Author Topic: Free Parable Monkii Cage Review  (Read 3115 times)

in4

Free Parable Monkii Cage Review
« on: August 31, 2016, 08:51:09 am »
http://road.cc/content/review/131092-free-parable-design-monkii-cage

Has anyone any experience of using one of these cages? I was looking for a cage that would take a large water bottle (9cm) diameter and be robust enough for a tour and came across this option.
There are a few variations re how the cage attaches to your bottle bosses but I thought the V cage option seems the best for touring, particularly so if you are off road.

leftpoole

Re: Free Parable Monkii Cage Review
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:13:21 am »
Hello,
I have one on both bikes and it all works very well indeed.
So, spend and enjoy!
Regards,
John

in4

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 11:42:58 am »
Thanks John, appreciated. I bought some fabulous stainless steel water bottles a while a go and have been on the look out for a suitable cage. Spend alert! :)

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 01:45:28 pm »
I've been using a Monkii cage for about three years now, very good product, only possible downside is it's not as easy to drink on the move as a regular bottle cage as fitting the bottle/monkii combination back onto the 'cleats' requires a bit more precision than just shoving a bottle back into a cage. The Monkii cage holds the bottle quite firmly so taking the bottle out of the cage on the move the way you would with a regular bottle cage doesn't really work.
I've also got the larger Gorilla Cage which I used to carry my Thermarest on a lightweight tour in the spring, also a good product.
Good service from Cyclemiles too.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 04:41:43 pm »
I instead looked for large bottles that would fit in standard cages.  In USA, Smartwater is a brand of bottled water with disposable bottles, the 1 liter bottles fit nicely in standard cages.  I think Smartwater is in the Coca Cola collection of corporate products.  I use different bottle caps that have a flip top instead of the screw on lids.

I normally use smaller bottles for around home use but I started to use the SmartWater ones for touring because of the large size.

In the photo from my Iceland trip I used a velcro strap for the under-downtube bottle to make sure it stays there, otherwise they sit in a standard cage nicely and do not need an extra strap.

Dave B

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 10:03:58 pm »
For my Nomad Mkii I have fitted two BBB water bottle cages .These have the benefit of allowing the user to carry 1.5 litre universal drinks bottles . They are adjustable and relatively inexpensive.  Purchased mine via Y Frames. The only downside is you can't drink on the go. Highly recommended for long trips.