Author Topic: Adjustable bottle cage  (Read 5768 times)

lewis noble

Adjustable bottle cage
« on: November 23, 2016, 10:34:00 pm »
A few weeks ago, there was some discussion about a strapped adjustable bottle cage / carrier, able to hold a wide range of flasks etc. There was a link to the product, which I bookmarked . .  but lost the bookmark when I changed computer. Should have used pen and paper.

I was thinking of getting one for my wife's bike - coffee flasks rattle around in panniers.

Unable to find it in search - can anyone recall / find what the product was / where the thread was?

Thanks.

Lewis

lewis noble

Re: Adjustable bottle cage
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 10:35:08 pm »
 . . . I think it was in a topic about someone's new build . . .

bobs

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 10:36:49 pm »
Monkii bottle cage is adjustable.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 11:20:49 pm »
BikeBuddy will also fill the bill...
http://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/

Best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 12:19:36 am »
BikeBuddy! That was it!

Thanks. I'll also look at the other one.

Lewis

Big_Jimbo

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 12:07:41 pm »
I got an adjustable cage from Edinburgh cycles when they were still open in Sheffield. They should still be available online.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 04:00:00 pm »
I have a couple thermos bottles (double wall stainless) that are too small of a diameter to fit snugly in a conventional water bottle cage.  i cut some inner tube rubber strips and wrapped around the bottles several times to give me the necessary outside diameter to match the cage capacity, then wrapped plastic electrical tape around the rubber strips to hold the rubber wrapping in place.

I do not have any good photos, but I plan to do an exercise bike ride later today on my foldup bike, if I do that I will try to snap a few photos to post.

In other words, instead of adjusting the cage to fit the coffee container, I adjusted the coffee container to fit the cage.  And this way I can use the thermos in any of my bikes. 

Last week one day it was about 3 to 5 degrees C in the morning and about 20 degrees C in the afternoon.  I brought one thermos of hot coffee for morning, one thermos of iced coffee in afternoon.  It was perfect planning for a long bike ride that was interrupted half way through by a good lunch.

David Simpson

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 05:52:44 pm »
I brought one thermos of hot coffee for morning, one thermos of iced coffee in afternoon.

That reminds me of a joke that my Dad tells. (I would never admit to telling it.)

1st man: What is that thing in your lunch box?
2nd man: A Thermos.
1st man: What's a Thermos?
2nd man: It keeps hot things hot, and cold things cold.
1st man: What do you have in it now?
2nd man: My coffee and some ice cream.

So my point is that you could have just used one Thermos.  :)

- DaveS

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 06:33:41 pm »
 ;D !

Brilliant.

All the best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 10:41:50 pm »
I brought one thermos of hot coffee for morning, one thermos of iced coffee in afternoon.

That reminds me of a joke that my Dad tells. (I would never admit to telling it.)

1st man: What is that thing in your lunch box?
2nd man: A Thermos.
1st man: What's a Thermos?
2nd man: It keeps hot things hot, and cold things cold.
1st man: What do you have in it now?
2nd man: My coffee and some ice cream.

So my point is that you could have just used one Thermos.  :)

- DaveS

Yeah, ... ... ... while it is true that it all goes to the same place, sometimes different timing can be an improvement.

Two photos attached, my thermos with the rubber strips held on with electrical tape (yellow color) to make the thermos fit tighter in the water bottle cage.  It is not evident in the photo, but there also is a bit more rubber and tape where the top of the cage touches the bottle to avoid the metal on metal rattling noise on rough roads.

Today it was about 2 degrees C during my ride, thus warm coffee was a lot more welcome than cold water would have been.

David Simpson

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 11:15:59 pm »
I like that idea of the tape around the rubber strips. Very clean.

What is that quick release in the second photo? It appears to be on your stem. Part of the fold-up mechanism?

- DaveS

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 01:26:02 am »
I like that idea of the tape around the rubber strips. Very clean.

What is that quick release in the second photo? It appears to be on your stem. Part of the fold-up mechanism?

- DaveS

If you try the rubber strip method, placement of the strip is somewhat critical to get it at the best height for the bottle cage, too high or too low it does not work very well.  And when I wrapped the rubber strips, I put some tension on the rubber so it would grip the bottle tightly and not shift in position.

It was easier for me to put the bike in a bag if I folded my adjustable stem down.  I am sure that the manufacturer of the stem never would have approved of that.  The quick release mechanism was M5 threading and from a seatpost quick release.  I needed the same threading for the stem so I tried that quick release, it works.

leftpoole

Re: Adjustable bottle cage Monkii bottle cage
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 10:27:13 am »
Monkii bottle cage is used by me. For a flask of tea. It will take a fuel bottle for camping use also.
Comes in small and large sizes. Highly recommended by me.
John

bobs

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 12:46:31 pm »
The monkii can be used with a flask,  large bottle of water from supermarket to a small water bottle no problem.  No need for rubber strips etc.

Bob

jags

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 07:16:06 pm »
don't like tea or coffee out of a flask tastes horrible .
sure if you gonna have something hot on a ride take the stove  way better .
many a time i brewed up on a long spin class. ;)

anto