Author Topic: MartinF's Raven Sport Tour  (Read 17224 times)

martinf

MartinF's Raven Sport Tour
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2021, 08:34:54 pm »
Another update to my Raven Sport Tour.

I generally use this bike in good weather, so didn't bother too much about fitting a Chainglider.

But just before the spring 2021 lockdown in France I did a long day ride that involved a few kilometres of sandy track and a very deep puddle. So I needed to do some chain maintenance after that.

I had a spare Chainglider in the 42 x 18-22 size in the garage, so I took the 50T chainring off the Raven Sport Tour and tried a spare 42T ring on it, with a clean chain and using the same 19T sprocket as with the 50T chainring.

Going from 50 to 42 rings lowers the gearing by about 1 1/2 steps, giving a range of 15" to 80" instead of 18" to 95". Although I don't (yet) need the lower gearing on this relatively lightweight and lightly-loaded bike, a local ride without Chainglider confirmed that I wouldn't really miss the higher gearing. So I put the Chainglider on.

As others have said in the past, it is a tighter fit on a Raven Sport Tour than on a Raven Tour, so I did a bit of surgery on the Chainglider with a Stanley cutter to make sure there was adequate clearance at the seatstay. My Raven Sport Tour is the biggest size, 611S, the wider angle at the chainstay probably makes it easier to fit a Chainglider than on a smaller frame.

Another potential issue mentioned in the past was the possibility of the non Rohloff-specific rear part (350R-D18) of the Chainglider rubbing on the hub shell and damaging it. I can now confirm that this doesn't occur with a 19T sprocket .