Author Topic: Brooks tension pin  (Read 6090 times)

Bill C

Brooks tension pin
« on: August 10, 2016, 09:25:33 pm »
anyone replaced a tension pin in a Brooks Flyer special?
saddle suddenly started squeaking a lot and seemed a bit  limp, took it off and the tension bolt has snapped just at the start of the threaded portion, not even three years old yet ,
 i see sjs have them in stock
any tips or tricks worth knowing replacing it or is it just straight forward?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Brooks tension pin
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 10:55:29 pm »
Hi Bill,

I've replaced a number of Brooks saddle covers on new powdercoated rails when the old (chrome) rails broke. This meant re-riveting, something you won't have to do to simply replace the tension bolt.

Mine were all on B.17s rather than Flyers, but I don't see that making much difference.

To replace the pin, you'll need the saddle off the bike and free of the seatpost and clamp. I prefer to invert the saddle and place the cover on a soft towel to prevent marring the leather cover.

Where the old pin snapped, you're halfway there; the cover and nosepiece should slide free of the remaining bolt end with no problem. DON'T PRY ON THE LEATHER! You may need to ease the steel nosepiece gently over the tension bolt end using a broad, straight-tipped (slotted) screwdriver. I use a small titanium pry bar, but the screwdriver will work. Be sure to note where the nut is on the remaining tension bolt shaft. This will be your reference for indexing the tension on the new bolt.

To replace it, you'll need the nose free of the old bolt end,so remove what's left of the end , the nut, and the shaft. Insert the tension bolt fully in the rails, the nut screwed all the way forward to minimize tension. Lower the rails into the inverted cover so the tension bolt end is on the cusp of the nosepiece.

With the bolt threaded in all the way and no tension on the cover, it should be fairly easy to sort of >>pop!<< the edge of the metal nosepiece over the bolt shoulder. Once again, DON'T PRY ON THE LEATHER! There is a sort of knack to it, but it is something that really only becomes obvious when you are prying. I can say it takes surprisingly little effort once you get it right.

Once the parts are mated, then simply retension to prior levels and you're done.

Yeah, I'd call it a pretty straightforward operation. With practice, I found bolt swaps/installations could be easily done in less than a minute.

All the best,

Dan.

Bill C

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 11:16:25 pm »
Hi Dan
thanks for the reply, i just put in an order for the new pin, i'll try and take some pics as i do it
thought about getting in contact with Brooks and getting them to repair it but might as well have a go myself, you reckon it being doable helped  ;)
also ordered up one of the Thorn Stainless Steel Sliding Dynamo Boss for Thorn Forks with Boss Type 3 / L-Shape X-Long hopefully it's the right one to fit a Nordlicht dynamo to the new xTc build

atb Bill

Bill C

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 04:05:12 pm »
Super fast service from sjs  :)
fitted the new pin and re-tensioned the saddle
took about 30 mins of huffing and puffing using a large screwdriver with no joy
finally used two cable ties, one to hold the top and bottom of frame together another i threaded over the lower rails and the tension pin, once i'd done that and everything was captive, i used a dessert spoon handle as a lever and it just popped in, took a gentle tap with a rubber mallet to seat the head of the tension pin in it's hole in the nose piece,
definitely a knack to it but easy once you suss it

as an aside i used the velo orange saddle yesterday, last time i tried it on the Marin it was uncomfortably hard and really squeaky, on the xtc it's fine with no squeaks, lower bars and sportier riding position seem to suit it, it's still hard but just needs breaking in

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 04:32:37 pm »
...definitely a knack to it but easy once you suss it...
Yes!  ;) Very hard to describe, but very quick and easy once it all comes together. It is a sort of pry-slide movement.

So glad you were successful, Bill; well done.

Best,

Dan.

Bill C

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 04:54:54 pm »
should of thanked you in my message Dan,
i read your earlier reply a few times, the titanium pry bar you mentioned set me on the spoon handle route
doubt i'd of got there with out it as the screwdriver really wasn't doing it for me
i did look on google as well but most seemed to think it was a job for Brooks  ::)
can't express how happy i am that the saddle will live again, haven't worn padded shorts in years so didn't want to break in a new saddle and this ones much loved by a certain part of my anatomy

atb Bill