Author Topic: The e-Bike Time of Life  (Read 10679 times)

Templogin

The e-Bike Time of Life
« on: November 24, 2016, 10:53:47 am »
After fighting to get out on the Thorn in some hideous weather, and being too old/fat to do the daily commute to work by bike, 17 miles each way, I decided that the time had come to supplement the eXp with an e-bike.  This would at least give me some help, which could actually improve my fitness by taking on conditions that I wouldn't be able to hack unassisted.  I was keen on a Brompton for the folding ability, but Brompton rules mean that their dealer network are not allowed to ship them, and the customer has to come into the shop to pick up the bike and get a safety lecture - a folding bike being somewhat close to rocket-science obviously!  I am a 12 hour ferry ride from the nearest Brompton dealer so I took my £3,000 budget and two years of indecision elsewhere.

In the end I bought an ARCC converted Moulton TSR8.  I have already got 3 Moultons: a TSR30, an APB 21 (Land Rover edition) and a mark 2 F-frame.  I have mixed feelings about the small wheel format, fast accelerating they might be, but I spend more time trying to maintain momentum, so the large wheels of the Thorn are far more beneficial for me.  The TSR frames are separable, rather than folding, so basically a real faff to take apart, consisting of making sure that the bike is in the right gear, splitting cables at the splitters, removing a pivot bolt and wresting the frame apart.  It certainly has nothing on the S&S coupling that the lucky ones have on their Thorns, but the thin lattice tubed frame of the Moulton would preclude S&S fittings.

Is there anything good about this bike?  Well, yes.  The motor is in the front wheel, which takes the strain off the hub, but more interesting is that the electricity is delivered from Bosch batteries that are more commonly used in lawnmowers and strimmers etc.  Supposedly good for 30 miles depending on so many different factors, but surprisingly excluding the alignment of the planets, I am expecting considerably less, so have bought 2 batteries to give me a more reasonable range.

The plan is to start with a fairly high assistance level and then gradually lower it, but only on days that the eXp would be unsuitable due to the conditions.  Even if the e-bike only uses a third of the effort in the first place, it will improve my fitness by getting me out on the bike, and will mean that I never have to sit on the turbo trainer again - a loathsome experience at best.

The eXp will still be my touring bike.  You can tour on a Moulton, I have done it, but it is unable to carry the weight that the eXp can, and camping is less comfortable without the chandeliers.

Andy
Shetland

bobs

Re: The e-Bike Time of Life
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 12:27:36 pm »
When you see the amount of E bikes in German and Austria it's the way to go if you need assistance.

Bob

bobs

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 12:32:27 pm »
My first choice would be a Raise Muller

Delite GX rohloff
Ultimate riding pleasure in the mountains: extremely robust Rohloff 14-speed hub gear, enormous ratio range, static shifting possible, Fat MTB Tires, Shimano Deore XT disc brakes

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 04:16:22 pm »
All congratulations,  Andy, on your new fitness plan and all best wishes too.

So often, all one needs is a little boost at the start of a new fitness regimen, and your strategy seems a sound one to me.

You'll be getting out and about on the bike and there's little better than that. You still have the eXp waiting in the wings for that Someday tour.

All the best,

Dan.

Templogin

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 09:01:44 pm »
Thanks a lot folks.  I am sure that I will off touring somewhere next year on the eXp.  I might even get further than Scotland!

Andy

energyman

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 06:11:16 pm »
I bought an e-bike step through, not that I need an "assistance" bike but because I didn't want to have to buy it as a "distress" purchase in the future.
6 months on I have discovered (and this was confirmed by a friend with an electric recumbent today) that all it does is help one up hills and push ones average speed up by about 3mph.  It also lets me do longer distances.  I still seem to get a workout.  So I'm pleased with it.  I do get a bit of ribbing but who cares ?
It's a great means of transport and it will keep me cycling.  But I still like my RST the best !

Templogin

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 06:13:25 pm »
Yes, my eXp will always be my best bike!

Ignore the ribbing, you'll be overtaking them on the hills soon enough!

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 06:54:13 pm »
Good on yer, Andy, the future is now. Look forward to your reports.

Templogin

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 07:01:28 pm »
That will have to be on another site.  It's a long review, from the intial thought processes to purchase, to waiting the lead time, to delivery.  Respecting that this is a Thorn site, and SJS' only mentions in my review are as suppliers of the pedals and Ergon grips, £77 part of a £3,300 sale.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 08:35:07 pm »
That will have to be on another site.  It's a long review, from the intial thought processes to purchase, to waiting the lead time, to delivery.  Respecting that this is a Thorn site, and SJS' only mentions in my review are as suppliers of the pedals and Ergon grips, £77 part of a £3,300 sale.
Super, Andy, and all good on ya. Just post an offsite link and you'll be fine.  ;)

All the best,

Dan.

Templogin

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 02:46:01 pm »
The loooong and rambling report is here.  No pictures though due to iPad problems, which will be sorted this weekend

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/arcc-moulton-and-the-process-of-getting-there-long.26238/

Andy
Shetland
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:59:13 pm by Templogin »

jags

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 04:41:19 pm »
the bikes of the future is most certainly ebikes they will get faster longer battery life simple charging  8) 8)

leftpoole

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 09:52:58 am »
Hello,
I have serious Heart issues alongside other medical needs.
I would rather give up cycling than be seen on a electrical bike!!!!!
My opinion only of course, but cycling is for cycling.
John

Templogin

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 10:13:09 am »
Each to their own, but I am thoroughly enjoying it and wish that I had done it earlier.  I am now riding in conditions where I wouldn't normally, and it can still be as much as a work out as I want it to, the assistance cutting out at 15.8 mph on mine.  I am also commuting to work, something that normally takes 4 hours return, probably beyond a reasonable commute for most 56 year olds, especially those that are my shape.

To those who suggest that it is cheating I would ask them, do you use your car to go shopping? Surely that's cheating.  You could walk home carrying all those bags.

One interesting thing to note is that there appears to be very few cyclists on the road at this time of year, only two that I see regularly, and they ride everyday, seemingly no matter what.  I am glad to be one of them.  It's doing my health no end of good.  It might even save me from a heart condition.

Andy

leftpoole

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 10:19:08 am »
Hello,
I suffer Heart failure and Spinal stenosis.
A real small sized motorcycle would be my choice.
I watched a Charity 'cycle ride' last year. 30 or more were riding electrically assisted cycles! Riding a bicycle?
Shetland has windy terrain and so I can see your point of view, but please, do not look upon it as the norm. Those batteries have contents which kill. Contents which are from the ground. Not really environmentally friendly at all.
John