Author Topic: Toe clip or spd??  (Read 26593 times)

lewisnoble

Toe clip or spd??
« on: May 06, 2007, 10:22:09 pm »
I hope the discussion on this does not get too heated!!

I started cycling back in the 60's, when I did some major tours on a £5 (s/hand) Witcombe bicycle - and toe clips were all that seemed available at that time.

I resumed cycling again about 3 years ago, first on a Trek MTB and now on a Raven Tour - most of my riding is urban, with occasional trips into the Peak District - I plan to do the C2C this summer.

I still use toe clips - I tried SPDs, but couldn't get the hang of them and fell off twice.  Even on the lowest setting, the Shimano spd pedals seemed hard to get out of.  My sons and all my cycling friends say I should persevere as they are so much more efficient - I can see their point, but am reluctant to try spds again.

Any observations??

Lewis

Fred A-M

Re: Toe clip or spd??
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 10:55:17 pm »
Hi Lewis

Like you, I persevered with toe clips for most of my cycling life, undertaking several major tours, and retained toe clips even when I bought my RST last year!  Finally a couple of months ago, I took the plunge with SPDs and my conclusion is that there's no contest: SPDs are much more efficient.  As for getting out of them, I've not really found it problem as long as I'm anticipating coming to a standstill: possibly being relaxed as you come to halt so that you remember the right movement probably makes a difference.  If you are tense, its probably a bit of an impediment to releasing your feet smoothly.

I have fallen off once, at the end of a long ride, in Brixton, as a bloke in nothing but underpants holding a pint of beer started dancing in the street directly at the point where I was due to stop in front of some traffic lights.   My tired confused brain forgot that I had SPDs as I came to a premature halt, and much to the amusement of onlookers, I duly keeled over!

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 10:31:23 am »
My experience has been identical to that of Fred A-Ms (apart from the underpant incident!).  I took a lot of convincing that my toe clips should go, but now with single sided SPDs I would not look back.  I went for the Shimano pedals with SPD on one side and a standard flat pedal on the other.  For me this is a good choice as I can mix and match footwear (boots, sandals, trainers, formal shoes as well as Specialized tahos).  It also means you can unclip in heavy traffic if needed without danger of accidentally clipping in again.  Are they more efficient than toe clips? Hard to say for most relaxed riders in my opinion, the biggest gain of any sort of attachment is getting your foot in the right position, but the roadies tell us that the up-stroke is stronger with SPDs which I am sure is correct.

PH

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 03:22:37 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by lewisnoble

Even on the lowest setting, the Shimano spd pedals seemed hard to get out of.  

Which cleats did you have?  Most Shimano MTB/leisure pedals can be used with either single release or multi release. The single release require a specific movement to release, with the multi release any non pedalling action will get you out.  The disadvantage is it's possiable to accidentaly pull out of the multies, though in over five years of use it's never happened to me. Thde other disadvantage is most pedals come with the singles, so it'll cost you another tenner!  I think the platform/SPD ones might come with multies? Maybe geocycle could confirm.

Swislon

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 07:08:48 pm »
I have felt comfortable with both clips and SPDs.
All my bikes now have SPDs because I use stiff cycling shoes and it seems sensible to use SPDs to get the most efficency. I have a pair of cycling shoes that are a little more business like when I visit clients. One sided make sense if you want to use a variety of footwear but on my RST & tandem I use double sided SPDs because I don't want to look down to get my feet in. I just jump on & go. However on my audax bike I have single sided road pedals which can only be used on the SPD side. They are great but I often have to just flick them over to get my feet in after being stopped. This would be a pain round town or on the trails, but not if you don't stop very often.

I would use clips again if I have to but I prefer SPDs they are not just more efficient but also look alot neater on the bike. You need to set them on a loose setting and practice getting in and out (find a nice soft landing area [B)][:D]). Once mastered I don't think you'll look back.

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 07:52:00 pm »
Checked on the way home and PH is correct that you can exit the single side SPDs by twisting either to the left or right. If you only use cycling shoes then I am sure that swislon is correct about the greater merit of double sided pedals.  But, I find that the single sided pedals keep the same orientation they were last used for, so if using the SPD side this tends to remain upward after disengaging at traffic lights.  This might be because they are still relatively new of course.  I tend not to look down to see which side is uppermost but set off anyway and do it by feel, I don't find this a problem as at worst you use the platform side for a few revolutions.

Bill

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 09:45:29 pm »
Okay I am going to be the contrarian here.

I put ritchey clipless pedals on my mountain bike about ten years ago and used them for three seasons. They weren't too hard to get in and out of, and I liked them fine.

I had to use the bike for a bike and hike trip and put platform pedals back on it so I could use hiking boots. I never put the clipless pedals back on and eventually gave them to a friend.

I have platform pedals and toe clips on all my bikes now. I like to ride in regular shoes and hate hunting down a special pair of shoes just to ride my bike. I think the efficiency of clipless pedals is way overrated.

lewisnoble

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 11:12:14 pm »
Very useful observations - kep them coming!!

Lewis

lewisnoble

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 11:12:48 pm »
Keep, not kep . . . .

pdamm

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 05:52:54 am »
Imho to be safe in SPD’s – or really any pedals that constrain your foot in any way – including toe clips, the action of removing your foot from the pedal needs to be very quick.  It is not something you can afford to spend time thinking about, as you and your bike start toppling over….

It took me a while to get used to toe clips when I got back into cycling 10 years ago.  I had a couple of falls trying to get out of my pedals back then.  About three years ago I swapped over to SPD’s and had a couple of falls before I got used to them.  

Getting used to them for me was really a matter of having unclipped so many times that the action became “instinctive”, and hence fast and I felt confident I could get out of my pedals quickly even when I was exhausted, distracted, the bike hit something unexpected (eg a sand patch) and I was falling off.

Looking back on it I should have spent some time sitting on the bike while stationary and really practiced the action of unclipping until it was automatic.  It seems to take a bit longer for a new action to become “instinctive” these days than it did 20 odd years ago….

I like my SPD’s now and feel naked riding without them.  

My better half wouldn’t go near SPD’s and rides with the kind of toe clips that don’t have straps.  I have ridden her bike a few times and don’t mind them at all.  I felt I could get a decent pull on the upstroke and felt free to get out of the pedals at any time.  I would be quite happy touring with them but if I wanted to squeeze those extra few seconds out of a ride I would definitely go with something that really held my foot to the pedal.  Then again if speed was really important to me I’d be riding some feather weight wispy thing that couldn’t take a pannier or a bump in the road instead of my sturdy reliable Raven Tour.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 08:58:57 am »
If I were given a bike tomorrow the very first upgrade I would make would be to get a pair of SPD.  Why? Well for me, I feel safer and more confident riding SPD than I do with toe clips or platforms.  When I made the transition from toe clip I, like most others, took a few fall (at zero speed).  It was entirely worth the dent to my pride though.  

There are times when I would forgo SPDs.  I don't have SPDs on my Town basher (I have clips) SPD shout I am expensive!  I also wouldn’t use SPDs on a world tour - one more thing to go wrong.

I have used both single sided (with platform) and double sided SPDs.  Double sided are my favourites for commuting and day rides.  On tour however I would rate them about the same.

Good luck and if you do make the switch I hope you don’t have too many falls.

graham

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 08:12:05 pm »
I personally think SPD's are easier to get out of if you use a slight downward pressure as you slide your heel sideways. So in a panic when you're just trying to rip your foot out - that's when they'll try and hold you.
I have never actually fallen with SPD's, but tend to only unclip the left side and once or twice the bike's tried to go the other way. Even then, I've been strong enough to overpower the cleat and get my right leg out and on the ground before I've fallen right over.
We both use double sided SPD's on the tandem (M540's) and single sided on the solos (M324's). Because we sometimes ride the solos in normal shoes. (Well, I commute in safety boots and haven't found SPD safety shoes for sale yet).

freddered

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 10:30:12 pm »
Wind the spring tension to its minimum setting and your foot should twist out with almost no effort.  If you have to really force them out you may have a fault.

I have left mine at minimum setting for years, you can still pull up hard and your cleat won't come out.

PH

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 09:19:03 am »
quote:
Originally posted by graham

So in a panic when you're just trying to rip your foot out - that's when they'll try and hold you.

This is the advantage of the multi release cleats, you will pull your foot out in that situation.

bukidnon

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 03:16:11 pm »
The new, replacement SPDs on my mountain bike are very easy to get in and out of.  It seems that the action has improved since I first bought SPDs almost a decade ago.  Also, my new shoes, with stiff soles make things even better.  It's all comfortable and effective.

Only two falls!  You're not trying hard enough.

One downside with SPDs is the bit of metal beneath the shoe.  I always end up taking spare shoes (currently Inov-8) for walking round in when touring.  In the old days, with toe traps, I used to be able to cycle in normal hiking boots.  Now, that did make quick dismounts difficult.