Author Topic: best barbag.  (Read 20364 times)

John Saxby

Re: best barbag.
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 04:18:35 pm »
Skip the bar bag altogether, then, and go the Revelate/Tangle route, I'd say. No vision hassles, no mounting hassles, no possible wobble hassles, even the $$/££ problem is less than an Ortlieb or Arkel h'bar bag.

jags

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2016, 04:30:02 pm »
as long as my knees wouldn't hit that bag  might be the way to go  cheers John.

anto.

bobs

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2016, 07:04:35 pm »
You can get an Ortlieb bar bag here for less than a Revelate tangle .

Bob

jags

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2016, 07:21:50 pm »
i had a lovely ortlieb bag one time a so called buddy asked if he could borrow it. that was about 8 years  ::) when i bought the sherpa  i bought another one  ultimate 6 i think it was.
the ould saying a friend in need it a pest.
anto stooled again.

anto.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2016, 09:54:48 pm »
I have an Ortlieb bar bag, not sure of the size but use Klikfix mounting brackets which are Ortlieb compatible and don't require a new cable if you want to remove and replace the mounting bracket. I have Klikfix brackets on the tandem and the Mercury and switch the bag as required. I found the Klikfix easier to mount and remove the bag than the Ortlieb system.

Mike

Hi Mike, can you provide a link to the Klikfix bracket please.  I also find the ortlieb ones cannot easily be taken on and off without replacing the cable.  I only use a barbag (Ortlieb IV)when doing multiday tours so for the rest of the time I just have to look at the ugly bracket.

http://www.klickfix.com/index.php?lang=en

Cheers

Mike

flocsy

best barbag
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2023, 01:51:50 am »
I see that most people recommend the Ortlieb Ultimate Six. Does anyone have experience with the Ortlieb Handlebar-Pack Plus or QR?
https://www.ortlieb.com/en_us/handlebar-pack-plus+F3253

PH

Re: best barbag
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2023, 02:36:46 am »
I see that most people recommend the Ortlieb Ultimate Six. Does anyone have experience with the Ortlieb Handlebar-Pack Plus or QR?
https://www.ortlieb.com/en_us/handlebar-pack-plus+F3253
All the Ortlieb stuff I've seen is good, it's a matter of finding what meets your needs.  That one wouldn't suit me, I like to be able to open and close one handed while riding and also like the clear pocket on top of my current Ultimate 6 (5L)

flocsy

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2023, 03:46:10 am »
I also do like the easy accessibility of it, but am I right that the Ultimate 6 has a hard case? How small can it be shrinked/packed when it's empty? I'd like to be able to squeeze it as flat as possible to be able to put it into one of the panniers while flying so I can take it on-board.

PH

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2023, 10:02:54 am »
I also do like the easy accessibility of it, but am I right that the Ultimate 6 has a hard case? How small can it be shrinked/packed when it's empty? I'd like to be able to squeeze it as flat as possible to be able to put it into one of the panniers while flying so I can take it on-board.
Mine is the Plus version, which is a lighter more flexible material than the Classic. it's the 5L size:
It's rigidity, height wise, is provided by a plastic insert.  Pop this out, fold the sides in, put it back in the bag and the height reduces from 15cm to 8cm, measurements approx.

P1110528 by Paul, on Flickr

P1110529 by Paul, on Flickr

P1110530 by Paul, on Flickr

Whatever the size, it isn't wasted space, as long as it's small enough to put where you want it, you can still pack something inside before packing it away.  As said in your lights thread, I remove the bar bag when I want to use a light on the handlebar, I do the above, leave a couple of bits in it and it goes on top of the saddlebag.

flocsy

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2023, 11:59:19 am »
That looks OK. My problem is not how much space it occupies on my bike when not used, but that I want to minimize the cost of the flight. This means that I would check the bike in, and have a big trolley-bag (55x40x23 cm) and a small carry-on bag (40x30x20 cm) (probably the 2 back panniers, one full with the roll-down part not really rolled down, this would increase it's height from 42 to some, probably reaching the 55cm limit, the other closed (42x32x17) fit the small carry-on requirements) and the handlebar bag is supposed to fit inside one of the panniers, but if it was hard case, then it wouldn't fit IMHO. Now that I see it can be made as small as the closing lid it's definitely small enough.