Author Topic: Uneven wear on Marathon Supremes. Rear wheel  (Read 8858 times)

Neil Jones

Re: Uneven wear on Marathon Supremes. Rear wheel
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 09:12:11 pm »
I'm going to jump to the Marathon Plus's defence too.

I commute to work at 4.45am on unlit country roads which at certain times of year are covered in the remnants of hedge cuttings, I would not fancy changing a tyre over in the dark and risk being late for work. My tyres have done 8,000+ puncture free miles. I run mine at 57psi front and 60. rear. I usually swap over to Supremes in May and they do feel much nicer although I've suffered 3 punctures using them. Horses for courses I reckon.

Neil

jags

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 10:17:51 pm »
Tis an awful hour to sending any man out to work  :o

energyman

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 02:35:10 pm »
Never buy politically biased tyres !

martinf

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 05:39:23 pm »

IronMac

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2016, 05:54:58 am »
Hi Mac!

I remember....
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=8955.0

I'm slowly developing another thesis...

When coasting -- no matter how short a distance -- do you habitually stop pedaling with the same foot at the bottom of the stroke?

If so, it might not cause a shift in weight (same weight each side no matter the leg position in the pedal stroke), but it could shift your balance more to one side and I'm wondering if this could be enough to cause more wear on one side...maybe enough to offset road crown.

Another factor might be positioning on the saddle. If one leg is a bit shorter or if one's pelvis is a little less than symmetrical, it could result in sitting more heavily on one side of the saddle.

If touring, are your pannier loads distributed evenly side to side?

Do you make a lot of right turns? In the UK (or elsewhere when riding on the left), right turns are longer than left turns and so can cause more wear over time.

Also, I recall your bike was a Rohloff-equipped Bike Friday? If this is the same bike, it is possible the rear triangle is not exactly in plane with the rest of the bike. I have an unserialed prototype Bike Friday New World Tourist (the factory is in my town) hanging in my garage rafters. The pivot for its rear swingarm (used not for suspension but for folding) is misaligned vertically to one side so the wheels are slightly out of plane with each other, a bit like "X" when viewed from the rear, but so subtly off as to be unnoticeable when just eyeballing. A number of BF models have the downtube deliberately offset to one side to also facilitate folding. There's a lot going on near the bottom bracket connections and everything is a little "different" than on a conventional bike, so it takes careful measurement on an alignment table or surfaced reference to spot any problems. In my own experience, I've found smaller diameter wheels tolerate greater dropout misalignment than larger ones without causing obvious handling problem because the tangent from axle to rim is smaller.

Best,

Dan.

Hi Dan!

That's a really good memory! Mystery never solved but your last possibility is really good!!! The tire in question was replaced after it developed sidewall cracks. Current tire shows nothing out of the ordinary and it must be reaching at least 10,000 kms by now. The front tire that I mentioned has worn beautifully with over 20,000 kms on it.

So, first, the coasting...no, I don't believe I have a bias as to which leg is "down" and which is "up" when I coast.

The shorter leg thesis...very possible because I have noticed at times that I feel a bit "off" when pedaling as in I feel I have to "reach" with one leg over the other.

No touring due to wife's directive.  :(

I make a lot of left turns from what I can recall.

And that last thesis is pure genius! Yes, the bike's rear triangle is a bit offset which is confirmed by the folding lever. I had a creaking noise coming from the bike and I had to work it over quite a bit so I saw more of the bike from below than I would necessarily like.

I think, in the end, at this moment I would put it down to a bad tire. The current tire seems to be wearing evenly so far...knock on wood...do I dare even look???

Best,

IM

IronMac

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2016, 06:02:22 am »
How harsh a ride are Marathon Plus'?

I don't really have anything to compare them to since they are a real PITA to put on and take off. Once they are on, they stay on!

On my most recent bike (2009) I had a flat within a couple of months (maybe 1000 kms in?) when a 2 inch nail went through the bottom and out the sidewall. Luckily, it did not catch on the brake but it was a close run thing.

I guess that's about it for punctures. Well over 20k kms with only one puncture...not bad. I once had 3 punctures in three days while touring on newish Trek Bontrager tires.

martinf

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 06:21:39 am »
How harsh a ride are Marathon Plus'?

There are lots of sizes, which must feel different.

I have 700C x 28, which feel very harsh compared to midweight 700C x 28 (old Michelins). The thickness of the Marathon Plus tread and sidewalls in that size means there is less space for air. 

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2016, 11:10:38 am »
I found the Marathon Plus more sluggish on an unloaded Raven Tour compared with the Panaracer Tour Guards that I had previously. Loaded however there was little difference as far as I could tell. The Marathon Plus tyres last longer than the Tourguards for loaded touring, are more puncture resistant and have stronger sidewalls.

Throwing this into the thought mix ... when I get on and off the bike on the left side both feet are not on the pedals when doing so. What if you mount and dismount on the left side with the left foot always on the pedal? An example being standing up, swinging the right leg over the frame while coasting to a stop with all your weight on the left pedal just before dismounting? Could that movement over time put a small twist in the frame so that the rear axel is not exactly perpendicular to the longitudinal axis (direction of travel)? The non-drive side axel mount could be very slightly forward of the right drive side? Maybe too slight to notice with the brake alignment and position of the wheel? Could that lead to more wear on one side of the tyre?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:14:25 am by StuntPilot »