Author Topic: Son edelux lighting  (Read 7160 times)

jul

Son edelux lighting
« on: September 16, 2016, 09:12:04 am »
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a Son edelux lighting (when i'll find a good deal on the web)

Waiting, i would like to know if i can install it "backwards", i mean the wire will go out to the top. (see photo)

Is there a modification so that to obtain the same illuminating beam ?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:32:07 am by julio »

David Simpson

Re: Son edelux lighting
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 05:07:02 pm »
Edelux does make a version that is intended to be mounted upside-down.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting/schmidt-edelux-ii-upside-down-high-power-led-headlight-polished/

I don't know if it is possible to modify a regular Edelux light to change the beam. My guess is that it would be very difficult, if not impossible.

- DaveS

jul

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 07:17:57 pm »
Yes i saw this one.

It is curious that the regular edelux is not removable .. that mean it is not possible to change the leds !??

IanW

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 10:15:58 pm »
It is curious that the regular edelux is not removable .. that mean it is not possible to change the leds !??

I think that the reason that the LED + reflector assembly is not removable is because,
to achieve German StVZO approval,
it must not be possible to mis-position the light such that it emits any light above the horizon (when mounted as designed / intended).

If you were somehow able to easily invert the LED + reflector within the body of the light's outer case,
then you could cause the light output to shine above the horizon
(until you mount the light inverted of course).
And this would mean that the eDelux could not be StVZO-approved.

jul

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 01:36:03 pm »
Ok.

I  prefer to choose a regular edelux and to adapte it with a fixing lug, like that if one day i want to change the edelux's position...

Are they who have this lighting (edelux or edelux || ) on their bike ?  are you satisfied ?

RonS

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 06:24:20 pm »
Hi Julio

If you want to be able to mount the lamp from above or below you may want to consider the new IQ-X model from B&M. The mounting bracket is adjustable so that the lamp can be mounted either way.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 08:26:15 pm »
I think most lights are designed so that water resistance is only good when the light is oriented the way it is supposed to be.  I make this as a generic comment, I am not talking about a specific model when I say this.  If I wanted to change the position of a light, I would do it with a DIY bracket to change the position, not the orientation.

jul

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 10:03:38 pm »
Rons, I heard the IQ-X b&m sensor doesn't work perfectly..
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/bicyclelifestyle/TGg_yhYaIE8/rTCiyGfyAwAJ

Look this interesting post and why my choice is edelux .. 
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.php

geocycle

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2016, 04:50:47 pm »
I think most lights are designed so that water resistance is only good when the light is oriented the way it is supposed to be.  I make this as a generic comment, I am not talking about a specific model when I say this.  If I wanted to change the position of a light, I would do it with a DIY bracket to change the position, not the orientation.

Yes I agree. I'd not hang an edelux upside down, partly due to risk of water ingress and also because of the difficulty in getting the beam pattern right.

jul

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 01:22:41 am »
Hi !

I bought a used Son Edelux recently.

It's curious, the light works only when i turn my front wheel with my hand but not when i ride  (sitting on the bike)  ::)

There was this ring connector but i don't know if i need to use it ..

« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 02:14:37 am by julio »

David Simpson

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 08:15:44 am »
I don't have the Edelux, so this is just a guess, but perhaps the light isn't properly grounded. When you spin the tire by hand, maybe the frame is grounded because the frame is connected to the ground by whatever is holding up the frame (you or a frame stand). When you ride the bike, the frame is not grounded because the tires are insulating it from the ground. On the other hand, why would the frame need to be grounded? It is more likely that the light would need to be grounded to the frame.  [Editing out my obvious wrong suggestion, so as to not mislead future readers. Between the dynohub and the light, there needs to be only two wires. The light does not need to be grounded to the frame, and the frame certainly does not need grounding to the earth.]

Could that ring be intended for grounding the light to the frame?

These are just some guesses.

- DaveS
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 07:33:54 pm by David Simpson »

ajbenie

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 08:42:10 am »
The edelux comes with a coaxial cable to connect up to the dynamo and shouldn't need grounding via the frame.. The ring connector is for the rear light ground, the positive is a small spade connector that goes in to thebody on the underside of the light. Depending on your setup, you can try swapping the cables over at the dynamo (grounding isue), but most likely you have a loose connection somewhere, also try tightening up the nuts/qr-release for the dynamo and rhe lamp holder as it could be that your ground goes via the frame and when you ride the connection is lost as the wheel moves slightly.
/Andy

jul

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 12:45:36 am »
Yes i've just swapped the connector on the hub, and it works incredibly well  :o

Thanks to you