Author Topic: Morbid, moi?  (Read 4980 times)

Matt2matt2002

Morbid, moi?
« on: November 30, 2016, 12:57:26 pm »
Mrs Matt has recently arranged both our wills and power of attorney.
Always forward thinking is Mrs Matt.

Got me thinking about my bike, equipment and tools.
Shame not to see them go to a good home.
Both my kids don't cycle tour.

Any thoughts as to where / how best to arrange future ' events' for when the times come to peddle off in that final your?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

Re: Morbid, moi?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 01:08:25 pm »
I'm leaving my   road bike to my grandson here in ireland. and the audax to my grandson in america.well thats the plan ,mind u haven't made a will yet we we just chatting about it the other night.one of the lads i cycle with is a solicitor he's always on to me about making a will.
anyway let hope we are peddling for a few more years like to stay above ground as long as possible. 

Templogin

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 03:06:17 pm »
I don't know how many of you have met Matt, and I have no idea how old he really is, but he looks about 27, in which case this all seems a bit premature to me!

ians

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 03:38:50 pm »
No.

I think it's better to think about these things while we're still able to think.  My mountain bike has gone to 're-cycle for Africa' which provides bikes for kids to get about.  I like the idea of someone in Africa riding to school on my Kona Fire Mountain.  Steel framed and in great condition it should last a while.

My wife's mountain bike has gone to Cyclist fighting Cancer which buys bikes for young children who, because of their cancer treatment, aren't particularly mobile - but can sit on a bike.  And we all know that exercise is key to recovery.  Adult bikes are either sold to raise funds or donated to parents/older siblings so they can go on a bike ride as well.

ians

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 04:52:46 pm »
I don't know how many of you have met Matt, and I have no idea how old he really is, but he looks about 27, in which case this all seems a bit premature to me!

Very nice compliment - thanks.

Reverse those digits and you're pretty close.

My wife's parents passed away a few years ago - and their 'estate' - although small - was a real mess to sort out.
Only folks who benefited were the legals guys.
Mr's Matt decided for us both that it was best to take steps now and save our kids as much hassle as possible.

Once it was done - and a fat cheque handed over to the solicitor - well - that's it off our minds. Just a question of keeping paper work up to date and an easily accessed record of what's what.
Not that there is a lot!

If I go first, I've told Mrs Matt to let you folks know and perhaps some of you could come to a consensus as to who gets the Raven?
This is still withing the Muppet Thread guidelines?

Matt - who is feeling quite well at the moment.

jags

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 05:07:21 pm »
glad your feeling well Matt you have a lot more tours in your legs.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 05:13:42 pm »
Any thoughts as to where / how best to arrange future ' events' for when the times come to peddle off in that final your?
Well, you could always contact or give them to me!  :D

Less avaricious than it might seem, as I kept none for myself and have re-homed bikes for a half-dozen people who either died or gave up on cycling due to deteriorating health.

It is not so easy as it seems, but pretty enjoyable in the end.

Some I have found exact matches for where there was need -- sometimes desperate -- for a bike instead of, say, a car. In one case, deteriorating eyesight meant the end of car ownership and rediscovery of a bicycle as a primary means of transport and eventually led to an entire fitness program for someone who had not cycled since childhood. In another case, I parted out the bike in the best of ways, using it as organ donor to revitalize four others for community members in need through the local bike co-op: This meant a frame transplant in one case, wheels to replace a stolen pair in another, brakes for a third bike, and new(er) chainset, chain and cassette for a bike whose drivetrain had worn to dust.

In the case of death (2), the original owner didn't know the final outcome of my efforts, but in the other four cases, I took care to document the eventual fate of each bike and this provided some comfort and -- in once case -- a developing friendship between former and new owner.

In each case, the owners contacted me well in advance of their final decision so this allowed time to make arrangements for best use of their former bikes.

Just a thought or two...or six. It has worked well for all concerned and removed virtually all the morbidity that might obtain otherwise and resulted in some real happiness for others, a net gain in my book.

All the best,

Dan.

julk

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 05:38:24 pm »
It is good to plan for the future, but live in the present.

To put it in perspective, at a not too long ago KM Rally I met cyclist from the locality who was 100 and still cycling!
His only concern was his eyesight was no longer good enough to ride out on his own.

I must think about making a will.
Julian (who reached 70 last week)

alfie1952

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 06:00:16 pm »
And a very young looking 70 at that.
 Alfie
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:10:02 pm by alfie1952 »

jags

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 06:31:53 pm »
congrats Julian 70 is a good number not as good as 20  but still good. ;)

anto.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 10:16:58 pm »
It is good to plan for the future, but live in the present.

Good advice.
I like to draw in the past for good memories and experience but not dwell there.

Should we start a philosophical thread?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 02:23:16 am »
Today's mail (January 31st) brought a delayed response to a Christmas card sent to friends before the holidays.

It came from the wife of a former neighbor and longtime friend I mentored into cycling two decades ago. 'Turns out they recently purchased a new home in Eastern Oregon, 'round the corner from an unregulated railroad crossing on a blind corner, long regarded as dangerous by locals. My friend had just left his house for work and did not see the freight train traveling at 72kmh before it impacted the passenger-side door of his pickup truck, killing him instantly. The memorial service took place in early December and I had no idea.

Now, his wife is left with his sizable collection of bikes and no idea what to do with them after 36 years together. Really difficult. He was 53 and in superb health. Things happen. I'm still shaken by the news and will help when and if she wishes. One more reason to make plans for the future of your cycling collection "just in case" the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be an oncoming train.

All the best,

Dan.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 06:01:41 am »
Today's mail (January 31st) brought a delayed response to a Christmas card sent to friends before the holidays.
Dan.

Time must fly in your part of the world, Dan!

It is only Jan 3 here in OZ!.

Mike

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 06:11:52 am »
Right you are, Mike! What was I thinking? It is still December 31 here in Oregon USA as I type this reply.  :)

All the best and wishes for a Happy New Year.

leftpoole

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 10:57:09 am »
Hello,
What sizes are your bikes?
Regards,
John