Author Topic: Latest Thorn in my collection (Audax 853)  (Read 3982 times)

Neil Jones

Latest Thorn in my collection (Audax 853)
« on: August 01, 2016, 02:57:04 pm »
Thought I'd post a photo of the Audax that I bought off Jags a while ago.

I've made a few modifications to it, mainly customising the fit which is absolutely perfect. I swapped to a shorter stem, utilised a carbon seat post that I had lying about, put my favourite saddle on (Brooks Team Pro Titanium railed) and some Shimano A600 clipless pedals which I like and have on all my bikes. I also changed the callipers to Shimano Deep Drops as I had planned on using a rear rack as the Tektro ones obscure the fitting to the frame although I decided that I would prefer a saddlebag so opted for a Carradice Bagman Sport QR to hold the Barley.

I'd like to buy some lighter wheels at some point, any recommendations would be welcome.

Cheers,
Neil

Matt2matt2002

Re: Latest Thorn in my collection (Audax 853)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 06:50:16 pm »
One if the best looking bikes I've seen.
If it goes half as good as it looks, you've got a cracker there.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

martinf

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 07:37:14 pm »
I'd like to buy some lighter wheels at some point, any recommendations would be welcome.

For acceleration on a lightweight bike I reckon its the rims and tyres that make the most difference, hubs are less important.

I've been using 28 spoke Mavic Open Pro rims on my lightweight for a few years, no problems yet. Current tyres are Schwalbe One (700c x 28), with lightweight latex inner tubes.

Bike is used with saddlebag only, so max load about 5 Kg. Rider about 83 Kg. And I only use it on (relatively) good road surfaces.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 10:46:00 pm »
Neil,

What a gorgeous machine! You have truly taken it to "the next level" and "stunning" is inadequate to describe it.

A pleasure to see and share in even from afar. I'd offer suggestions, but it looks fantastic as-is. Well done!

As for wheels, a company called Rolf Prima is located here in Eugene. They long ago pioneered wheels with very stiff rims , very low spoke counts, and very high, even spoke tension. They are not suitable for my needs (and they are expensive), but they are well regarded. Their online "wheel advisor" applet might help in focusing on where to go next with your wheels. Certainly, there are many wheels available that work as well or possibly better for most people's needs; I prefer to build my own. Not an endorsement, just a link for the curious (I have no interest in the firm): http://www.rolfprima.com/

All the best,

Dan.

Neil Jones

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 07:39:58 am »
Thank you for your very kind words, I really appreciate it.

It feels a fair bit quicker than both my RT and RST although my average speed isn't significantly quicker. It is definitely more responsive, especially on climbs.

I had a look at the Rolf Prima website Dan, they certainly make some cracking wheels although I'm afraid they are a bit out of my budget, especially with the dollar exchange rate as it is at moment.

Open Pro's seem very popular so that is an option, possibly with a Hope rear hub and I will probably go for a dynohub up front. I have had SJSC build me a few wheels in the past and they have always been excellent.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Neil

sweats

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:37:46 pm »
Lovely looking bike.  :)

AndyE

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 10:03:09 pm »
The audax does look better in the old two tone livery. A great shame it is not still an option. Not at all jealous ;).

Enjoy

Andy   
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Pavel

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 10:43:20 pm »
That is exactly what I was thinking.  Gorgeous paint! It's a shame it is no longer available.

jags

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 11:36:28 pm »
Wow u have her looking very well Neil fair play to you.
i can't wait to get this new Audax  man i sure hope i'm not in for a shock with the  matt black finish .

as you know i love bike to gleam i'm a bit of a magpie. ;D ;D
anyway Neil enjoy every pedal stroke .
oh the open pro rims  on  105 hubs and conti gator 25 skins are only class this is what im riding on the Dolan  strong fast look great.
when ever i get the audax on the road i'll just pop a 28mm tyre on the rear .

jags