Author Topic: MartinF's Raven Sport Tour  (Read 2668 times)

martinf

Re: MartinF's Raven Sport Tour
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 05:40:41 AM »
Finally got around to taping the bars (over the foam).

I've been using the bike with just the Grab-On foam up till now.

Also changed the location of the shifter, from accessory bar to Hubbub at the RHS bar end.

PhilD28

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 08:20:01 AM »
Thatís a really nice build well done

PH

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »
Very nice, I think that red is the best red I've seen on a bike, one of the few colours that look good whatever the light and better in reality than in a photo.  But IMO (And I know I may be obsessive about it...) the first thing I see on your bike is all those zip ties!

Neil Jones

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 01:40:00 PM »
Beautiful bike Martin, looks the business. Those handlebars looks very comfortable indeed. I've got a flat barred Sport Tour that I had from new and love it for my commute to work although if I was buying again I'd opt for drops like yours.

Regards,
Neil

John Saxby

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 07:08:25 PM »
Nicely done, Martin, and the red-with-black is splendid.  (Red is my preferred colour, but I chose black for my Raven with a view to making the bike as unobtrusive as possible, with just the alloy 'guards for a bit of zing.)

martinf

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 08:29:38 PM »
Those handlebars looks very comfortable indeed.

I was a bit sceptical at first with these shallow drop bars, an idea that I (again) copied from Dan.

But after using them for some time I now prefer them over the more traditional drops I have on my Raven Tour and my old lightweight derailleur tourer.

On my Raven Sport Tour I use 4 hand positions in order of increased aerodynamics - on the tops (this is for urban riding to see over the tops of cars. I have auxiliary brake levers for safety), on the hoods (braking possible, but not full power), holding the brake levers fully (hands usually here on fast descents), and hands on the lowest part of the drops (no immediate access to the brakes). I very rarely use this last position on my two other drop handlebar bikes, it is much more comfortable with these shallow drops.

martinf

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 08:37:31 PM »
the first thing I see on your bike is all those zip ties!

Function over beauty. I like a hub generator rear lamp. And on this bike I have a cadence function, so another wire. The easiest way is zip ties.

Much less visible on my black Raven Tour.

I also have a front reflector, but it must be reasonably unobtrusive as Jags hasn't yet told me to chuck it over a hedge.

jags

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 09:20:30 PM »
 ;D ;DMartin you can get RED zipties ya know  ;)
lovely bike buddy i don't think i'd be firing anything over the hedge belonging to that beauty, well ok the zip ties maybe but other  than that  the job's a good one.

anto.

David Simpson

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 09:34:06 PM »
Nice bike. I like the red.

I don't mind the zip ties. To some people, they may detract from the visual aesthetics of the bike. But to me, they are a simple solution to an engineering problem (cable routing). To each, his/her own.

- DaveS

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 12:38:13 AM »
[...Those handlebars looks very comfortable indeed.]

I was a bit sceptical at first with these shallow drop bars, an idea that I (again) copied from Dan.
So glad they're working out well for you, Martin. They continue to work well for me also; perhaps my close-second favorite to randonneur-bend 'bars.

Fantastic job on the bike; looks fast just sitting still and a real joy to behold.

All the best,

Dan.

julio

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 10:25:12 PM »
Lovely mounting Martin, you have eye for detail , well done