Author Topic: Rohloff Splined Sprockets (Ease of swapping)  (Read 19061 times)

lewis noble

Re: Rohloff Splined Sprockets (Ease of swapping)
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2017, 04:48:29 pm »
I don't run a Rohloff, Dan, but if I did, those photos and comments would be very helpful. Thanks from us all, hubbers and multicoggers alike.

Lewis

bobs

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2017, 04:55:13 pm »
You also have the extra weight of the extra 2 clips to consider also. ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2017, 06:39:46 pm »
You also have the extra weight of the extra 2 clips to consider also.
Agony! All that atop my usual 26.5l of water on desert crossings!
 :o ;) ;D
====
Thanks from us all, hubbers and multicoggers alike.
Thanks for the kind words, Lewis. :) Hopefully helpful to those contemplating the changeover from threaded to splined.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 06:41:38 pm by Danneaux »

rifraf

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 08:21:54 am »
G'day Dan,

My splined carrier and 18T cog arrived this morning via DHL nice and promptly from my German order to here in Aussie.

Locally there is one but shop it turns out who has the Rohloff tool, but unfortunately having had a prior disagreement, I'm going to have to open the wallet, wipe off the cobwebs once the bats have exited and pull the notes with blinking queens blinded by sunlight after so long etc. etc and order the Rohloff sprocket tool for the one off job of replacing my cog.

I wish I'd fore-saw the lack of sprocket tool and ordered it when I did the 18T and carrier.

I'm hopeful combined with my 34T chainring gear, the 18T will lessen the ache in my ageing knees.

When I'd rung said LBS, not initially realising I'd dealt with them before, there was talk of possible seal replacement needing doing as well as talk of them able to provide oils etc etc.

It was all the talk of their add ons which made me look a little harder at who I was potentially dealing with and determining that I'd rather fork out for the tool, even for a once only job (damn it).

I've only done an oil change a month ago and feel no rush to jump into another one having done little riding of late.

If I buy the removal tool myself and remove the cog, which there is u-tube videos showing how, should I expect oil to start leaking everywhere?

Is seal replacement likely to be needed for this job?  Do you know which ones and can point me in the direction of some part numbers?

I figured if it was the torque of the sprocket or new carrier that held the seal in place, draining the oil prior to attempting the job might help the state of my garage floor, but I've as yet found little mention online about needing seal replacement.

I did spot varies seals on the sjscycles site but am a little in the dark about which ones might succumb to my ministrations of original 16T removal.

I've had no seal leaks to date.

I thought from my initial Rohloff site perusal all I'd require was s bit of grease for the carrier threads and sprocket channels.

What was the methodology of your replacement and was there any oil issues?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:37:21 pm by rifraf »

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 08:50:42 am »
No seals etc required, crack old sprocket off with a chain whip while holding the driver still with the tool, quick wipe of the seal with a lint free cloth soaked in eco friendly degreaser, then spin splined carrier on with the sprocket already clipped on, before setting off stamp on the pedal to tighten the sprocket fully.

One side note with 99% of setups its far better to retrofit the slim rather than the standard carrier.

Dave

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 09:14:09 am »
Dave beat me to it, Rif; all agreed.  :)

All the beat,

Dan.

geocycle

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 09:21:56 am »
Have to say the splined sprocket is a breeze to flip over, so much easier than the threaded type.  It will be really easy to use both sides.  I have the standard carrier which seems ok, although the slim version would have been perfect had it been available last summer.

rifraf

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 10:52:17 am »
No seals etc required, crack old sprocket off with a chain whip while holding the driver still with the tool, quick wipe of the seal with a lint free cloth soaked in eco friendly degreaser, then spin splined carrier on with the sprocket already clipped on, before setting off stamp on the pedal to tighten the sprocket fully.

One side note with 99% of setups its far better to retrofit the slim rather than the standard carrier.

Dave

The likelihood of the current seals remaining fine is good news indeed Dave - thank you.

This makes me feel more confident about tackling the job myself although its a shame about having to buy the tool for a once off.
Too, the fortnights wait it takes to receive anything hereabouts.

Short of hearing its unlikely to work on my setup, its a little late in the day for me to be considering the slimmer carrier, having already had the standard one arrive this morning.

An already expensive postage, coupled with added insurance to return it to Germany in hope of a swap would also add 2 to three weeks to sorting this out in that the company would want one to arrive before sending the other creating a wait in the order of a month to five or even 6 weeks depending how things went.

Granted the post to Germany at this time of year would be unlikely to be held up due to weather but still..... a month is a month longer than I wanted to be rolling with lowered gearing.

Also what exactly does the slimmer carrier do to the chainline?

I'd sort of figured moving my Surly Ogre's front Thorn reversible front chainring on Thorn cranks, from the middle position to the outer would eat up most of the chainline difference?

I don't have a link currently for the Thorn cranks but the outer ring position are the same "spider"(?) 110 bcd as they currently enjoy though in the inner middle position.

Whoops I do: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cranks/140-thorn-11074-pcd-triple-solo-alloy-crankset-silver/?geoc=AU

What might some of the issues your aware of be?      I'm open minded enough to make an order I guess as I can take a loss and attempt to sell locally the original one.
Its the time factor that gives me pause as I was hoping to get away for a trip on my bike next week due to have a few weeks up my sleeve.

geocycle

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2017, 12:11:19 pm »
rifraf, pm me with your address and I will loan you my rohloff sprocket tool.

rifraf

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 01:02:33 pm »
rifraf, pm me with your address and I will loan you my rohloff sprocket tool.

Very kind offer Geocycle.

Apologies for whingeing and expressing my frustrations of the day.

Had you been local I'd have wandered around with an offering of a couple of 6 packs of your favourite poison or similar and wheel in hand.

No I'll not take the Michael and take advantage of your generous offer leaving your tool at the mercy of  the security of the postal services vagaries, despite it being ever so tempting.

Rather I'll shut up and bite the bullet and make an order tonight to who ever I can judge to have the swiftest shipping with a tracking number.

I'm sure I'll be able to get some money back offering to sell it via my local forum or eBay or something when the jobs complete.

I really appreciate your offer and trust - thank you.

I've had a negative experience with the only close shop to sport a tool which has seen me vow never to return or I'd have had the job done today.

I'd foolishly not anticipated how few Rohloffs were around and thus LBS workshops catering to them.

Hopefully Dave might come back and tell me more about the slim carrier to help me decide on further emptying the purse on one or anything else I might not have thought of.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:39:43 pm by rifraf »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2017, 01:55:55 pm »
What about contacting Rohloff Australia?

PureSports Pty Ltd
6 Cheshire Grove
ELANORA Qld 4221
Mobile: +61 (0)452-339289
Tel.: +61 (0)7-55339289
www.rohloff-au.com

Also this bike shop in Melbourne ...

https://stkildacycles.com.au/parts-accessories/rohloff-inc-hubs-spare-parts.html

Perhaps you could borrow a Rohloff sprocket tool and exchange for the slim carrier if you need/want to?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:00:24 pm by StuntPilot »

lestat_12345

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2017, 03:27:21 pm »
I've got the slim sprocket carrier installed on my Nomad. I just took off the old sprocket, greased the carrier, and screwed it in. Been using it now for around two weeks without issue. My Rohloff is just a couple of months old and even then the old sprocket was a nightmare to remove. I did consider the non-slim carrier but didn't like the idea of my chain being closer to the seat stay due to the increased chain line. Probably would not have been an issue but I also didn't want to buy a different bottom bracket either to accommodate the new chain line.

John Saxby

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2017, 05:10:14 pm »
I'll bite the bullet and make an order tonight to who ever I can judge to have the swiftest shipping with a tracking number

Rif, I can send you my sprocket tool from The Great White North, and you can return it to my son in SE Queensland (Gold Coast), if that's easier.  Wd take about 2 weeks from Canada to wherever you are in Oz.

(Jaysus, Mary an' Joseph, it's rainin' sprocket tools!  Who'd'a thunk it?)

Cheers,  John

rifraf

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2017, 06:02:19 pm »
Thanks for all the kind offers folks.

Its a matter of timing that I've failed to account for.

I've some time up my sleeve for a few weeks tour that would be more productively spent than sitting by my front window awaiting an  order.

I'm going to stick with my plan to do a tour whilst I've the few weeks off.

I'll make do with my current original 16T  threaded cog for the trip.

I thought I'd planned it well enough to have upgraded to a lower gear inch by ordering the carrier and 18T splined cog (sprocket).

I hadn't allowed for a dearth of Rohloff removal tools locally.

If I put leaving off for any longer winter will be too well set in with its accompanying rains to go with the cold.

I'm a fair weather rider.

I'll make do and order the tool upon my return rather than putting off leaving any later in the season.

Thank you all, I do appreciate the suggestions and offers of loans.   I humbly decline.

For those wondering about those Queensland and Victoria outlets mentioned, for my location, purchase and shipping from the EU or UK can be generally faster and more cost effective in this situation.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 06:05:39 pm by rifraf »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2017, 06:17:33 pm »
Hi Rif!

Could you get the gearing you need in the short term (for your upcoming tour) simply by swapping to a smaller chainring and shortening the chain?

No need to mess with the sprocket, and a quicker path to the lower gearing you desire. All could be made right in the fullness of time after your return.

All the best,

Dan.