Author Topic: best barbag.  (Read 20257 times)

jags

best barbag.
« on: November 03, 2016, 11:25:50 pm »
What bar bag are you Thorn Audax  owners using ,

cheers
Jags or anto

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: best barbag.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 12:43:02 am »
I don't own an Audax, but for all my bikes including some randonneur bikes that are very similar to the Audax, I prefer my Ortlieb Ultimate V handlebar bag in size Large with 8.5l capacity and two small zippered mesh side pockets. The Large weighs about an aspirin tablet more than the Medium but holds a lot more, nice for light but bulky things like wind jackets and such.

I've found its greatest virtue is reliable waterproofness. It has withstood more rainstorms than I can count, all without a leak.

I prefer the older Ultimate V because it uses very secure snaps to close the lid and secure the map case instead of magnets, which are located in a way that would be problematic for my portable hard drive and credit cards carried inside. Otherwise, the newer Ultimate VI is really nice also.

On my bikes with threadless steerers, I place the bag mount low on a 55mm Thorn Accessory T-bar instead of directly to the handlebars. This puts the weight a smidge lower for better handling.

Best,

Dan.

bobs

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 08:04:52 am »
Same here.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 08:38:55 am »
Yep - the Ortlieb bar bag is a classic. I have the Ultimate VI Large 8.5l with the magnets, which I find work very well. I keep bank cards etc in the zipped pocket in the front of the bag and have not had any issue with the magnets. The lock too in invaluable for peace of mind on quick stops.

Having just returned from 3 and a half months of touring, the Ortlieb Ultimate VI has had everything thrown at it. Intense sun, torrential rain, sand and dust - not one problem. The bag (Black) showns no sign of any colour change due to UV exposure, though the map case that sat exposed throughout the trip shows a little 'greying' but still very transparrent.

I find it works well too with the Thorn 105mm Accessory T-Bar.

jags

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 09:45:05 am »
cheers lads goes on the wish list.

jags

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 09:30:27 pm »
i found a lovely camera bag in the attic today  must be my son's bag sure he will never use it so i might as well,
problem is how do i attach it to the bars .it only has a shoulder strap.
great looking bag.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 10:34:54 pm »
i found a lovely camera bag in the attic today...problem is how do i attach it to the bars
Anto,

I'm a bit short on time right now ("work") so I can't give specifics, but as I recall, R&K KlickFix has an adapter that bolts to a basket. It fits a handlebar mount, which they also sell. Bolting the basket to the camera bag might allow you to mount it...might need a larger stiffener inside to prevent sagging.

Here's the link to KlickFix's site: http://www.klickfix.de/

It's on there somewhere, I know.

Best,

Dan.

bobs

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 10:58:10 pm »
Not got an Audax but got an Ortlieb which I recon is
great.

Bob

jags

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 11:54:46 pm »
Thanks Dan i will try and send u photos of the bag.
it's small enough to look  8) plenty room enough for my junk .
 don't fancy that  basket i'm to cool a guy to carry a basket like  think Clint Eastwood except 3 foot shorter and 5 stone heaver but sure a fella can dream. :'(

bobs i had the ortlieb great bag for sure but Anto is broke so gotta make do with what i can get.

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 12:34:09 am »
Apologies, Anto...In my haste, I wasn't clear in my writing.

What I meant to say is KlickFix offer a bracket intended to fasten a basket to a handlebar mount. Sometimes (depending on the application) you can take this bracket and bolt it to other kinds of bags (not baskets) to turn those bags into handlebar bags. If you do this, then you might need a stiffener inside the bag to make it work. Old political campaign signs (Coroplast) work great for this.

I'm deep in editing a journal article at the moment with a tight deadline and it has problems :o so I will get back to you later. I have your email with photos; thanks!  :)

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 01:18:17 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 07:19:00 am »
Okay, Anto...

This is not quite what I have fixed in my mind, but close:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/altura-klickfix-back-plate-for-arran-skye-orkney-hbar-bags-with-red-qr-button/?geoc=US

The one I remembered was a back plate and inner stiffener that sandwiched in either side of a bag so it could be made into a handlebar bag by attaching to either a KlickFix or Ortlieb handlebar mount.

Topeak has a similar one that is complete for the intended purpose:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/topeak-fixer-3e-with-basket-adapter/?geoc=US

Keep in mind, you would need to rig some kind of internal structure to keep the bag from sagging, because the bag won't have the same rigidity as a metal or wicker basket.

Anyway, just a thought for you to possibly use Frank's camera bag (below) if he doesn't find out first.  ;)

You might be as well off getting something cheap from eBay. There's some attractive options out there for the money, including a waterproof one for only    
£27.50 + shipping from our own SJS Cycles:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVENIR-100-WATERPROOF-BAR-BAG-HANDLEBAR-BAG-QUICK-RELEASE-37378-/311333653339?hash=item487cee8b5b:g:mKcAAOSwqu9VI6dk

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 07:27:40 am »
A further thought, Anto...

If you plan to use brifters to shift, mind the gear cables don't foul the handlebar bag. You may need to use some v-brake cable noodles at the levers' cable exit to shoo the cables away from the handlebar bag, depending on clearance.

The result would look like this:
http://www.bikeforums.net/4706118-post4.html
A similar setup here:
http://www.bicyclesports.us/id256.htm

Best,

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 08:28:39 am »
This is what Dan was referring to above http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/rixen-and-kaul-klickfix-handlebar-adapter-spare-fixing-plate.html
I used one to convert my Carradice Barley to Klickfix fitting.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 09:43:15 am »
*That's* the one! ;D

Thanks, Rual; well done!

I think Anto has a Barley....

All the best,

Dan.

leftpoole

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 10:08:55 am »
Hello,
I personally do not recommend a bar bag on the Audax due to 'wobble'.
Regards,
John