found removing and replacing the rear wheel was not as involved as on a derailleur bike. Shift into Gear 14, the two cables quickly untwist at the bayonet connections, and the wheel simply drops out after opening the hub quick relwase. Simply reverse the steps to reinsert the wheel.

On my Nomad with external Rohloff shiftbox, unscrewing the thumbwheel for the shifter is even faster than undoing the internal shifter's paired bayonet connectors but in practice, it is a wash as the time differs by only a couple of seconds. Both quick and easy, usually moreso than on a bike with derailleur drivetrain.

Best,

Dan.

Oh thanks for that. It sounds easy. I'm fairly hands on with my bikes.
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 07:08:42 pm »
ME ,huh not a chance  Alfie  i don't trust them no matter what u say  ;D ;D
rohloff just got no style man  ::)

jags.

I'd say they have style in their simplicity.  8)
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 08:21:50 pm »
TabbyCat don't buy a rohloff bike you wan't a bike with SOUL  8)
if your going for  a Thorn buy the Audax 853 deck her out in dura ace  carbon wheels compass tyres  cost you lots but your worth it i reckon.

anto.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2016, 10:13:11 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
Scout & Bettina's slave!

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 10:15:44 pm »
"cost you lots but your worth it i reckon."

I'm blushing now!
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 10:24:36 pm »
your the second person i made blush tonight ,it's me good looks and irish charm. ;)

anto.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 11:08:18 pm »
I've decided on a RST, green with flat bars and honey B17 saddle. Out of interest. What is the point of a carbon fork instead of a 531 fork, apart from weight that is?
Scout & Bettina's slave!

jags

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 10:36:09 am »
the carbon fork will soak up the bumps better also make for a stiffer front better handling  looks  8) 8).

why straight bars the drops will give you way more hand positions  much more comfy,u can tuck in way better (head winds /down hill) with drops ;)

be certain to get the right tyres  light  slick  dont buy a heavy tyre you will regret it .anyway very best of luck enjoy every pedal stroke.

anto.

geocycle

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 11:14:45 am »
I've decided on a RST, green with flat bars and honey B17 saddle. Out of interest. What is the point of a carbon fork instead of a 531 fork, apart from weight that is?

Great, welcome to the RST in BRG with flat bars and a brooks B17 owners club!  A small and select bunch.  Here's mine demonstrating the art of camouflage at Coniston Water this weekend.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:16:59 am by geocycle »

bobs

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 11:19:45 am »
It's a big mistake to ask  advice here as everyone is different.  I would go for steel fork, straight  handle bars for a more rideable and comfortable position and wide puncture proof  tyres which allow you to go anywhere  you want.
Unless you want to hammer everywhere as fast as you can on good  roads then Jag's option is good.

Bob

jags

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 01:47:39 pm »
firm believer in making cycling as easy as possible  fast is not as bad as it sounds.mind you i'm to feckin old to be going fast  :'(

i never go off road here, as far as i know theres no off road routes in my area well most of the roads are crap anyway .
when i had the sherpa i had marathon plus  at the beginning terrible tyres when i changed to the supreams it gave the bike a  much more livelier feeling .
most people are under the impression the lighter the bike and gear  the worst it's going to ride could not be more wrong ,go as light as you can enjoy the ride.
this is the reason i went for the Audax  it's going to carry my lightweight load no problem  and going to tackle hills that bit easier.
if i could afford it (i can't) i would build my audax up with Dura Ace  carbon wheels and bars light fast super strong and look super cool. 8)
sure i might as well dream here as in bed.

jags.
meant to say you can go slow on a light bike . ;D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:20:23 pm by jags »

martinf

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 06:49:38 pm »

Carbon is lighter, but more prone to catastrophic failures if scratched or otherwise damaged. The 531 steel forks on an RST are reasonably light and absorb bumps quite well, though probably not as much as carbon.

But having once had a fork fail while riding (very old steel fork), I prefer steel or titanium for forks.

martinf

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 07:13:37 pm »
It's a big mistake to ask  advice here as everyone is different.  I would go for steel fork, straight  handle bars for a more rideable and comfortable position and wide puncture proof  tyres which allow you to go anywhere  you want.

Agree on steel fork, I've seen a lot of broken carbon frames/forks/wheels, apart from my own fork failure, not many catastrophic failures on steel parts.

Handlebars are personal preference - despite getting older I still like drops, wife likes swept back bars as used on "sit up and beg" roadsters. Neither of us like mountain-bike style bars where hands are at about 90 degrees to the bikes longitudinal axis, though we do have them on the Bromptons and one of my utility bikes (on this I use the bar ends a lot).

With an RST, the biggest tyres possible while still retaining reasonable mudguard clearance would be about 1.6". Marathon Supremes in 1.6" width are an easy-rolling but still comfortable tyre, with moderately good puncture resistance and still quite light. My wife has these in the 650B wheel size (in between 700C and 26") and thinks them a great improvement on the lightweight 700Cx28 tyres she had on her previous bike, much more comfortable without being appreciably slower.

I went for slightly smaller and more fragile 1.35" Kojaks on my RST. These are still quite comfortable, maybe a wee bit faster on good road surfaces but not as good as Marathon Supreme 1.6" on rough surfaces (towpaths, etc.). But I got my RST for fast riding on good roads, I have other bikes with 2.0" Marathon Supremes for heavy touring, mild off-road and general use.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:15:23 pm by martinf »

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 09:45:42 pm »
Hi all,
The bike I'm getting is already made up. Apparently it was built during 'down' time and has flat handlebars and 531 cro-mo forks and is on offer ;). The reason I asked about carbon forks is because there is another (drop handlebars) in my size that has carbon forks which I thought was a little odd on a 26" wheeled tourer. However, it looks nice and has even lower gears than the one I want. I've gone for flat bars because I get pain in my upper arms/shoulders on drops and I prefer to sit up.
Scout & Bettina's slave!