Author Topic: Fuelling a Multi-Fuel Stove on UK Tours  (Read 7593 times)

Templogin

Fuelling a Multi-Fuel Stove on UK Tours
« on: September 16, 2016, 11:46:30 pm »
If you were planning a tour in the UK, being self-sufficient, wild camping with a multifuel stove, and ran out of fuel, how would you overcome this?  I can't imagine many garages willing to sell you a litre of petrol for instance.  I wouldn't want to strap 5 litres of fuel container to the bike.

macspud

Re: Fuelling a Multi-Fuel Stove on UK Tours
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 12:30:53 am »
As far as I can remember 1 litre is the minimum at most garages.

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 02:55:44 pm »
Used to be easy enough to fill up a fuel bottle at most petrol stations, but I haven't used petrol for a few years since I switched to the Trangia for use in UK and Europe.

Even if the minimum charge is 1 litre it's still cheap enough if you don't need a full litre.
Alternatively you could lurk at the petrol station and ask for a slug of petrol from someone else as they fill their car.

Buy Coleman Fuel or Primus equivalent at nearest outdoor store.

Something I started doing after a couple of multifuel stove failures (msr pump seals etc), was to carry an emergency 'esbit' tablet type stove, or even just a pack of the tablets themselves which you can then support your pan over with a few stones.

Bill C

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 08:26:04 pm »
a tin of zippo,ronson or other brand lighter petrol can be bought almost anywhere, burns clean
i still use an army no7 petrol stove, runs fine on lighter fluid

Templogin

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 09:56:36 pm »
First prize to Bill I think.  Lighter fuel has to be available almost anywhere they sell ciggies in the UK, whereas I might not always find an outdoor shop.

I have seen petrol pump "attendants" rush out to tell people that they couldn't refill unapproved containers.  I didn't know what they might make of a fuel bottle and a funnel.

Thanks a lot for the input guys.

Andy

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 12:15:08 pm »
I have seen petrol pump "attendants" rush out to tell people that they couldn't refill unapproved containers.  I didn't know what they might make of a fuel bottle and a funnel.

I am in USA so our rules might be different, but a stove fuel bottle sold for that purpose should meet the criteria for the container specifications, but a red container can only be used for gasoline and I do not recall the color criteria for kerosene.  That said, an "attendant" likely only knows some of the rules.

leftpoole

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 03:34:47 pm »
Purchased from USA I have an MSR fuel bottle made from Titanium. It is titanium colour not red.
John
The saving weight issue with Titanium bottle is obviously lost because of the actual fuel weight!

macspud

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 02:49:36 am »
a tin of zippo,ronson or other brand lighter petrol can be bought almost anywhere, burns clean

It could be useful in a pinch. It aquates to £22+ per litre for lighter fluid, so that would put me off using it as a stapple fuel supply.

mickeg

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 01:40:11 pm »
Purchased from USA I have an MSR fuel bottle made from Titanium. It is titanium colour not red.
John
The saving weight issue with Titanium bottle is obviously lost because of the actual fuel weight!

But think about the bragging factor of how much Titanium gear you have.

I did a quick google search, the following is for my state (Wisconsin) but the regulation it cites is over 10 years old (state agency name has changed, may have other changes too?).  I added underlining for emphasis.

Wisconsin Administrative Code Comm 10 – Flammable and Combustible Liquids
Section 10.28
General provisions for sale, purchase, dispensing or use of flammable and
combustible liquids.
(1) LABELING. No sale or purchase of any Class
I, II or III liquid may be made in containers,
unless such containers are clearly marked with the name of the product.
(2)
CONTAINERS. (a) A Class I flammable liquid when used in starting an engine or as fuel for
a small heating appliance, lighting appliance, power tool or gasoline engine shall be dispensed
only from an approved, properly identified safety can or screwed cover spout can approved for
that specific use.
(b) No dispensing of any liquids having a flash point of less than 100º F may be made into
portable containers or portable tanks unless such container or tank is substantially a bright red
color.
The container shall also be either listed or classified by Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
(c) No kerosene, fuel oil or similar liquids having a flash point of 100º F or more may be filled
into any portable container or portable tank colored red

I think most camp stove fuel bottles have been sold as red or metal color, but newer Optimus brand bottles are green while my older Optimus bottles are red.  Quite frankly, I would not worry about any of this stuff.  If they do not let you fill your bottle, go to the next gas station.

AndyE

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 02:57:03 pm »
I'm a multi fuel user, A Primus  OmniLite Ti. What drew me to this stove was it's weight and no conversion is needed to run gas from liquid fuel, other than to purge the stove. Do not forget a funnel if you want refill at a petrol Pump or Jerry can.

Unmanned Petrol stations at some supermarkets would be a good bet, usually card only payments. Unfortunately 2 liters is the minimum delivery at most UK pumps from what I have seen. Keep an eye open for a building site and tradesmen, they may be using a small generator.
 DIY shops have good supplies too, paraffin and gas. The webber canister came from B&Q, the slim Go systems came from Wicks, photo below. Screwfix, Toolstation, Homebace, the list almost endless.You can use Campingaz CP250 Gas Cartridge available at most supermarkets in the uk with an adapter. HEAR There are plenty of Outdoor shops in the UK so there is not much chance of running out of a liquid fuel or gas. I alway carry Gas and Petrol, when on tour or Kayaking. Gas is by far the quickest way for a hot brew and I tend to use gas just for that purpose. In July this year I used 300ml of liquid fuel on a 6 day trip, cooking Breakfast and Dinner and half a canister of Weber gas brewing up at lunchtime. The go systems works well in bottle cage.

And if you totally run out there is always a small wood fire! or McDonalds :-X

Andy

P.S No need to cook salad  :o

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 03:33:44 pm by AndyE »
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Peter_K

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 04:17:19 pm »
I use a gasoline stove myself, but I use as little car fuel as possible. The reason for this is that fuel for a car contains additives (or dopes) that are toxic when burnt in your stove.

Here in the Netherlands the construction markets sell "wasbenzine", which is basically gasoline without the additives.

Perhaps closest available there is white gas, or Coleman fuel (widely available in the USA).

Here a helpful list with fuel names.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:34:17 pm by Peter_K »

Bill C

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 02:40:28 am »

It could be useful in a pinch. It aquates to £22+ per litre for lighter fluid, so that would put me off using it as a stapple fuel supply.

yeah but he asked what you'd use if you ran out of fuel,
I'd use lighter petrol for the reason i gave up thread, you can buy it anywhere, if a couple of quid is more than you can afford to spend to get your dinner cooked and a few brews, then your next best bet is start picking up twigs and go all bushcrafty  ::)
i'd sooner spend a couple of quid n keep my pans soot free  ;)

PhilD28

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 06:07:38 pm »
I use Aspen 4 fuel, it runs far cleaner than petrol and is much cheaper than Coleman fuel. It's available in lots of agricultural supplies shops where they sell petrol strimmers, chainsaws and the like, there are plenty of these stores in rural areas where we tour on bikes.

But mostly I prefer to use my Trangia these days, it's just a nicer system to cook on.

Dave B

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 09:37:41 pm »
I use a pocket rocket myself,  which i purchased from an Army & Navy type store several years ok for approx 13 pounds.  It uses screw on gas cylinders which seem to last forever. I understand using multi fuels in developing countries but gas canisters are so much more convenient and safer.

Neil Jones

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 10:01:43 pm »
For my long distance path walks I take an MSR Micro Pocket Rocket, ultralightweight, reliable and packs down really well. Think it was around the £25 mark. Still got a soft spot for Trangia's though.

Neil