Author Topic: Cattle Grids  (Read 4310 times)

High Moors Drifter

Cattle Grids
« on: October 05, 2016, 08:13:54 pm »
Many of my local rides involve crossing cattle grids. I usually slow down and cross at 10mph, however even at this slow speed the bike feels as though it's about to shake to pieces. So here's the question is it better to take them at high speed or low and can they have a detrimental effect on the wheels and/or carbon forks?

I'd

AndyE

Re: Cattle Grids
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 09:55:32 pm »
A Sennybridge Training Area cattle grid cost me my 21st Birthday present on my final exercise, Army basic training. An expensive wristwatch, a weekends leave and a month's pay to replace. Not a fan of cattle grids. If it's shaking your prised ride into a bag of bolts perhaps you're taking them to fast.

Life tip! be careful about plunging your hand into the muddy abbyss searching for a lost Item, it's not just mud! ;)

Andy
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 11:27:31 pm »
I always get off before crossing them.
Life is too short now for me to be taking chances.

Apparently there are cattle grids and sheep grids. It's to do with the gap width.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 12:08:22 am »
A few years ago in extremely rural southeastern Oregon ranching country, I got off the bike to pass over a cattle grid (we call them "guards") on foot, figuring it was safer. I wasn't counting on the clear hydraulic fluid spilled on the grid from a burst fitting -- I could see later where a low-clearance equipment trailer had struck the guard. I went through, tensing my muscles as I went, stoppering at mid-calf.  This guard was just over the crest of a hill, so if a vehicle had come, I would have looked like a bad WIle E. Coyote cartoon reenactment. I spent a very busy and exhausting 20 minutes getting out. It didn't help to have the loaded touring bike atop me as I wrestled to get free. Very lucky I didn't break a leg, but the bruises made for some good photos and sore riding After.

We also have fake cattle grids. They have the side stanchions, but no pit or bars, just painted lines. They apparently fool cattle and, um, drivers who are ehm, traveling 201kmh. I gritted my teeth and braced for an impact that thankfully never arrived. Once past, I went back to try and figure out the mechanism of my deliverance.

On occasion, I have managed to loft a loaded touring bike cleanly over them on fast fownhills, but you really have to be clipping along to do so successfully.

Best,

Dan. (...who is both older and wiser now)

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 03:38:08 am »
Saw quite a few of these on my western safari in June/July. In Alberta, they're called "Texas gates"--I thought at first that there'd been a spelling mistake, and that the 2nd word should have been "grates"...but then I thought, Nah, Texans would get all huffed by that, thinking it was a verb not a noun, and then with all the guns and all, it would end in tears.  So, "gates" it is. (Though I'm sure that for some, Texas grates, too.)

No problems with the cattle grids anywhere, however, happily for me 'n' my Raven:

>  quite a few had narrow (4" - 6") plates welded into place to make a track for cyclists, one on each side of the road. No problems with those, obviously, and I was very impressed by some considerate planning. Can't remember where I saw them, but they were quite common.

> some grids had round bars, other squared, the latter easier to ride across, obviously.  For the round ones, I slowed down a bit and tried make sure I crossed at 90 degrees. No problems there, though things might have been different in rain or frost.

The one grid setup that was awkward was the bear grid which regulates entry into the campground at Lake Louise. The bars on this grid (that's "bars", the metal tubes, not the Tennessean rendering of "bears") were big 4" things, and widely spaced. First time through, the gate in front of them was open, so I went across them at slow speed, very unsteadily, and was glad to get across without mishap. Second time, the gate was closed, and there was a big sign on it pointing cyclists and pedestrians to the small wicket to the side:  seems that the gate opens & closes automatically for motor traffic, and on our first try, we had followed closely after a car & the gate had not yet closed.  The trickier thing was that the wicket--a bit like a subway turnstile--was narrow, not easily navigated with a bike with panniers, and had its own compact grid underfoot as well, which was very slick for anyone wearing cycling shoes with hard plastic outsoles; and it was right beside an electrified fence.

I guess it keeps the bears out of the campground.  I'm intrigued by the amount of expense and thought that goes into outwitting critters who are just looking for food, after all. There are food lockers throughout the western parks in Canada and the US, to ensure that cyclists and hikers have someplace to store their food, and I'm glad of that.  This bear grid was the biggest and most elaborate device I've seen, by some margin. (12-foot chainlink fences are big, of course, but not very elaborate).  On the other hand, there's a thriving niche industry in Canada, dedicated to building garbage cans which raccoons can't trash. So far, the raccoons seem to have the designers on the back foot...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 03:42:16 am by John Saxby »

Mike Ayling

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 07:16:53 am »
I now run lower tyre pressures than I did ten years ago and this gives a softer ride over the grids.

Mike

leftpoole

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 09:01:02 am »
I usually go across Cattle grids at as high a speed that I can. No detrimental issues with carbon forks that I am aware of.
John

Bill

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 02:45:45 am »
I usually go across Cattle grids at as high a speed that I can. No detrimental issues with carbon forks that I am aware of.
John

I live in Alberta where for some unknown reason they are called Texas Gates - as John Saxby noted above. Are they called Alberta Gates in Texas? I think not.

The general rule is go as fast as you can over them. Going slow just risks disaster if your wheel wobbles.

geocycle

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 09:08:11 am »
I make a split second decision on the state of the grid.  If it all looks intact then I take John's approach, if the grid is clearly damaged I'm much more circumspect.