Author Topic: tigr mini lock  (Read 4312 times)

revelo

tigr mini lock
« on: October 17, 2016, 05:22:54 am »
https://tigrlock.com/mini/

I used this lock on two long tours. I really don't need any lock, since mostly I stick to small towns where bicycle theft is uncommon, but I feel better with one given the importance of my bicycle to me when touring. Cable locks are worthless and I refuse to use them on principle, even if the average opportunistic thief in these small towns is unlikely to be carrying a pair of cable cutters. That leaves U-Locks, which are 900 grams or more, and ring locks, at about 400 grams.

Problem with ring locks is I don't really trust the locking mechanism. I don't want to lock the bicycle only to discover I can't unlock it and then have to find someone with bolt cutters or a diagonal saw to bail me out. TiGr lock is about 500 grams, including the holding bracket and keys, so not much more than a ring lock, but the locking mechanism is much higher quality than the ring lock I had before (a YWS ring lock from Velo Orange), hence jamming much less likely. I normally use this TiGr lock in the same way as a ring lock, to simply immobilize the rear wheel, since finding a post to attach the bicycle to is not always easy. The lock is designed to be stored with the lock cylinder in place in the holding bracket, but I store the lock cylinder in my saddle bag to keep it clean, given the dusty conditions I ride in. The lock mechanism is doesn't suffer much from dirt. I say this based on experienced during my first tour using the lock, when I carried the cylinder in place and filled it with crud. It took a few minutes to crush the crud to dust by manipulating the lock, then shake the dust out, but after that and ever since, the lock has worked fine.

Highly recommended.

John Saxby

Re: tigr mini lock
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 05:56:12 pm »
Thanks for this useful info & comment, Frank. 

I managed to lose my Abus folding lock on the train going west this past June--my fault, not VIA's.  I don't use a lock much while touring, for the reasons you describe, but I find it useful to have one for "just in case" situations.

The TiGr mini looks like it will suit my requirements, and it's a bit lighter than the Abus I lost.

I've seen some positive reviews on crazyguy for the Ortre BI5 U-lock, shown here:
http://www.ortre.com/store/p3/BI5_U_Lock_-_Original.html

The two locks are of comparable weight, but the BI5 has smaller internal dimensions than the TiGr mini, although there is a 2" longer (hence heavier) version as well.

Dave B

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 07:02:37 pm »
Check out the Abus Futura,  this a lightweight version of their heavyweight  Granite lock.

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 10:05:36 pm »
Thanks, Dave.  I used/lost the Bordo folding light, quite compact & not a bad weight at 650 gms, though heavier by 150 gms than the TiGr mini. The TiGr is a bit more costly as light-with-quality almost always is.

martinf

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 08:56:27 am »
Check out the Abus Futura,  this a lightweight version of their heavyweight  Granite lock.

I've got an Abus Granit Futura 64 U-lock (2010 version). It is still quite heavy at about 900g, and I find it more awkward than my old chain and padlock. So I tend not to use the Abus all that often, and generally only with my most expensive bikes (Raven Tour with Rohloff and perhaps now the  RST). The Abus will probably get used on my next long tour, last time I had used an old mountain bike, so I was less bothered about the bike getting stolen.

I have been using the chain (wrapped inside an old inner tube) for over 30 years, it looks reasonably tough, but I once sawed through a link in less than 5 minutes with an ordinary hacksaw, can't remember why. Maybe to replace a seized padlock as the one I have now is more recent than the chain. 

I rarely leave my bikes locked up outside for long periods. When I know I will do this I generally use my old 650B bike, which I believe is less attractive to thieves (5 speed hub gears from the 1980's), though it does have a SON dynohub. I have a frame lock on this, which is very convenient for short stops. When I do the supermarket run with this bike, I also use my old chain lock to attach the front wheel and frame to a post or bike stand, plus a very old and very light cable lock to lock the pannier bags to the rear rack. So 3 low to moderate security locks instead of 1 high security lock.

I like frame locks, and have them on the two visitor bikes as well as on my old 650B bike. I'm toying with the idea of getting one for my Raven Tour, to be used for very short stops, like buying bread. I have the Abus Ampero frame locks, in the non-captive key version.

Caveat - I live in a small town in Brittany, which is a low theft risk area.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 03:48:17 pm »
Touring, I usually use a 6 foot (bit under 2 m) coiled cable with a separate padlock.  I the photo, you can see where I usually store it when not in use hanging on the side of my left rear pannier.

I also usually carry a small cable lock like used by skiers, not very robust but is very quick for a run into a store for a few minutes.

My recent Iceland trip, theft is so rare that I was often very careless, often did not bother to lock the bike up but now that I am home again I am much better at locking the bike up.  Generally I avoid touring in areas where theft may be a bigger problem, thus I have not bothered to get the most secure locks.