Author Topic: AXA and other wheel/frame/Dutch wheel lock warning!  (Read 4424 times)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
AXA and other wheel/frame/Dutch wheel lock warning!
« on: October 11, 2016, 08:30:46 pm »
Currently on tour through the Balkans. A wonderful place with a lot of variety, beauty and hidden political stress. Recommended touring country!

I wanted to recount my experience with my Axa Solid Plus frame lock ...

http://www.axasecurity.com/bike-security/en-gb/products/locks/framelocks/axa-solid-plus-black/

Previously I had the AXA Defender so this may apply to that lock too.

In the north of Croatia I took small boat from Rab town on the island of Rab to Lun on the north tip of Pag island. Its a passenger ferry and takes bikes (daily at mid-day from outside the tourist office ... 70 Kuna) ...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pag/@44.4963368,14.7158111,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4762312ac48a1c53:0xd0d304bc0cb83143!8m2!3d44.4672189!4d14.9916876

While loading and strapping the bike to the railing on the deck of the boat they must have bent the key and knocked the lock. Shortly before Novalja while cycling at 40km/hr down the last 10km to the town, I back peddled and hit the AXA wheel lock lever. It was not locked in the open position. It promptly went into the wheel, ripping out the lock and the pump spewing them onto the road. One spoke was ripped out three others were badly bent. I had to flag down the traffic to stop them driving over the lock or pump! True to form, the Thorn Raven Tour's wheel remained perfectly true and I was able to continue to the camp site without a problem.

Luckily there was a bike hire/repair place there and with a bit of careful spoke cutting and re-threading the damage was mostly repaired. The tour continues with one new spoke and the remaining three spokes still bent but - no problems! Your man supplied me with all the tools, additional spare spokes and two beers without charge as his contribution to my trip. Great guy!

I would therefore recommend that whenever you unlock your bike with a frame lock attached that you manually ensure that the lock is fixed in the open and locked position!

Photos show the boat, bike strapped on deck, my hero who helped me out and the ripped out spoke ...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:43:03 pm by StuntPilot »

geocycle

Re: AXA and other wheel/frame/Dutch wheel lock warning!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 08:59:30 pm »
That's very bad luck SP. good to hear you are still rolling along. I guess you now have a potential weakness but the wheel builds at sjs are exceptional in my view. Hope it holds out for you.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 09:34:36 pm »
Thanks Geocycle!

Yep ... no problems. The Andra 30 SJS wheel build is rock solid. I was at first a bit apprehensive about 3 bent spokes. I have since been over some really rough tracks so confidence has returned!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 09:47:42 pm »
Oh! Oh! Oh!  :o

That is dreadful, terrible luck you had with your AXA Solid Plus frame/ring lock, Richard, and I'm so sorry. What a pity to sustain such damage, and a bit of luck you did not suffer a fall or injury. Your caution to others is surely well-advised.

In response, all I can say is I selected my AXA Defender and Victory frame locks and my Trelock 4500 Balloon lock to be the key-retaining kind, as it seems you have also.

*Normally* this sort ensures the lock cannot be locked and still retain the key. Also *normally* regardless of key retention, there is an interlock so the lock shackle cannot be thrown shut unless the key is twitched as the lever is moved. This feature dates almost from its inception as a child-safety feature. At least anecdotally, there were a few instances of Dutch mothers losing their teeth when Junior in the child seat got bored and decided to play with the lock (!) while underway;  a hasty redesign soon hit the market.

Obviously, something went Very Wrong with that here...I'm guessing the key was slightly turned and bent by impact, allowing the shackle to close without intervention when you back-pedaled and hit the actuation lever.

Your clear account is really helpful and -- yes -- I think the same unlikely and unfortunate series of events could cause the same effect on other frame/ring/wheel locks, so your caution is duly noted and much appreciated.

A couple of general notes to others using such locks:
1) Unless your frame is equipped with mounting bosses in the seats stays (basically bottle basements threaded M5 x 0.8 ), you will need to rely on some sort of mounting adapter, as supplied by the lock makers and often available as a separate item. Install these brackets with thread-locking compound on the mounting hardware, and check them periodically. Some are more secure than others and a variety of factors can make even the best mounts more or less secure. These factors include seatstay diameter and spacing.

2) As I recall, the AXA Solid Plus is not rated to be as secure as the Defender or even newer Victory models, which can accept even large diameter plug-in chains to augment and increase their effectieness. The Solid's basic constrction is less robust (i.e. not fully perimeter welded case halves, as with the Victory) and has less robust plug-in options.

All the best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 10:01:33 pm »
Yeas Dan, bent key allowed the actuator to not fully engage. Now fixed and Torla Thorn Raven Tour is secure under a canopy with the AXA chain! I liked the AXA Defender but went for the Solid Plus model to allow for a larger tyre size. Still think the Solid Plus is a good lock though.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 10:06:08 pm »
Yes, definitely "good".   :)

If you ever find yourself in need of yet more tire/mud clearance with larger tires, the Trelock RS450 "Balloon" ring-lock is a good choice.

All the best,

Dan.