Author Topic: best barbag.  (Read 20265 times)

jags

Re: best barbag.
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 12:04:22 pm »
Cheers Lads great help  the klick fix seems the way to go thanks for the links.
meant to say the new sti Tiagra is wired up the same as 105 ultegra  no cables showing  8)

anto.http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-tiagra-4703-3x10-speed-sti-shifter-set/rp-prod137778
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:20:10 pm by jags »

rualexander

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 03:25:43 pm »
Instead of the backplate method above, you might also be able to use the Klickfix metal frame arms depending on the size of the bag.
Stitch a couple of sleeves on the sides of the bags to take the frame and 'bob's your uncle'. Bag size would be fairly critical though.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/rixen-kaul-alloy-frame-for-daypack-bag/

If you go with the backplate method, some 'corex'  board makes a good stiffener between the inner and outer fittings.

jags

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 03:47:41 pm »
the inside  of that bag is  well padded obviously for keeping  an expensive camera safe .
i'd say the plate would would fine,if ever i get round to actually buying it. :o

cheers lads

anto.

John Saxby

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 03:57:56 pm »
Jags, as a low-cost option for the Audax, you might consider the Axiom "Adirondack" h'bar bag.  It just straps on. Less capacity than the Ortlieb or the comparable Arkel, but no frame either, hence light weight.  In these parts, it costs about Cdn$32.  I use one on my Eclipse, and it's ok for snacks, camera, a rolled-up rain jacket, keys, wallet, cleat covers in the outside pocket, etc., etc. (tho' probably not all of these at once!)

Here's the link:  http://shop.bushtukah.com/product/axiom-adirondack-4.5-handlebar-bag-156180-1.htm#.WD2iApLtYhw

That may be a useful reference point.

I seem to recall that we had a conversation about this item a while back -- did you ever try one? Maybe your son in the States could send you a prezzie?

Cheers,  John

jags

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2016, 05:45:55 pm »
Yes John i have that bag i use it all the time as a shoulder bag when im out walking   does the job grand.
but it's not waterproof and it's a  tad long for a barbag.
mind u i haven't tried it yet on the Thorn  but i will son as i get the frame built up.
thanks John.

cheers
anto.

John Saxby

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2016, 10:48:20 pm »
You might consider one of these, Anto, if/if you can get it as a prezzie:

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/frame-bags/TangleFrameBag

These would give you storage capacity located within the main triangle, accessible but well away from bars, so there shd be no problem with the handling.

You could use the Tangle bag instead of a h'bar bag -- I shd think that the Medium is plenty big enough.

These things are waterproof as well.

Revelate has jacked up their prices in the past couple of years -- I bought a Large 2 years ago for $70, and the Med now costs USD 90!  Mind you, the Ortlieb roll-closure bar bag is USD 130.

All things considered, I'd stay with the inexpensive Axiom item until you can afford (or a close relative can afford!) something like the Tangle.  You can spray the Axiom with silicone to make it water-resistant, or stuff the things you're carrying into plastic bags.

Cheers,  John

jags

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2016, 11:44:04 pm »
i had a look at those kinda bags before but would it not obstruct  your peddling as in your knees hitting the  bag ,i have a high cadence  and my knees are usually close to top tube .
when i had the sherpa i used the carradice rack bag  for day rides the barley for longer day rides nd i also have the longflap amazing the amount of gear i can get into that bag  ;).
my plan for the audax is ortlieb rear panniers tent on top of rack and barbag .seriously want to keep things as light as possible .
my sleeping gear is great light and packs small cooking well i can't cook (burn water)  ::)
but i can heat up canned soup or beans do me grand ,i bought a lightweight stove from our man Dan works great ,tent tho is heavy great tent though loads room.
yeah i want to keep things as simple as i can makes sense at the end of a long ride me thinks.
so far i have chainset /brake calipers.

i ordered front and rear mechs today and cables still need the sti leavers  pedals  mudguards bars and stem ,getting there slowly .
anyway thanks John for thinking of me much appreciated.

Anto.

John Saxby

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 03:28:44 am »
would it not obstruct  your peddling as in your knees hitting the  bag

I haven't found that to be a problem, Anto.  I have a large Tangle bag on my Raven, and my knees rarely if ever touch it.  (It carries all my rainwear, plus my click-stand.)  I haven't measured the width when it's stuffed full, but I'd guess maybe 3" max.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 08:49:18 am »
I have an Ortlieb bar bag, not sure of the size but use Klikfix mounting brackets which are Ortlieb compatible and don't require a new cable if you want to remove and replace the mounting bracket. I have Klikfix brackets on the tandem and the Mercury and switch the bag as required. I found the Klikfix easier to mount and remove the bag than the Ortlieb system.

Mike

geocycle

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 09:18:02 am »
I have an Ortlieb bar bag, not sure of the size but use Klikfix mounting brackets which are Ortlieb compatible and don't require a new cable if you want to remove and replace the mounting bracket. I have Klikfix brackets on the tandem and the Mercury and switch the bag as required. I found the Klikfix easier to mount and remove the bag than the Ortlieb system.

Mike

Hi Mike, can you provide a link to the Klikfix bracket please.  I also find the ortlieb ones cannot easily be taken on and off without replacing the cable.  I only use a barbag (Ortlieb IV)when doing multiday tours so for the rest of the time I just have to look at the ugly bracket.

jags

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 09:27:29 am »
yes the bracket system with ortlieb are terrible klickfix seems the way to go.
what i don't like about Ortlieb there to square great bags for sure but no style  imho and they block the view of the wheel ,i'm to picky i guess but a well dressed bike makes a fella feel good and even go faster  8)

cheers lads

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 05:02:44 pm »
A pleasantly contrarian view:

I sure do prefer the attachment and ease of the KlickFix bracket over the Ortlieb, but...

I've found while the KlickFix does a great job in preventing barbag sag, it has not do so well at preventing upward bounce on really rough logging roads in my use. The Ortlieb seems to better constrain upward bounce, though each of my Ortliebs has also required resetting after some use. Once reset, they seem to hold just fine. I think the same heavy impacts that cause upward bounce also removes any slack in the cable.

I've also found the Ortlieb Ultimate 6 mounts allow the bags to attach in the same basic way as the KlickFix, rather than sliding down/on like the Ultimate 5 series. If you need the bounce resistance of an Ortlieb with the mounting ease of a KlickFix, an Ultimate 6 mount  incorporates both.

That said, I sure wish the Ortliebs were removable/swappable without need for cable replacement in most cases and like jags, I wish they had more style!

Best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 08:44:58 pm »
I've never used a bar bag, but on my tour in France earlier this year, I fitted a small (2 litre) Carradice Zipped Roll Bag onto the straight bars - needed longer straps.  This fitted very well, and did not interfere with cable runs, light fittings or light spread at all.

The downside of course is that it takes longer to fit and remove, or to open, but in reality it is still a matter of seconds once you get used to it.  That didn't bother me - it was reassuring being able to leave it on the bike and knowing it would be more difficult to get off or steal from.  I kept my tool kit and other little used stuff in it, and was quite happy with it.

Would I use it again? Well, yes, because I have it and have never been that keen on most of the bar bags I have seen.

Lewis

John Saxby

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2016, 10:53:53 pm »
If the issue is (in part) mounting systems, then I'd suggest looking at Arkel, here:

https://www.arkel-od.com/en/bike-handlebar-bag.html

Arkel have changed the design of their bags in the past couple of years, to (i) make the main compartment waterproof; and (ii) add an arched stiffener for the lid.  Not cheap at CAD160 (USD120) for the small bag, but they're good value.

The mounting system is light and rigid, and the bags are easy to remove as well. Only "but" is that getting the original mounting just right requires some deliberate adjustment and levelling. 

As for the quality:  When I made my Amsterdam-to-Vienna ride a few years ago, I had to take my bike to a large bike shop in Mainz, Germany, to sort out a derailleur adjustment. When I removed my bar bag, the Service Manager said, "Ooooh, I like those mounts. We don't have anything like that here."  How often do you hear Germans praise engineering by someone else?

jags

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 10:56:24 am »
nice but way to expensive for my pocket .all these bags including panniers have one big problem there to bulky,and a simple solution would be to add compression straps ,once you get the bags mounted just tighten the straps as u would a drybag  to reduce the bulk simple enough idea.
John i like to see the front wheel when im cycling  it's a roadie thing , riding at high speed and sitting 1 inch behind the guy in front , you wont do that if you have a big barbag blocking your view  ;D ;D.

i know touring is a different   set up altogether  but old habits die hard.

anto