Author Topic: Small pliers for repair kit  (Read 2331 times)

E-wan

Small pliers for repair kit
« on: November 04, 2016, 05:43:08 pm »
can anyone recommend a small light pair of needle nose plires to carry in the repair kit

thanks

Ewan

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Small pliers for repair kit
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 05:56:53 pm »
Yes: 4in Needle-nose locking 4LN Irwin Vise-Grips.
https://www.amazon.com/VISE-GRIP-Original-Locking-Pliers-1602L3/dp/B0000BYD9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478282013&sr=8-1&keywords=vise+grip+needle+nose+pliers
They are pretty versatile and not to heavy or large. I have used mine to secure a friend's lower-rear rack strut to the dropout eyelets when his bolts sheared. I just used a spare ball bearing from my kit to put between the rack and dropout eyelet before clamping to prevent shifting under load. It held securely the rest of the tour. They also have a hard-wire cutter. In a pinch it can cut a Bowden cable, but leaves the ends squashed and ragged, unlike my small pair of v-jaw SunTour cable cutters, small enough and light enough to take on tour.

I've found these small needlenose Vise-Grips to be really handy for many things while on-tour. They nicely extract goat-head thorns, glass, and steel belted tire strands from tire treads, remove splinters, serve as handy hot-pot grippers, are nice for repacking the ball bearing in user-serviceable hubs, clamp onto myriad other things...all-'round handy.

Best,

Dan.

Dave B

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 09:19:25 pm »
Thanks, they look useful. I will get a pair.

E-wan

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 09:19:23 pm »
 thanks got two pairs one for the workbench and one for the pannier

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles