Author Topic: South England & Wales riding companions wanted  (Read 3870 times)

Grumbler

South England & Wales riding companions wanted
« on: May 17, 2007, 06:31:35 pm »
Visiting the UK for the first time I´ll be touring around the southwestern tip of England from mid july for about 7-9 days (flying into Bristol on july 11th and spending 2-3 days in Bridgwater) then around Wales for 14-15 days and finally around the southeastern part of England for another 7-9 days finishing into London (flying off Stansted on august 14th). Route already roughly sketched out (75-80kms/day) following secondary roads into national parks and other scenic areas but open to suggestions. Willing to camp when possible and b&b, hostels or similar when not. I´d be happy to share the joys of the full route or sectios of it with open minded fellow traveller/s. If it matters I´m a 40 years old male rider from Barcelona (Spain).
Being my first time in the UK ,even if not interested in sharing the ride, I would appreciate any useful info you might think of. General advise, events or places not to miss, accomodation suggestions, etc, would be most wellcome.
Thanks for reading my post and happy riding.

PhilipD

Re: South England & Wales riding companions wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 09:32:41 pm »
If you ever get the opportunity, visit cadair idris  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadair_Idris) it is truly one of the most beautiful places in the UK.

Harlech is also well worth a visit and in fact, if time is against you , the train ride (you can take your bike) from Dyfi Junction up the west coast is routinely cited as one of the most spectacular in the in the world (though I might be biased[:D]).  

Depending if you're going off road, the coastal path around pembrokeshire is awsome too.

I expect you've come across it already, but the welsh tourist board have produced a great guide to cycling in wales that covers everything from afternoon jaunts to week-long cycle/camping trips (http://www.cycling.visitwales.com/)

Pob lwc! (good luck!)

Philip

Grumbler

Re: South England & Wales riding companions wanted
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 10:40:22 am »
PhilipD, Thanks so much for the information. I browsed the cycling Wales site and found it very helpful. Got a very well put together paper version of it and must tell its a very good starting point to plan a tour around Wales.  I understand the Pemprokeshire area is really appealing but I think I´m already short of time to ride from Breacon Beacons National Park to Snowdonia and back. I´ll consider it an optional detour if time allows.
             Thanks again and happy riding