Author Topic: Sri Lanka  (Read 7501 times)

Pavel

Re: Sri Lanka
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 06:06:14 pm »
I'm curious about your trip, and also your Tajikstan trip experience.  Can you post your crazyguy link when you have it finished? I also appreciate the breakdown of prices as that would be a major factor in my decision process were I to actually get out of Merika to tour. Prices, food and desolation and lack of rain are pretty much what makes a country appealing to me, though I make compromises if the beer is excellent.

Thanks for shining the light on such an exotic destination. :)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 11:05:50 pm »
I budgeted for £25/ day in Sri Lanka.
Guesthouses were around £13 and it was hard to spend more than £7/ day on food so I was invariably well within £25.

I remember thiikng that my expenses were half that in Tajikistan.

Remoteness? Go for the Pamir Highway.

I'm away from home at the moment but will pm you with  more financial details next week.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 07:04:16 pm »
At last I am starting to write up my journal on crazyguy.

These are best done on the road but for one reason or another - I am now going by the notes I made at the time.
Plenty of stats but of course what brings journals alive are the personal encounters with local folk and the sights n smells n sounds. Hard to recall these in detail after a month back home.

I really must make more effort next time.

Here is a link to the journal.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/welcometothejungle
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Pavel

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 04:43:14 pm »
I wonder if a Journal style approach to this one board would work here?  It would be more of a draw and showcase that way.  I like the crazyguy forum and appreciate it's unique approach but it is too diverse and crowded. The opposite problem as here.  Would a forum structure change in the "cycle Tours" be possible?  Would it be desired?  I wonder. It's a shame to have to go elsewhere to feast on details.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 04:51:51 pm »
Would a forum structure change in the "cycle Tours" be possible?
It would indeed be possible, and people have posted narrations and updates to their ongoing tours in journal form.

One "problem" with posting here in journal format is the replies will go inline with the posts such that catching each updated post by a traveler necessitates wading through the replies and comments between updates.

At present, the Forum software does not allow a poster to block additional responses ("lock" a topic, then unlock it themselves to make posts). That is solely an administrator "power".

For better or worse, CGOAB does offer different software geared specifically toward journaling with comments. separated from narrative entries. Also, CGOAB does have a larger and more diverse readership than does the Thorn Cycling Forum, so posts made there have a wider audience at present.

Best,

Dan.
Danneaux Thorn Cycling Forum Administrator