Author Topic: Reactiin to Proofide???  (Read 6221 times)

Paul S

Reactiin to Proofide???
« on: November 30, 2016, 06:00:59 pm »
I gave my B17 an application of Proofide last week, using my forefinger & then forgot about it until the next morning.

When I went to polish off it looked like this..

???
I don't understand it, nor do Thorn / SJS & Brooks have yet to pass comment.

I am not complaining but would like to understand.

Paul.

Peddle Power = Will Power...... & the right gears.

bobs

Re: Reactiin to Proofide???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 06:36:35 pm »
Not seen anything like that before.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 06:51:01 pm »
So sorry, Paul.

I have run into this exact-same thing only once before and it required some detective work to find the spot was caused by an adhesive inventory control sticker (like a sticky-back price tag) that had been applied and then fallen off at some point before final sale/my purchase. Storage in warm conditions (California warehouse in summer) was an added component.

Apparently, the adhesive residue (invisible till I applied Proofide) locally altered the way the leather absorbed the dressing and left a similar unsightly spot. This was on a special limited edition B.17 Champion Special from another vendor some years ago. After we figured out what happened, they spoke to the distributor to prevent a recurrence with the tag placement and I effected an exchange.

Based on this, I'm guessing your very similar appearing problem was also caused by sticker residue that remained invisible till the Proofide hit it.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 06:58:15 pm by Danneaux »

Paul S

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 08:55:13 pm »
So sorry, Paul.
I have run into this exact-same thing only once before and it required some detective work to find the spot was caused by an adhesive inventory control sticker (like a sticky-back price tag) that had been applied and then fallen off at some point before final sale/my purchase. Storage in warm conditions (California warehouse in summer) was an added component.
Apparently, the adhesive residue (invisible till I applied Proofide) locally altered the way the leather absorbed the dressing and left a similar unsightly spot. This was on a special limited edition B.17 Champion Special from another vendor some years ago. After we figured out what happened, they spoke to the distributor to prevent a recurrence with the tag placement and I effected an exchange.
Based on this, I'm guessing your very similar appearing problem was also caused by sticker residue that remained invisible till the Proofide hit it.
Best,
Dan.

Dan,

No need to be sorry!

That possibility would have taken my mind ... ???..... well shall we just say rather a long time to get to.

Thanks for your insight 8)

Paul.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 09:50:54 pm »
I prefer a different model which was discontinued several years ago.

But when it was out of production and I wanted another black one, the only one I could find was a honey one so I reluctantly bought it.

I assumed a tour was the most likely place for me to damage a saddle or suffer loss.  Thus, I put the honey one on for most of my subsequent tours, but usually that saddle is not used when I am at home.   It now has a dark brown patina, the entire saddle has a color similar to the spot on your saddle.  And it now might be my most comfortable Brooks since most times that I have used it, it was all day long.  Thus, very well broken in. 

leftpoole

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 09:54:46 am »
Hello
I have had the same but with a larger patch. I eventually sold on the saddle because I found the appearance unsightly!
John

jags

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 10:42:27 am »
just scrub off the proofhide  put some leather dye on the saddle polish with boot polish  should work fine.

Paul S

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 12:05:44 pm »
I assumed a tour was the most likely place for me to damage a saddle or suffer loss.  Thus, I put the honey one on for most of my subsequent tours, but usually that saddle is not used when I am at home.   It now has a dark brown patina, the entire saddle has a color similar to the spot on your saddle.  And it now might be my most comfortable Brooks since most times that I have used it, it was all day long.  Thus, very well broken in.

I think you are pretty much spot on with that. I gave mine another coat of Proofide yesterday morning & left it until this morning. The saddle is blending with the patch / blotch. I recon a month or few of interaction between it & me bum will sort out the rest  ;) :D

Paul.

alfie1952

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 12:07:56 pm »
Anto,
 What happens when the polish comes off on your lovely new white shorts and leaves a brown mark at your  backside. Try telling people " Honestly it's boot polish" , aye right.
Auld smelly bum :D :D

8)

jags

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 12:49:28 pm »
Anto,
 What happens when the polish comes off on your lovely new white shorts and leaves a brown mark at your  backside. Try telling people " Honestly it's boot polish" , aye right.
Auld smelly bum :D :D

8)
oh yee of little faith  ;D ;D
  Alfie i used to polish my  B 17special never had any complaints .

martinf

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 07:26:53 pm »
lovely new white shorts

Ever wondered why most cycle shorts are black?

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 03:03:02 am »
I wore some khaki shorts one day on a Brooks that I had applied Proofide to recently.  About 100 km distance, several hours.  Have not worn those on a Brooks since then.

John Saxby

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 03:54:58 am »
George, you might try Obenauf's, sold online, based in Idaho, here: http://www.obenaufs.com/ (Perhaps you already know it?) Superior stuff, which I learned several years ago about from a hiking forum. When I bought my Brooks B17 in 2012, my LBS had no Proofide, so I just used Obenauf's. First application the heavy-duty wax, thereafter, just the leather oil. Works a treat. It's beeswax-based, as you may know, and it doesn't leave unsightly stains where you don't want them.  That said, I don't use light-coloured shorts or longs, as a rule. No serious smudges on khaki, light green, or tan, however.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 04:19:23 am »
lovely new white shorts

Ever wondered why most cycle shorts are black?

Beat me to it!

Mike

mickeg

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 04:19:19 pm »
George, you might try Obenauf's, sold online, based in Idaho, here: http://www.obenaufs.com/ (Perhaps you already know it?) Superior stuff, which I learned several years ago about from a hiking forum. When I bought my Brooks B17 in 2012, my LBS had no Proofide, so I just used Obenauf's. First application the heavy-duty wax, thereafter, just the leather oil. Works a treat. It's beeswax-based, as you may know, and it doesn't leave unsightly stains where you don't want them.  That said, I don't use light-coloured shorts or longs, as a rule. No serious smudges on khaki, light green, or tan, however.

Thanks, but if my only complaint is that I can't use one pair of convertible pants (zip off legs convert to shorts) unless I put a cover on the saddle first, that complaint is so minor that I am not going to change boats mid-stream.  Plus, I just bought another tin of Proofide. 

What surprised me the most was that those khaki pants I wore on my honey saddle.  So, can't figure out why a stain from a saddle that has almost no dye in it would transfer.  But two washings in the washing machine fixed the pants so no permanent damage done.  The manufacturer of those pants stopped selling the khaki color and only sells black now.

My other leather stuff, such as boots, I use Nikwax for waterproofing.  It is not as waterproof as some of the sealants that clog up the pores, but overall I am pretty happy with the performance from that too.