Author Topic: Which Raven Model? (& Max Load Chart)  (Read 102673 times)

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Which Raven Model?
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2009, 05:23:38 pm »
OP updated!
Any comments?

Lukanga:  I am afraid I don't know the weight of the Nomad.  I can weigh my wife's Tour if you want - but to be frank it wont be a very useful figure - all the extra kit (mudguards / racks / panniers / lights) can make a lot of difference to the actual weight.  I once had a friend pick up my racing bike and exclamation that it wasn't much lighter than his his, I gently pointed out that he had just pick up my bike + 3 full water bottles! ;-)  I am no longer a weight weenie!       

brummie

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2009, 06:47:01 pm »
This ratings & tables business for the Ravens is in danger of turning into Mitchell & Webbs 'Numberwang' Wouldn't you agree?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/thatmitchellandwebbsite/numberwang/game.shtml

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2009, 11:47:52 am »
brummie,

I hope not - but I can see where you are coming from.  I try to set the table to highlight the differences between the different models. (I am definitely not tiring to say one model better than another - only different.)

The scores are based on what I know of the geometry of the bikes and what other users of the bikes have reported on forum.  I only have access to a RT and RST, therefore I feel more confident with the scores I have given to these than the scores of the Nomad and the Sterling.  I am always open to what others have to say BUT there is a tenancy to be bias to ones own bike hence the cap on points per a bike (16).

The biggest issue as I see it is that the final setup can make such a BIG difference.  Tyre size and shocks make a massive difference to the way a bike will feel.  Note that although SJSC now only recommend the Sterling with shocks many, my self included, have and do run shocks on the RT, Nomad and even the RST.   

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:27:48 pm by stutho »

Lukanga

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2009, 03:08:50 pm »
Thanks for the update! I am still a bit confused about the weight thing. The only thing Robin Thorn will say about weight is that he guesses, the Nomad would be about a kilo heavier than the Raven Tour.

For me, weight is one of the key variables for a bicycle (but I am willing to compromise on it, if everything else fits). And virtually every bicycle producer (other than Thorn) publishes a weight in the specs, mentioning what that weight includes (mostly no pedals) and on what frame size this is based.

I'd have to buy the Thorn without ever having ridden on one and I would hate to receive the parcel and think straight away: far too heavy... So, please, if anyone has a current model Raven Tour or Nomad, please put it on the scales (or weigh yourself once with bike on shoulders, then without) and tell us, what it weighs. Knowing the frame size, a picture or specs would of course help with the interpretation, but just weighing would already be of great help.

(Or if Thorn would be willing to share with us the weight of the standard versions without any upgrades, that would be fantastic! - yes, I know about the minor differences in weight between Andra and Grizzly wheels and between different types of tires.)

Please!
Thanks!
Lukanga

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2009, 03:20:00 pm »
I will get the scales out tonight and weigh the wife's Raven Tour for you

lewis noble

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2009, 03:39:56 pm »
I should steer clear of the scales, stutho - what with the icy weather, and Christmas, I've had to sabotage our scales at home . . .

Lewis - Sheffield

geocycle

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2009, 04:55:41 pm »
I had access to a digital balance recently and weighed my raven tour at 15.8kg.  That's with schmidt dynamo hub and lights, additional battery light, rohloff of course, brooks saddle, tubus rack, carbide rims, schwalbe marathon tyres, single sided SPD pedals. All chosen to be robust and bombproof for my kind of touring and commuting.

brummie

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2009, 07:18:58 pm »
Hi Stutho,

I was only adding a 'bit' of humour to the debate ! I think it is easy to over complicate the choice of Raven ( I own a RST & Catalyst BTW) - I'd mostly base my decision on choosing a Raven by:

(i) What load carrying ability I needed.
(ii) What maximum tyre size needed.

Lukanga:

By nature cyclists are always obsessed with bike weight - ( I deliberately don't weigh mine anymore!) - The low gears on the Rohloff will get me up any hill relatively easily & the Thorns geometry & comfort via the 26" wheels provide a great ride/ handling - the weight is not really an issue.

geocycle

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2009, 07:36:24 pm »
By nature cyclists are always obsessed with bike weight - ( I deliberately don't weigh mine anymore!) - The low gears on the Rohloff will get me up any hill relatively easily & the Thorns geometry & comfort via the 26" wheels provide a great ride/ handling - the weight is not really an issue.

I fully agree. Unless you want to ride quickly and unloaded in a situation where you have to overcome inertia eg when frequently starting off or climbing.  As soon as you add luggage then weight saving on the bike quickly falls in percentage terms.  Comfort and being fit for purpose are much more important on a tourer.   I could probably shave a kilo off mine if I wanted but I doubt I'd notice much ride difference.  If you really want some figures then the Cycling plus reviews usually give 'weight as tested'. 

pastafarian

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2009, 07:42:59 pm »
The Bikeradar review says their Nomad was 37 lbs/17 kg with expedition rack and lowrider, bottle cages and marathon xr tyres

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/raven-nomad-ss-07-21250

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2009, 01:35:45 pm »
Lukanga,
I have started a new thread about the Ravens weight here

Cake

« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2009, 05:12:38 pm »
Stutho, have you posted any pictures of your 12.7Kg RST, or have i have not noticed them before?

I for one would like to see it, if its not being too cheeky!! 

Cheers

Gary.

Lukanga

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2009, 11:11:43 am »
Thank you all for your efforts! And for the new thread... It is a great help to me.

This might be off-topic since the thread is about choosing among Raven models. But this is about Raven peers, so I might just as well type it out. There are three bikes on my short-list:

Tomorrow, I will testride this: http://www.idworx-bikes.de/de/bikes/off-rohler/ (sorry, site is only available in German and Dutch). Aluminium (compromise), expensive (compromise), but otherwise a bike designed by someone with a vision and obsessed with details. (Idworx founder Gerrit Gaastra is the son of the couple that set up Koga Myata and is known as an absolute perfectionist.)

Second on the list is the Raven Tour (though I keep flipping through the Nomad folder, a beautiful bike and the S&S couplings are attractive, even though I have no idea, what I would use them for). After having the weight thing sorted out, my main concern is size. The frames are the smallest among the three bikes and I am 1,94m tall and have a leg length of 94cm without shoes. Chainstay is less of an issue, since I have tiny feet for my length.

This is the third bike: http://www.generator-radsport.de/cms/upload/bilder/onlineshop/galerie_raeder/stadtrad/Komet_14900gramm.jpg. A larger frame is about to be added to their portfolio. One of these bikes has been used on this combined bicycle-canoe trip along the arctic circle: http://www.terracirca.de/. Good, honest steel bike appealing to nostalgic spirits...

Cheerio,
Lukanga

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2009, 05:28:30 pm »
Stutho, have you posted any pictures of your 12.7Kg RST, or have i have not noticed them before?

I for one would like to see it, if its not being too cheeky!! 

Me BAD - That should of read 13.7kg  - I might just get it down to 12.7 without the rack, mudguards, bk lights & attached mud!

Sorry about that

Stuart

geocycle

Re: Which Raven Model? (& Max Load Chart)
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2010, 09:21:52 am »
I was browsing the latest Thorn summary brochure and the load for the raven tour is now given as 28kg, but it is then contradicted by the description of the bikes on the Americas tour carrying 40kg.  Is this a mistake or are thorn making the tour less bomb proof these days (or trying to distinguish the Tour and the Nomad)?

http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/ThornModelOverviewLoRes.pdf