Author Topic: North Carolina Riders resource  (Read 2303 times)

Pavel

North Carolina Riders resource
« on: August 13, 2016, 08:52:12 pm »
Though not a bike ride I'm firmly planning I really like this resource for North Carolina bicycle trails.  It helps plan rides, and I think, show how North Carolina is a state with a very good, well thought out bicycling infrastructure.   

http://ncbikeways.com/map/

I don't know if there are riders in southern Virginia or northern South Carolina, or of course that rare as a pileated woodpecker North Carolina Thorn aficionado.  Are there any?

I've got a long motorcycle tour planned in a few weeks and depending on which version of it I take, if I come back in time I'm thinking of making it a kind of project to do several of these North Carolina routes.  We followed along a bit on route 4 years ago and it was a nice as any of the Trans-America route - well if the eastern seaboard Geography is your kind of thing.  Hope someone finds this useful. :)

Pavel

Re: North Carolina Riders resource
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 04:40:02 pm »
Well, I've come back from a six day motorcycling trip where I used to routes above and followed what is marked as Route 4 on the North Carolina bike trails.  Magical!  The only downside is that I saw not one single biker. Is everyone after cross country glory? Hope not.  Like speeding through a trip, or life itself, there is much to be enjoyed on the shorter, closer to home rides.  Now I find myself wanting to somehow join and participate closer to home and help out somehow, getting the word out about these marvelous bike ways.  But how? Hmmm.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: North Carolina Riders resource
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 04:54:41 pm »
Here in Oregon (USA), there have been successful ride-boosting efforts made through state and local tourism boards. Encouraging bike touring has resulted in economic benefit; once this connection is made clear (i.e. bike tourists spend dollars that boost local and regional economies), then everyone wants on board.

Just one way to boost visibility of more local scenic touring routes.

Best,

Dan.