Author Topic: Toe clip or spd??  (Read 26500 times)

Milemuncher

• Pedaling on Regardless
Re: Toe clip or spd??
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2011, 09:06:03 pm »
I took to SPDs on my Tricross.  Fell off twice, both times my careless fault, but kept going with them.  Liked the push/pull sensation a lot.  Developed a corn on my left foot just at the edge of the cleat.  Specified SPDs for my new Thorn RST but fell off third time out with them.  Started off in too low a gear and could not snap my foot off in time to regain balance.  Partly as the SPDs were not worn in and were still very stiff.  Decided on the more relaxed touring mode of the Thorn I was happy with flat pedals and went back to them.  Have stayed with them as I like wearing ordinary shoes for touring and the freedom to stop and stare at will and at the drop of a hat.  Norman

Andybg

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2012, 02:57:28 pm »
I started back in the hey day with look shoes and pedals and more recently changed my racing fleet to the more recent shimano ultegra clipless pedals and shoes. On my two thorns I have the toe clips without the straps. Using this new fangled plasticy toe clips.

I find the benefit of using normal shoes and the advantage of instant foot release (especialy with the grandchild on the back) far out way the benefit of cleats. The other advantage I find is that the more flexible normal shoes allow for more foot movement which I find more comfrtable when riding all day. I still have my cleats on my race bike but I think the main advantage is raw accelertion in a sprint than them being more efficient. I have never seen any comparisons on efficiency but to be honest I am a bit sceptical.

JWestland

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2012, 03:57:45 pm »
My two cents:

So, cycling for ages but never had SPDs
Commute, do city cycling and tour whenever I can (only just have my XTC)
Got Shimano PD-M324 double sided pedals for trainee purposes
Spring settings seem to be half-tight
Cleats are SH51 single release ones

So...I got on the bike first last Sunday after a quick training round in the front street.
And so far I found it easy to use. There was a bit of an emergency pull-out at the traffic light (green for 3 seconds sheesh..)

My two cents:

The pedal will easily unclip with your foot in the bottom position
So what I tend to do if I see a traffic light/ejit driver coming is get ready to unclip

I think of rotating and pushing my heel outwards...that seems to do it for me.

Mind you I got shoes of e-bay from somebody who couldn't get used to SPD...so you are not the only one :)
If you keep going you will get used to it no doubt ^_^
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

JWestland

Re: Toe clip or spd?? Power Grips is another option
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2012, 09:25:25 pm »
BTW there's Power Grips as well these are similar to toe straps but you twist into them with your feet, so you don't need to tighten the straps while already moving as with toe clips :)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

julk

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2012, 09:44:16 pm »
I started off with rubber block flat pedals some time last century, they worked fine.
Once I got dropped handlebars I had to get toeclips and straps - used them for years and liked them.

Moving with the times, and afraid I was missing something, I acquired double sided SPDs and suitable cycling shoes.
After falling over a couple of times I grew to like them more than toeclips.
I have recently moved on to using one sided SPD pedals with a flat side as well, useful for the occasional casual shoe ride, although I tend to ride barefoot in SPD sandals.

Mrs julk likes her pedals with the short half length toe clip without a strap.

jags

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2012, 11:16:26 pm »
i changed over to  spd when look first brought them out 100 years ago ;)
if your new to spd go for shimano one sided spd. and only clip into one of the pedals, that way until you get used to locking into the pedal you still have one foot free  left side is better. ;)
hope that works for you.