Author Topic: Rohloff shifter is worn out  (Read 3411 times)

crazytraveler

• The Crazy Travel
Rohloff shifter is worn out
« on: July 27, 2016, 08:47:42 am »
Hello there,

We bought our bikes on 2013 and we have cycled with them 22.000Km.

I haven't used the bicycles for a while, and I was preparing them now to continue our tour, it was time to change the oil of our Rohloff and when I was shifting around the gears I realised that the shifter was totally worn out, it was even sticky (it is hot here in China).

What can I do about it? Would this be covered by Rohloff warranty? Anybody else has had similar problems?

Cheers!
Cycling around the world on a Thorn Nomad!
http://en.thecrazytravel.com/

crazytraveler

• The Crazy Travel
Re: Rohloff shifter is worn out
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 08:58:24 am »
I found online it can be bought just the rubber grip, can I just fit this one in my shifter?

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 09:29:42 am »
Yes you just need a replacement rubber part, its not covered by warranty as its classed as a consumable, its just worn out.

crazytraveler

• The Crazy Travel
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 09:31:48 am »
Thanks. Is that rubber part from the photo the one I need, or there are different models from different years?

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 03:28:09 pm »
Interested that you mention a worn out grip.

While cycling this month in Sri Lanka - very hot there as well - there were several times when the grip slipped from my grasp due to the sweat on my hands.
I usually wear gloves but without them there were several times when being unable to change gear caused some very awkward moments.
I had thought of raising the issue with Thorn.
A more pronounced ridge - ing might help.

My grip is the new type with a little Raven as a guide for the gear setting - and is no more than a year old.

matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 04:17:28 pm »
I have no clue if a comparable product is available where you folks are, but there is a product available in USA called Shoe Goo.
https://www.amazon.com/Shoegoo-Shoe-Goo-Clear/dp/B01HMYHY7I
It also is available in black, which I have not seen in stores.

I put a bead of it on my shifter to help me get better grip when my hands were sweaty and I was not wearing gloves.  See photo.  I planned to put three beads on, like a triangle, but decided after one that one was enough.  I think it was about 3 or 4 layers to get the thickness I wanted because it is not very viscous.

After I did it, I realized that I had put the bead on so that the bead was on top when I was in gear 11, which I liked because by feel I could tell approximately what gear I was in.

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 04:48:47 pm »
Y'all have such fancy rotary thingumajigs, with gear numbers yet!

I have the old-fashioned first series Rohloff rotary control, with black on black invisible numbers and a triangular control knob, well shaped and ridged for gripping with the smooth leather dress gloves I normally wear (I cycle in my normal wear, khakis or cords according to season). I think that when mine needs replacement, I'll get another one of the triangular ones rather than the new round ones. Not being able to see in which gear I am is not much of a hardship. I find gear 11 by going up to 14, whoosh, and switching three back, clickclickclick, and 8 by switching another three down from there, which is convenient enough, if not very racy in they eyes of the peloton.

I used to have white spots of Tippex on the control at gears 11 and 8 but didn't bother to replace them when they wore off. I'd come to the conclusion that all the gears in the Rohloff box are efficient enough, so that an effort to be in the "most efficient gear" (11) is obsessive, especially once your box has quitened down after the first 5000 miles.

On a Rohloff box, unlike a derailleur, it doesn't really matter which gear you are in because if you need another gear, you just twirl the knob until you reach the gear you want.

I wonder if the rubber parts, triangular and round, are interchangeable between the earlier and later setups. Though I'm not sure I would recommend the triangular grip to a long-distance tourer, because it is clearly less ergonomic to ride all day with your hand on a triangular grip than on a round one. But for a utility or daytrip bike, the triangular grip is definitely preferable.

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 05:45:34 pm »
you just need a replacement rubber part

Echoing Dave's observation:  I bought the new "wave" shifter grip, the one in the photo, and it exchanges with the old, worn-out one.  I found the "wave" shifter easier to grip, though I was a bit sceptical at first; hence, it felt as if shifting was easier ... that may have been my imagination, though.

Mickeg's advice on Shoe-Goo seems sound, as well.  Countries where I've lived with sporting cultures usually have something similar, if not the exact item.  Automotive-supply stores can also be a source of similar products.

crazytraveler

• The Crazy Travel
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 01:35:57 am »
Thanks for the replies, I guess I will try to get my hands in one of those. I just made an order to a friend's place in Europe for other stuff, who is going to send it to me, if I only had realised about this in time... Now I have to pay 2 deliveries... Ouch!

crazytraveler

• The Crazy Travel
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 07:18:16 am »
I found a shop which sells the rubber grip here in China, so it is sorted. ;)