Author Topic: Cairngorms 2016 Mini Tour  (Read 7770 times)

Templogin

Cairngorms 2016 Mini Tour
« on: September 24, 2016, 10:05:50 am »
My other half is off to ZummerZet to see her elderly parents, so I am taking this opportunity to have a mini bike tour.  I have been to the Cairngorms before, as per another post here, I rode around it.  This time though I am just going to be a slacker and ride the 60 miles to Braemar where I have rented a "Bothy" for the week.  I will do rides from there.  Last time I went early August time.  This time I will be going in the first week of October, so I am busy planning the packing list and doing the other admin.

I am hoping that the cough will be gone by then.  I am beginning to sound like a one man tuberculosis ward at the moment.  I presume that someone is teaching me a lesson as I recently hollowed out two badgers to make myself a pair of slippers.

This time I am going slum class, a pod on Northlink ferries both ways brings the cost down to about £80 return.  The pods are a device of torture.  They are reclining seats that don't recline flat and if you end up with one of the pods against the wall it will be impossible to get past the person sat next to you without limboing under them.  I have reached the age where my bladder has shrunk to the point where it needs emptying a couple of times a night, so this should be a joy.

I have a couple of problems that I need to resolve before I leave.  One is that my Camelbak Podium plastic water bottles are tasting really plasticky these days.  Perhaps they always tasted like this, or perhaps using them to carry fruit squash in has affected them.  I am considering stainless steel bottles, but I am not sure what to get.  I like being able to squeeze the bottles to reduce the backwash possibilities, but this is obviously not possible with SS.

A much lighter loaded bike should make this a better trip, but (insert deity) knows what the weather will be like.  Someone has already said that October is the worst month for ferry travel up here.  I will try extra hard to take more photos this time.

Stay tuned

AndyE

Re: Cairngorms 2016 Mini Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 04:03:01 pm »
Hi Templogin, I have problems too , this past week I have had a cough come dribbling ebola man flu, terminal according to google. My slippers are next doors cats!!

I have a similar problem with my ortlieb water containers when I fill up with water from home. I'm convinced it is the chlorination of the mains water reacting with the lining of the water carrier. I never get this when filling up from a mountain stream. I always filter water into my water carriers no matter the source with a Katadyn Hiker Pro. However this does not stop water from home tasting weird and the longer the water is in the carrier the worse it becomes.

Andy
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Templogin

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 09:34:40 pm »
Yeah, but my cough is worse than terminal!

Got a lift in the neighbour's car and he likes the heat and fans up full.  I don't think we had got 7 miles before I was wheezing like a holed bagpipe sack.  I spent the day coughing.  These lungs are beyond useless, but at least the shareholders in Woodbines did alright out of my addiction.

Well done about the cats.  I have been wondering if next door's cat, the one without the car, not the cat you understand, the neighbour, start again.  I have been wondering if the cat next door might be fashioned into a posing pouch, probably be a tight fit though!

Andy
Shetland

Templogin

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 03:14:28 pm »
The cough has got worse to the point where I am doubling the steroid(?) based spray and hammering the salbutamol inhaler as well so last night I sat down to have a think about what to do.  The choices were: -

- cancel the whole trip
- re-pack and go without the bike
- put the bike on the bus to Braemar from Aberdeen and if I got better then ride it back to Aberdeen at the end of the holiday
- put the bike on the bus to Braemar and if I didn't get any better then put the bike on the bus back to Aberdeen
- man-up and just get on with it

The first problem was getting the bike the 17 miles from Voe to Lerwick.  When I thought about it I realised that when I was indoors the cough was worse, whether I was at work, commuting on the bus, at my partner's place or at home.  When I was outside the cough was better as long as I kept moving.  If I stopped the cough would start up again.  This morning came and I finished my packing and headed out on the bike.  I stopped half way to ring the other half and tell her that I was coughing a bit, but it was far better than I expected to be, so would complete the rest of the journey.  It was a bit of struggle, but it proved the point not to give up too easily, which I am often guilty of.

I have managed to cram everything in two panniers, nothing short of a miracle for me, and they weigh about 15kg between them, so it is much more sensible than the weights I have got up to previously.

No need to respond.  I will just output a stream of consciousness, much akin to the Donald, but with pictures and hair less like a shredded wheat.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 03:17:27 pm by Templogin »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 08:30:06 pm »
When is your ferry back? I may be in Aberdeen to see you off and for a chat.
Good weather today, Monday. Rest of week looks good as well.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Templogin

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 02:31:18 pm »
Matt, I will be sailing back on Monday.  I am not sure whether my knee will stand up to the whole trip again, but I will be in touch nearer the time.

Templogin

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 02:32:40 pm »
Braemar 2016 Lerwick to Aberdeen

All packed up, girlfriend kissed, I headed for the ferry to start the journey south.  Checking in was straightforward, although the ferry crewman was over quickly to tie my bike up, so I grabbed the bag of valuables and wash kit out of the pannier and left him to it.  Arriving up in the bar I ordered a cider and paid the £4.45 requested with a feeling of surprise that I wasn't being told to bend over and touch my toes at that price.  I sat there wondering if the 3 lights I had left attached to the bike and the seat wedge containing my tools and spares would still be there in the morning.  Of course they would, I was leaving from Shetland, although I would have to be more careful once I reached the badlands of Aberdeenshire and the Highlands.

I went to the room containing the pods, looking very much like devices of torture.  Their inability for the seat to lay flat took me back to six months of nights sleeping in a reclining chair looking after my dad through his terminal cancer.  A difficult time on all accounts, not helped by trying to sleep in a reclining chair.

Few pods were booked, and those that were seemed to be by middle-aged female refugees from Shetland's Wool Week, which had just finished.  An opportunity for makkin and yakkin according to the adverts I had seen about.  One woman had a bad cough, wheezy, and I felt her pain.  Other clicked their knitting needles.  They had been doing it all week and probably couldn't stop now, such was the power of muscle memory.

The pod comes with a very thin fleece blanket, a very thin pillow and an eye mask, all wrappeed in the noisiest of cellophane wrappings.  The eye mask is surprisingly effective, but needs to be as the seats are angled to give your eyes the benefit of the glaring lights, at about 8pm though at least some of them went off.  Among the coughing, crisp eating, sweet bag scruffling and muttering and mumbling I managed to drop off to sleep for about half an hour, but only after I had stripped off some clothing.  A colleague had told me that it was cold in here at night so I had added 720 grammes to my luggage by bringing a fully body merino "condom" to slip into.  It was obviously going to be unnecessary.

I was up in the night several times to visit the bathroom, but so were many of my fellow travellers, probably due to us having reached the demographic where the bladder shrinks to some ridiculously small size.  Passengers also took their turn in snoring occasionally, and after a while seemed to get into a routine, knowing when their turn was.  I nodded off again about 1am.  When I woke shortly before 5am my knees were giving mr grief.  As I am too short for my feet to reach to footrests gravity had done its bit and the weight of my lower legs had been pulling on my knees.  Hopefully this would pass.  I got up and had a wash, deciding against the free shower as a I would have to go to reception to get a token for the machine as steerage passengers are not trusted to have the token overnight.  What they might do with it I am unsure.

I poured out the pot of pills that I need these days to keep all parts functioning and sat down to start compiling the tale of the day.  My coughing had been surprisingly mild overnight, so I hoped this was a sign of change to come.

Breakfast consisted of weetabix, all bran, grapefruit, ham, Parma ham, a Danish pastry and a mug of tea.  I slipped a boiled egg into my pocket for later.  That lot should be plenty to keep me going for a while.  The vessel docked on time and I departed from its bowels at 07:30.

The ride was mostly along the Deeside Way, which stops every so often so you end up joining the road.  You ride along for half a mile or so and spot the path has restarted in the woods to your left.  You didn't notice any signpost, but there it is.  Sometimes there are a couple of low walls between you and it.  Sometimes it is a couple of barbed wire fences. On one occasion it was a train track.  I took the occasional adjoining track wherever possible.

Frosty bench on Deeside Way.  Time to put the gloves on.

Banchory arrives 19 miles later at the same time as 09:30.  The Deeside way points one way, but a jogger tells me that the cafes are the other way.  I choose the cafes and after much faffing about removing the nickable stuff from my bike and locking up.  I wander into the cafe, legs feeling wobbly, endearing myself to one customer by accidentally kicking the chair next to him.  I apologise profusely, but he just gives me a withering look.  I think that he must have been schooled in withering looks at the same place as me.  The bacon roll and tea revives me.  I leave an hour after I arrived.

The route is flat with a slight incline all the way.  A short hill is soon followed by a downhill.  Being sheltered by trees the wind is barely noticed compared to Shetland.  After 12 miles of unremarkable riding I arrive in Aboyne.  The is a cafe that I have visited before set back from the main road behind a car park.  I park up, remove the attractive items from the bike, lock up and head into the cafe, which is mostly full of the elderly sitting down to an early lunch at 11:30.  I order a pot of tea, medium glass of apple juice and a coronation chicken jacket spud.  The drink arrives quickly, shortly followed by a huge jacket spud, sadly cooled by the half a pound of refrigerated of sliced chicken with a tablespoon of what must be the coronation part on top.  I make a brave effort, but my difficulty with swelling starchy foods has me casting around for something to help it slide down.  I notice some packets of butter have been left by the previous occupants of the adjacent table.  I grab two of them and mash them into the spud.  I obviously didn't need this much food and end up leaving the vast majority of it on the plate.  I have a pang of guilt.  There are so many in this country struggling to eat, let alone in lands farther away.  Although I have only done 31 miles I am already feeling the strain so I speak to the bus driver and ask if they are still running coaches on this route as a matter of course.  Coaches here take bikes in the bowels of the bus, whereas buses don't.  He rings the depot to inquire whether the 4pm bus out of Ballater will be a coach and this is confirmed.  At least this gives me a Plan B if required.  At 12:30 I cycle away, the stomach feeling overloaded and the butt feeling sore as I forgot to put the padded cycling shorts on whilst on the ferry, and although I could nip into the bushes at the side of the road, full lower half nudity could get me into trouble if some passing person happens to spot me.

Aboyne to Ballater is 11 miles and about halfway along you leave Aberdeenshire and move in the Highlands, passing the sign for the Cairngorms national park, the logo for which is a fish, a bird with a particularly nasty boil on its back.  There is the occasional incline, but mostly it is just a gently uphill route.  I notice that I have only been troubled by my cough when I have stopped.  Keeping the flow of clean cool air into the lungs seems to be doing me the world of good.

I am riding slowly up a slight incline and I notice what looks like a smal stiletto knife in the gutter.  I apply the fron brake and the bike stops quickly.  I roll the bike backwards and apply the front brake.  Nothing happens except the lever comes back to the grip.  Stopping with the back brake I look around for the knife, which turns out to be a strip of plastic.  Looking down at the front brake it appears that the left brake block is missing.  I drag the bike onto the grass verge then go looking at the side of the road, where I find the Koolstop brake pad.  I slide it back into the brake pad holder of the Shimano XTR brakes, but have nothing to secure it with.  The design means that the pad should stay in the holder as long as I don't brake whilst going backwards.  I know of a bike shop in Ballater who should be able to resolve the problem though so I continue plodding on.

I get into Ballater at 13:30 and go to find the bike shop.  The shop is empty of customers at the time, but incredibly well stocked with bikes and accessories.  I explain the problem.  The shop doesn't have the split pin I need, but it does have some wire, which will do for now.  Bike shops are generous places and no charge is made.  I offer to buy something from the shop, which I am told I shouldn't feel obliged to do, but I walk away with a couple of packets of Cliff energy blocks and a small roll of Gorilla tape.  I am inclined to forgo the coach and take on the rest of the journey on the bike.  I might need the energy blocks to complete it.

I buy an ice lolly that I don't really want, but feel I should keep shoving food in, then sit on a shady bench in the park in the middle of Ballater sipping from my first water bottle.  By 14:30 my mind is made up.  I will ride the remaining 17 miles to Ballater.

There is a slight hill out of Ballater, which gets the left knee complaing, but I press on out of the village into even more impressive landscapes.  I eat a couple of the energy blocks, which I have been advised not to eat like sweets, and hope that they might have some effect.  They taste fine enough.  I stop every mile to rest my thighs, knees and butt, and congratulate myself on picking such a lovely, dry and sunny day for the trip.  The sun is low now though so I have to put my baseball cap on to keep the sun out of my eyes.  Stopping becomes an every half mile occurrence once past Crathes, which seems to be a hub to go to visit Balmoral from.  Balmoral is one of Royalty's homes.  I assume that there is an entrance fee.  They don't do much for nothing this lot!

Eventually the 30mph countdown markers arrive as I enter.  There is a final hill to ascend, almost the final punishment, then it's take the junction on the right, go past the TIC then turn left around to the "Bothy", which is part of the Ivy Cottage emporium of guest house, cottage and "Bothy".  I get the keys at 16:30 and the tour around this studio flat, leave my £100 "good housekeeping" deposit and am left to my own devices.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 02:27:43 pm by Templogin »

Templogin

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 05:31:52 pm »
 Braemar 2016 - Part 2

I realise that I should have probably done the cycling when I was younger as I hobble around the flat.  Tomorrow will definitely be a rest day, my knees are throbbing.  I visit the bathroom, the first time in 11 hours then take a wander over to the Co-op for provisions.  This shop is one of those early to late enterprises with a good range of stock, Braemar is a long way from anywhere.  A cup of tea and a couple of sausage rolls are a priority and afterwards I slowly unpack everything to its place for the next week.

The electric shower washes the day off me, albeit slowly with its minimal water output.  I bimble around in my pyjamas and slippers for a while then decide horizontal might be a better position.  The bed is high and I clamber onto it on my knees, something that I immediately regret as the pain has me howling like a wolf against a full moon backdrop.  Once on it the bed is comfortable enough despite the sprung mattress.  There's nothing quite like memory foam!  After a little TV, just for the novelty, I haven't had one for two decades, and rarely see one these days, I turn in for the night.  Despite the sleeping tablet I find it hard to sleep, and have a restless night until 07:30 when my alarm goes off.  After a short grumble I sleep well until 11:00, when my day starts again, a day of wandering around the village, stopping at a cafe for lunch, a couple of trips to Co-op and a trip to the horn shop for a horn spoon and fork, something to remember the visit by that will pack easily.

Tomorrow the bike will be unlocked from its shackles in the garage for a trip to Braemar Castle, the castle run by the community, and perhaps beyond.

I have forgotten to bring the cable which allows me to transfer the photos to the iPad, so I will add photos after my return home.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 12:05:34 am »
Matt, I will be sailing back on Monday.  I am not sure whether my knee will stand up to the whole trip again, but I will be in touch nearer the time.

Sounds like you're on quite an adventure. So near me as well. Inverurie.

I have had to make a snap decision due to work and family commitments, and so will be away in Fort William when you catch the ferry on Monday.
I'll bus to Inverness with the Raven and then bike down to Fort William.
Have a day on Ben Nevis with my new Garmin Etrex20x and then cycle back to Inverness for the bus home.
I think it's about 70 miles down the loch side. I've done it twice before. Either side of loch Ness.

Also I may  get away the following week and rent a Bod on Yell for 2 nights.
If so, I'll let you know.

Good luck with the rest of your tour. Fingers crossed for you knees!

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Templogin

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 07:57:09 pm »
Your wife must be a saint Matt!  Sorry that we will miss each other.   Monica is away at the moment for a couple of weeks so when I get back I might be staying in Lerwick or Voe.  Just PM me when you know when you are coming to Shetland.  Still no broadband at home, but I can pick up mail at work and. Monica's.  I will be working though so won't be able to get away for rides.

Templogin

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 08:49:55 pm »
Braemar 2016 - Part 3

Another lazy day pottering about, although I did get the bike from the garage and head off to Braemar castle for a look around.  They have handheld devices that they give out to visitors that describes the room that you are visiting.  Whilst I can't claim any expertise in the subject of history, I like to look around these places to see the often obscene levels of privilege that those within the walls had compared to those who lived outside the walls.  No-one was going hungry or uncared for within these walls.  Thankfully we have learnt from history and no-one goes hungry or uncared for in this country whilst others live in obscene levels of privilege - coughs quietly into hand.

The castle is run by the local community and is obviously very popular, even in early October there are plenty of people there, and I hear several different tongues spoken. On the way out I speak to one of the volunteers who is toying with the idea of getting an electric bike.  I thoroughly recommend this course of action, and admit that I have been looking at them as well.  It is only indecision that has stopped me, but I think that I might have come to a conclusive answer.  As I can't buy a Brompton without visiting a dealer, why not have one of the Moultons "electrified"?

Braemar Castle/hunting lodge

Dumb animal shooting

Do it in style

I am advised the Betty has gone back to London.  She must have forgotten my invitation to tea.  I had hoped for a swan sandwich at the very least.

Braemar has a mountain sports centre selling all sorts of outdoor wear and gear.  Next to it is the Bothy, a really nice cafe.  I have a small bowl of delicious mushroom soup, a small brown roll and a bottle of Fentimans orange juice.  The bill for £7.20 seemed a bit on the high side, but I am not sure if I am just being mean.  I take a tour of the clothing and gear store and contemplate a replacement Tilley hat, but they haven't the model that I want, the lightweight version of the T5 or the hemp version, the T5H in the correct size.  I see something that I would like to buy for my partner, a thick gilet, but it takes up too much space, so I give it a miss.

I head back to the horn shop for advice on the material and care for my spoon and fork.  They turn out to be cow horn and I can use them to stir my tea, but must not put them in the dishwasher, but that I owned a dishwasher.  I am the dishwasher.

As usual I have brought too much stuff with me so I nip into the Co-op for provisions.  For those further afield from the UK, co-operative stores have many laudable aims including "Co-operatives work for the sustainable development of their communities through policies approved by their members".  The word sustainable brings to my mind other related words such as reduce, re-use and recycle, so it seems the perfect place to pick up a used cardboard box which I can cut down, fill with stuff I didn't need on this trip and send back home through the Post Office, the franchise of which is in the Co-op.  The member of staff can't give me a box though as they don't have any.  What she can do though is sell me a Post Office cardboard box, all nicely printed with the PO logo and address boxes for from and to addresses etc.  I decline the kind offer and decide to carry the stuff back myself.  It should be less than a kilogram with any luck.

I idle the afternoon away and promise myself I must do some exercise tomorrow.  The left knee is considerably improved, but it was still a strain coming up the hill into Braemar.  Hopefully a ride tomorrow won't ruin it for the cycle back to Aberdeen on Monday.

Andy
The People's Republic of Shetland!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 08:44:00 pm by Templogin »

Templogin

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 09:20:24 pm »
My name is Andy, and I haven't had a ride since yesterday.

What a slacker - I had another day off!

Hangs head in shame.

Templogin

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 06:35:10 pm »
Braemar 2016 - Part 4

I decided that I couldn't idle around anymore and should test the knee on a short ride.  There is a single track road that runs south parallel to the A93. It's gently undulating, but enough to give me some confidence that my knees are back to normal.  I followed the road to its junction with the main road and headed back on that.  The round trip was probably just under 6 miles.  My mapping app has a scale but I can't get an accurate measurement due to the way the scale keeps stretching whenever I get the road close to the scale.

There are just a couple of uninspiring pictures, which I will add later.

(South of Braemar - looking north)

(South of Braemar - looking out into the clouds)

The temperature here only got as far as 10 degrees C so it feels really Octoberry.  Brrr!  It's 3 degrees warmer in Shetland today.

Fierce beasts outside Taste Cafe in Braemar
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 08:48:29 pm by Templogin »

Templogin

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2016, 07:33:08 pm »
With the iPad playing up I decided it was time to take a trip to Aberdeen.  I couldn't wait for Monday when I would be riding that way anyway due to not knowing how much time I would have spare and not having anywhere to put the bike that was secure enough.  Fortunately there is a bus service on a Sunday so I took the 2 hour and 20 minute coach ride to visit the Apple store.  As usual they were brilliant.  Although my iPad was not displaying the fault at the time they took my word and issued me with a new iPad replacement.  I spent ages downloading my files from the cloud, but the most important ones, the encrypted password database and my bank transactions were stored elsewhere.  As the majority of my passwords are complex there is no hope of remembering one, let alone all of them so I was beginning to realise that I had outsmarted myself.

The coach took the same amount of time to get back but seemed much longer.  I dropped into the Co-op and bought a large macaroni cheese micrwave meal to give me some carbs for the ride back the next day.

Templogin

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 08:02:08 pm »
The ride back started off really cold.  I only got 400 yards and realised that I needed to put my Buff on.  Four hundred yards further down the road I had to stop again and pull the Buff over my face and ears.  It really was bitingly cold, so I cracked along as fast as I could.  The ride profile being on the whole downhill, if only slightly was hopefully going to make the ride a pleasure.

I reached Ballater in a very quick time, bought a sausage roll and a tea from a baker's shop open early, dispensing pies to workmen.  I retraced my track back up the road to turn off and join the Deeside Way, which I hadn't realised came this far.  A dog chased me down the road, somehow barking when it seemed to have a ball in its mouth.  I just kept ahead of it wondering how far it would follow me for.  The owner was probably behind a tree somewhere - ashamed.  I eventually found the path, which was quite narrow in places, but at least not overgrown.  There were dog walkers out enjoying the sunshine and with the sun coming up, rising temperatures.

The path ejaculated out onto the main road in Aboyne and I headed off on a side street and found a cafe for a flat white.  Hilltrek was next door.  This shop makes and sells garments from such material as cotton Ventile, and as I had been offered a discount I decided to go and have a look at them and see which jacket would suit in looks, size and cost.  I chose the Assynt in medium, but I couldn't buy it as I couldn't remember the PIN number for my card.  I had a record of this in the encrypted database, which I could not access.  When I thought about it afterwards I could have just stood outside the shop, rang them and placed the order and had them send the jacket to me back home.

By this stage I had done about 30 miles in very still conditions, either that or I was protected from it, but an easterly wind picked up making the going hard and every hill, albeit small was a struggle.  At least the knees weren't hurting though, and I had learnt my lesson and was wearing the padded cycling shorts this time.

I dragged myself into Banchory and sat in a cafe eating soup, a gingerbread man and a mug of coffee to keep me going, before heading out on the last leg back to Aberdeen.  I would have liked to have spent more time travelling on the NCN195, but the signposting is fairly hopeless in places.  I suppose the route is probably signposted by locals so it is all blatantly obvious to them, but not to an outsider like myself, so I found myself all too often on the road when I didn't need to be.

I got to Aberdeen at about 3 o'clock after several short breaks and a detour en route looking for a public convenience.  The only one that I could find was one of the new automagic ones, but it was out of service.  We can land a space thing on a lump of rock a million miles away, but can't keep a toilet working.  There's progress for you!  By the time that I got to Aberdeen I had absorbed the water that I had wanted to jettison.

It was good to get in the shower on the ferry, but my towel was so small it was like a large flannel, but not as luxurious.  I ended up getting my wet body into dry clothes to dry myself off when the towel reached its critical mass of water retention abilities.  The ferry rocked about a lot and shortly after downing a mug of tea it came back up again into the thoughtfully provided sick bag.  I would get sick on a pond though, so it wasn't as though we were being thrown about on the high seas, tossed by a storm.

Tuesday morning and I was back in Leriwck.  In my haste to get off the ferry I didn't take the brake band off, and rode to my partner's house thinking that I must have weakened overnight.  Bikes go faster with the brakes off - I must remember that.  After breakfast, some attempts at sorting out the new iPad I decided to ride the 17 miles home.  There was still and easterly, stronger here, but I was riding north so it shouldn't be too bad.  The ride nearly crucified me.  I really did struggle with the hills we have here, but eventually I made it home.  The butt was a little sore, but very little.  The knees were perfect.  The cough had stopped a few days ago.  Within an hour I was as right as rain.