Author Topic: A handlebars question ...  (Read 4772 times)

Raven_Roller

A handlebars question ...
« on: July 29, 2016, 12:17:09 pm »
Hello chaps, at present I have a Raven with Thorns standard "comfort" handlebars.

I am considering to purchase:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/600-humpert-boomerang-handlebars-254mm-clamp-black/

I (not being a super knowledgable bike person) am assuming I can just take all the bits (ergons, rohloff shifter, deore brakes) off the Comfort and put onto the Boomerang...and there should not be a problem.  Is my assumption correct?

Thanks all.

Matt2matt2002

Re: A handlebars question ...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 05:02:01 pm »
Nice looking  bars.

When I changed from a Hubert set to Thorn comfort bars I found my shifter had fused tight onto the bars.
No amount of oil or hammer could get it off.
I finished up cutting the shift off and buying a new one.
A good example if a simple job morphing into a nightmare.

Apart from the shape change what is the advantage of a second ' across' bar?

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

julk

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 06:50:02 pm »
RR,
the Hubert bars published straight grip length at 165mm is shorter than the comfort bar grip length of 190mm.
Just make sure that 165mm is long enough to take the bits you want to clamp on there.

On my comforts the gear changer and right grip take 170mm and that is with the grip cut down to 110mm in length (long enough for my right hand), the brake lever takes the other 20mm.

Where are you planning to mount the grips, gear changer and brake levers?
Julian

Raven_Roller

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 10:18:37 am »
the Hubert bars published straight grip length at 165mm is shorter than the comfort bar grip length of 190mm.
Just make sure that 165mm is long enough to take the bits you want to clamp on there.

That's something I would not have thought about.  Will get the measuring tape out!
Thank you Julian.

Raven_Roller

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 10:20:25 am »
Apart from the shape change what is the advantage of a second ' across' bar?

IMO they look nice. 

Quite often I end up cycling in a "aero-like" position, with just my elbows on the handlebars.  Having that double bar, would make it a little more comfortable (maybe)...
I don't want to put on full aero bars :D

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 07:25:19 pm »
The advantage is more space to mount gear like a bike computer, a GPS, an inclinometer, heart rate monitor, fascia for the motor control when you fit one, even something which requires as little linear space as a circumrotary twist-bell or Cateye's little normal-appearing bell which requires only about 10mm to mount because it stands enough proud of the bar to allow for other controls to be mounted under it..

Measure carefully. Julian makes an excellent point. When I first went over to North Road bars, I though, Ooh, lots of straight space for grips and switches before the bend: who could possibly want more? A couple of years later I needed much more. Now I can't remember a year in which I required less handlebar space than the year before, and most of the additions require to be close enough to operate without removing my hands from the grips.

onmybike

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 11:47:56 am »
Note the centre front part of the Boomerang bars is oval, not round - that may affect the mounting of some accessories.

Raven_Roller

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 10:46:36 pm »
Well chaps, it's 6 months later...

I found a cheap pair of Humpert Boomerangs on eBay and took the opportunity to buy them.  With some faffing about I managed to swap from Thorn Comfort to the Boomerangs.

Problems:
1.  Rohloff Grip Twister is held on by what looks like Torx screws.  Make sure you have a suitable torx screwdriver set!
2.  Boomerang is much less wide in the part where you place the twister and grip.  I had to cut down a grip by a good 2.5 cms.
3.  As noted by "onmybike", Boomerang front bar is oval(ish) so it's useless for extras such as front light.

I am pleased with how it's turned out, as the more laidback position of the Boomerang suits my riding style.  If I could find something  Boomerang-a-like that is slightly wider (let's say an extra 2 cm each end) and has a circular rather than oval profile...I'd be a lot happier.

Humpert designers really made a Boo-boo in my opinion with the oval profile.  That really sucks.

Hope this info helps, and thank you all for your advice six months ago!

David Simpson

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 11:05:31 pm »
If I could find something  Boomerang-a-like that is slightly wider (let's say an extra 2 cm each end) and has a circular rather than oval profile...I'd be a lot happier.

The Boomerang bar looks similar to the Jones H-Bar.
    http://www.jonesbikes.com/h-bar/

The Jones H-Bar is 710mm wide with a generous amount of room for the grips, brakes, shifters, etc.
[Edit: Hmmm... after comparing the photos of the Boomerang bar with the H-Bar, they don't look that different. I'll need to measure my H-Bar tonight when I get home.]

I have one, and had it mounted on my Nomad for a while. I found the style was too laid-back for my commuting, so I switched to a Thorn Flat Track bar. I am hoping to build up a second bike for more casual riding, and I'll use the Jones bar on that bike.

- DaveS

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:11:25 pm by David Simpson »

Raven_Roller

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 10:03:34 am »
That would be great David thanks.

I've just measured my Boomerang;

Width 620mm (center to center)
Grip space:  168mm

This I think is substantially smaller than the H-Bar. 

David Simpson

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 02:56:14 pm »
Here are the measurements for my Jones H-Bar:

Grip space: 187mm. There is quite a large amount of weld material where the two bars are joined (perhaps 4-5mm), and I measured up to the weld material -- the actual usable space.

Width (center to center): 665mm

The tubing is round.

My bar is a few years old, and it seems that they have a newer version out which may be wider.

- DaveS

energyman

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 03:10:25 pm »
I bought some a few years ago but after fitting them & riding for a couple of months I changed back to the Thorn Comforts.
I think it was something about getting them through cycle path gates etc that made me change back.