Author Topic: Is tubeless ready to roll?  (Read 15107 times)

Pavel

Re: Is tubeless ready to roll?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 05:55:28 pm »
I should have investigated before posting.  It seems that the tubeless sealants also stay in a liquid state.  (http://www.slime.com/us/products/bike/sealants/tubeless-sealant.php).  So what is the difference between Tube sealant and Tubeless sealant. Anyone?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 07:08:40 pm »
Hi Pavel!

I really do hope you'll try going tubeless. It would be nice to get a first-hand report from you on how it works and how you like it. Very useful for all to follow. Especially having played with a homegrown version, I'd be especially interested to hear how a commercial version does in your hands.

All the best,

Dan.

Bill C

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 08:00:06 pm »

I also feel that it is not a solution looking for a problem.  Some changes are/were, such as Ahead Stems, the long ago now removal of brazed fittings for derailleurs (anyone else remember that bit of progress?) and 11 gears at the back completely killing 10 speed or 14 speed setups.

Hi Pavel can i borrow your rose tinted glasses please?

ahead stems hardly rocket science or much on an improvement over quills, some numpty always cuts the steerer to short and the next owner needs a steerer extender, and the best steerer extenders are internal quill ones lol

long ago removal of braze on dérailleur  fittings? front or rear? seen both on very modern bikes

14 gears your bitching about 14 gears lmao bet you have a Rohloff with it's 11/34 and 22/36 gear range

still fools and their money are soon parted by the next big thing/new tech/extra gears with less range/tubeless tyres  lol

atb Bill

Pavel

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 08:03:45 pm »
It's about the fifth thing on my minor itch list, Dan.  It will be a while but I do hope to get around to it after the proper time of obsessive reading.  :)

First on my list is a tour of some sort.  I'm going on a shake down motorcycle tour tomorrow for a few days in the mountains of NC.  Strangely a motorcycle can be far more difficult to pack up and organise than a bicycle.  There is less volume and I guess I'm more versed in bike packing.  So my first choice, to be made this year is what sort of two wheeled journeying is ahead of me. Before I can do that I need to take a long trip on this motorcycle of Bianca's and ten do do at least a long trip or two by bicycle again. I have to find how my health has impacted my vistas.

But somehow I hope the bicycle wins. I don't know why.  More involving?  More personal satisfaction?  More pain? :D
Wrenching a motorcycle is so much more a pain, and so much more costly. But with the right motorcycle I can achieve what I think I'm looking for most.  A slow meander to see the land, here in America, at low cost and with much relaxation and Zen.

So ... in summation ... perhaps it should be you ... the more rigorous and scientific tester. :)  Anyone else nominate Dan to do the right "Thorn" thing?  Do I hear any "eyes"  ;) (and how come SJS is not sponsoring you yet?  Seriously!)

Pavel

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 08:07:09 pm »

I also feel that it is not a solution looking for a problem.  Some changes are/were, such as Ahead Stems, the long ago now removal of brazed fittings for derailleurs (anyone else remember that bit of progress?) and 11 gears at the back completely killing 10 speed or 14 speed setups.

Hi Pavel can i borrow your rose tinted glasses please?

ahead stems hardly rocket science or much on an improvement over quills, some numpty always cuts the steerer to short and the next owner needs a steerer extender, and the best steerer extenders are internal quill ones lol

long ago removal of braze on dérailleur  fittings? front or rear? seen both on very modern bikes

14 gears your bitching about 14 gears lmao bet you have a Rohloff with it's 11/34 and 22/36 gear range

still fools and their money are soon parted by the next big thing/new tech/extra gears with less range/tubeless tyres  lol

atb Bill

I hear ya.  And I agree with your line of thinking at the same time as with the very opposite way, at the same time.
I all earnestness, my Rose tinted glasses, of which I've several pairs - have been priceless.  They have infused my life with a silly optimism, reality be damned, that has been the gravy of my recent years.  And we don't get to take the money with us, if reports are right.  :)

mickeg

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2016, 09:15:35 pm »
...So what is the difference between Tube sealant and Tubeless sealant. Anyone?

It is the size of the particles in the sealant.  I pasted the following from this link:  http://www.slime.com/us/faq.php

Can I use Slime Tire Sealant in a tire with an inner tube?
This formula has large particles that may not seal smaller punctures that occur on an inner tube. We do not recommend or guarantee performance of the product in this application.

Can I use Slime Tube Sealant in a Tubeless Tire?
No. This formula does not contain the rust and corrosion inhibitors necessary to protect a wheel. We do not recommend or guarantee performance of the product in this application.

I have not used Stans, thus have no knowledge of how that works, I have only used Slime brand. 

A friend of mine told me that tubes with Slime in them are very hard to get a tube patch to stick, he prefers Stans for that reason. 

I bought Slime because it is aqueous based, water can be used for cleanup.  And I have not read of any clumping problems.  Apparently Stans can clump according to comments I have seen on other forums.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 09:19:22 pm »
So ... in summation ... perhaps it should be you ... the more rigorous and scientific tester. :)  Anyone else nominate Dan to do the right "Thorn" thing?  Do I hear any "eyes"
I'd be only too happy to do the test if someone foots the bill.
(and how come SJS is not sponsoring you yet?  Seriously!)
I don't know, but wish they would!  :D

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:23:27 am by Danneaux »

Bill C

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2016, 11:50:19 pm »
some interesting reading material here
no set standard seems to exist and according to this you need to stay with one tubeless system

part one  http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/01/14/why-isnt-road-tubeless-popular-part-1-how-did-we-get-here/

part two http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/01/29/why-isnt-road-tubeless-more-popular-part-two-current-options-challenges-whats-coming-down-the-road/

like i said earlier it just seemed to much hassle, i'll say one thing though getting continental contacts 26/1.75 on and off Bontrager racelite rims was a bitch of a job, broke two tyre levers and got stranded miles from home and had to walk to the LBS and get them to fix it, felt a right fool  >:(
I bought steel tyre levers and it was still hard work, the rims not having the deep well of standard rims makes tyre fitting a pain of a job, well on both sports contacts and travel contacts that i used on the wheels

revelo

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2016, 04:37:23 am »
Tubeless is essential in heavily infested goathead territory and is useful everywhere for DAY-RIDERS on fat-tire bicycles (MTBs and touring bikes with wide tires). If you are long-distance touring in remote desert areas, like me, it is a different story, because you will likely be carrying a tiny pump, and even if you are carrying a large primary pump, your spare pump (you are carrying a spare pump, i hope, if you go in remote areas) will be tiny.

[Post edited by Admin. to remove potentially libelous statement about one brand of sealant, made in violation of Thorn Forum Guidelines, posted here: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=26.msg6285#msg6285 -- Dan, Thorn Cycling Forum Administrator]

I once experienced a huge puncture with Stans which sprayed the sealant all over the inside of the rim. Washed off easily with a few squirts from my water bottle. I also experienced a tube of Stans leaking at the bottom of my pannier (I now store in the saddle bag). More of a problem to wash off, since it had dried by the time I noticed it, but no major problem. So forget this idea that sealants create a big mess.

Sealants do dry up after a few months, but the dry residue weighs like 5 grams. Not enough to unbalance the tire.

Dan's description of the process involved with prepping a rim for tubeless are needlessly complicated. Get the proper prep kit from Stans, along with the proper and much simpler instructions at Stans website.

Tire liners are a very dumb idea. Heavier than sealant, they WILL eventually destroy your inner tubes, a nuisance to install. Worst of all, they do NOT fully protect from goatheads. Rather, they convert easy to find punctures into slow leaks that are impossible to find without a bucket of water to dunk the inner tube in and look for bubbles. And who has a bucket of water when touring in the middle of nowhere? People who say tire liners saved them from punctures are like people living in London, let's say, who insist that their magic talisman has saved them from being run over by herds of stampeding elephants. Correlation does not prove causation. Punctures are rare if you are using good tires (better Schwalbe tires already contain a kelvar tire liner) and avoid problemmatic areas (infested with goatheads, which are only present in disturbed ground, littered with broken glass and pieces of tiny wire from disintegrated truck tires, etc).

I have a webpage on the subject of protection from goatheads, which also addresses sealants and tubeless and similar topics in more details, including photos: http://www.frankrevelo.com/hiking/biking_flatprevention.htm.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 08:26:21 am by Danneaux »