Author Topic: Norway (and Morocco/South America)  (Read 3380 times)

jzdparis

Norway (and Morocco/South America)
« on: July 14, 2016, 05:11:46 am »
I have just had a very enjoyable 6 week ride in Norway on my (new!!!) Raven, so I will post the link to my blog here in case anyone is planning a tour to Norway themselves.  I have included a section of "tips" so I hope others will find it useful.

https://joyfullyriding.wordpress.com

Here is a link for some Kiws doing some very interesting touring (not on Thorns sorry)

https://suensimoncycle.wordpress.com

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Norway (and Morocco/South America)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 06:10:09 am »
What a wonderful adventure, told well in both photos and text. Thanks so much for sharing it, and thanks so much for the performance data on a Thorn Step-Through frame. We don't see many on the Forum, so I'm hoping you might favor us with some gallery shots of it.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 12:55:37 am »
Great report and colorful, meaninful photos! I too liked the national costume shots. Watching the watchers, indeed.

+1 for favouring us with gallery shots of the Thorn low stopover bike.

Bill C

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 10:59:01 pm »
i meant to read about Norway but saw you have been down to Devon so got side tracked  ::)

" Somerset and Devon are a gorgeous part of England but OMG there are some steep hills!
Just as well the surroundings are so beautiful because this is hard work
The worst was a 6 mile slog up out of Tiverton – I certainly slept well that night! "

I'm glad you noticed the hills i bang on about them but everyone seems to think I'm exaggerating  ;) still they get you fit!

Pavel

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 05:52:25 pm »
A timely post. Just a few days ago I was daydreaming trying to decide where, really, I would like to cycle if given three wishes by a short man in green.  One needs beer, to connect with the inner cyclist within. After the proper dose, I sort of surprised myself by thinking that I'd answer the Leprechaun 1) Croatia (the beauty of the place and history) 2) Mongolia (desolation, windswept grass and Food!) 3) Norway ( have no idea why? Norway, what's in Norway? Do they have good beer? This needs research!)

Now your blog appears. Must get busy reading! The leprechaun should be here any day.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 06:07:42 pm »
1) Croatia (the beauty of the place and history)...
Croatia is surely pretty and I enjoyed my time there. Do be aware that a number of mines are still placed near the Eurovelo 6 route and are still very much active and hazardous. A number were displaced from their cataloged locations by massive flooding just before the start of my 2014 tour, and I saw a number washed onto the road surface -- they looked like box turtles -- and stacked in fields by disposal troops. For this reason I did not wander off-road and I chose my camping places carefully (i.e. a farmer's brick-lined hay crib).

With reasonable care, I had no problems. It is indeed pretty, and I saw much of it during one 200km day as I passed through.

Western Croatia has no worries in this regard.

Best,

Dan.

Pavel

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 07:38:28 pm »
Yes, I was aware of the mines but upon reflecting on it now that you have reminded me - it could actually change my desire to go there. I really enjoy the stealth camping. It helps with my costs, but in truth I think it is the camping that is the deepest reason for travel, for me.
I have a good friend enjoying his second trip to Croatia this week. He travels in style and I certainly envy him - the bastard. :D

Reading the jzdparis's blog I was surprised that Norway is more expensive than Sweden.  Is Finland also expensive and rainy? It is a very nicely laid out blog - good work there. I hope to see more updates on future trips.