Author Topic: Sri Lanka  (Read 7520 times)

Matt2matt2002

Sri Lanka
« on: June 30, 2016, 01:12:41 pm »
Hello folks, from sunny Sri Lanka.
First and second impressions very positive.

Leaving aside my damage forks 😞
In no particular order....
Good roads kept clean n tidy.
Friendly folk always ready with a smile n wave.
Food is fine. Plenty of fruit n veg, plus lots of fish.
Scenery so far has impressed.
Today's ride took me through a wildlife park where I saw a herd of elephants.
Mixed religions here and they appear to get along fine.
Negatives?
I have to mention the drivers.
Homicidal, manic, crazy... take your pick.
There are few obeyed rules.
After 4 days I am adjusting to the way things happen.
Ever watched an ants nest? They run around never bumping into each other. That's how it appears to work here.

Several times I was cut up but when I had eye contact with the culprit, he just grinned a wide smile.
And I grinned back! It's catching.
Just hope that's one thing I don't bring back with me.

Sorry no pictures. Traveling light. Just a phone.

Fire away any questions. WiFi is erratic but will reply asap.

Matt
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 04:12:52 am by Matt2matt2002 »
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Sri Lanka
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 04:54:02 am »
Enjoyed the report, Matt. Safe travels.

Will your phone take photos for posting after your return?

All the best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 01:30:12 pm »
Yes Dan. Pictures will follow.

Today I did 117 km on tarmac smooth roads but temps were 32°+.
I set off at dawn and the first 3 hours were fine. But then the heat kicked in and it was tough.
I averaged 18 km/ hr and my moving time was 5 hrs something. But my total door to door was 10 hours. Plenty of stops and naps.

Any tips for this kind of cycling?
I have rehydration sachets to add to my water .
Last year it was worse. The heat radiated from the road. Here there is a lot of greenery/ jungle to add dampness and moisture. But very sapping, at over 30°.

I'm at Mannar if you take a look on Google maps.
Next stop Jaffna.

Matt

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 05:42:46 pm »
Any tips for this kind of cycling?
Hi Matt!

I've cycled a lot in the dry heat of the desert, and in 2014 my tour took me though the almost-always very humid terrain around the length of the Danube. During Serbia's two heat waves, ambient temps hit 44.4°C-45.5°C/112°-114° by 08:30 so...hot and humid.

In either case, I've found the following which might prove helpful to you...

• Proper hydration is like a bank account with one difference: It is not something you can fill right away and it is easy to become overdrawn. The secret to beating this is to remain hydrated by drinking pretty constantly and certainly before you feel any thirst. If you feel thirst, you're already past the ideal.

• It is important to replenish electrolytes. Your sports-drink sachets are good, as are commercial sports drinks...except most are too full of sugar to be ideal. Excess sugar slows water absorption in the stomach. For me, I find diluting Gatorade and similar products by 50% is about the ideal. I usually go 1-2l of plain water followed by 1l of electrolyte replenishment. If I don't go by the whole liter, then I usually follow a 1-in-3 mix. The real key for me is cramping in my quads. If there's even a hint of that, it means I'm getting too much water and not enough electrolytes to maintain a good balance for me.

• If you run out of electrolyte sachets, remember the natural sources...bananas are the ideal source. Also, beer in moderation. I don't/can't drink (past head trauma causes even a slight amount of beer to make me very nauseous), so I either cut my beer 50% with sparkling lemon (beer shandy or "radler beer" in Germany) or mix non-alcoholic beer half-and-half with sparkling lemon. I did this on the advice of a Bavarian cycling friend and it worked well for me in reducing or stopping the cramps that come with electrolyte depletion.

• Try and start the day early. While on-tour in summer, I get up at or just before first light. From May to mid-July in the Northern Hemisphere, that usually means about 04:50. I try to get in 32km/20mi before breakfast so the morning food prep doesn't delay my departure. The goal is to get as much distance in as I can prior to 08:00 and certainly before 10:00 when the heat really hits.

• Try to minimize exertion in the heat of the day. I *never* walk the hills, but I sure did in Serbia. Though it meant longer exposure (not really...there was little if any available treeshade at the time...), it also meant reduced effort in the greatest heat. It did help. Lay up if you can, and remember the hours between 14:00 and 16:00 can often be the hottest outright with the greatest sunload.

• If you have UVA/UVB filtering sunscreen, use it. It does result in a reduced heating according to several studies and my own experience.

• Wear sun-protective clothing and consider wetting it in key places for a cooling effect from the breezes caused by riding in even still air. Do beware not to get it sodden, however, as the water can run down and wet your cycling shorts causing problems. Also, if clothing is wet enough to run, the water droplets can form little lenses on your skin and so raise painful blisters. I could go on at length on preventing sunburns, but that doesn't seem to be as big a problem as heat for you at present.

• Rig shade when you can. Silly as it may sound, see if you can buy an unbrella along the way. They are invaluable when stopping for breaks where there is no shade, and small folding examples take little room and don't weigh much. They do require one hand to hold, which is why I always take my folding Korean Fisherman's hat...it is basically an umbrella with a hatband that sits on my head. Mine is made of aluminized nylon with a navy underside to reduce glare, has a chinstrap and toggle, and a vented canopy. The lot folds into a compact bundle stored under my tent straps atop the rear rack and is employed whenever I stop for awhile, typically at lunch breaks.

If stopped when it is really hot, choose your sitting places wisely. Steel guardrails can scald. Tarred or asphalt paving often melts in such temperatures and can stick to bare skin, causing the skin to burn and come away in bloody clumps when the cooled tar is removed. It can melt lycra cycling shorts, too. For this reason, I used to sit on a small piece of closed-cell high-temp aluminized foam intended as a lightweight heat isolator for cookpots. The last several years I've used a very small folding chair (the Alite Monarch Butterfly...it has two legs to not only accommodate uneven ground, but to facilitate rocking, as my legs/feet form the third leg of the tripod... https://www.amazon.com/Alite-Designs-01-01E-JOR5-P-Monarch-Chair/dp/B009UW2TV2 ). I love it.

• If you've had to curtail cycling during the hottest parts of the day, then consider resuming your journey in the evening while there is still plenty of light. Riding from 19:00-20:00...that single hour can accomplish a lot of forward progress before making camp. Do be aware, however, this is a time when many wild animals are also active and many feed in the evening. Watch for animals likely to cross your path. In your case, this could also mean a greater likelihood of meeting Big Game.

While it is possible to cycle through the night -- I have done it a number of times on 400km days -- I don't recommend it. You miss lots of what you came on tour to see, and there is a greater likelihood of hitting animals or road hazards even with good lighting.

• Look out for the signs of heat exhaustion and the less common heat stroke. If you start to chill or your skin is clammy and cool/cold to the touch and you have stopped sweating, be sure to get out of the sun and start aggressive cooling and rehydration immediately. Cycling in high temperatures is serious, serious business and the consequences can be really Bad if symptoms are ignored. Remember, it will always be hotter on the road than ambient temperatures indicate. Anyone who follows Formula One racing will have noticed the vast difference between "Track Temperatures" and "Air Temperature". The same holds true for riding, as the darker surface absorbs more heat and then holds it. When it comes time to make camp at night, move as far off the road as possible for this reason; the pavement is a giant heat sink and you can feel the difference between it and soil through most of the night.

• Daytime/nighttime temperature contrasts can be severe. For me here in the deserts of America's Great Basin, the difference can be as much as 80°F between daytime high and nighttime low. Before going to sleep, rig your sleeping bag so you can grab it or zip it up if needed...the coldest time of night is typically around 04:00. If the skies are clear, I typically start the night with my tent rigged as a "bug tent" -- just the mesh inner -- and fall asleep with minimal clothing (i.e. dry jersey and casual shorts) in my silk bag liner. The bag is spread unzipped between me and the tent wall. After awhile, I draw the bag over me, and as the night and (relative) cold deepen, I pull the bag under me as well and zip it, deploying the hood if needed. This strategy has worked well and minimizes sleep loss.

Hope this helps. Take care, and know good wishes go with you.

All the best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 08:15:54 pm »
These days I am living in the Great Basin, 4500 foot elevation with plenty of dry heat and sun. I am slowly learning the lessons that Dan has outlined! I do see quite a few of the local folks carrying umbrellas in the sun. Shade is precious! I was out for a walk this morning in the city. Waiting for the traffic signals at intersections, I position myself in the shadow of the utility pole. I very often see people taking advantage of whatever little shade they can find, even just for a minute of relief.

I was using SPF 50 sunblock on my nose and still getting too much exposure. I have upped it to SPF 110 and that is working. Intense!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 04:27:52 am »
Many thanks folks.
That makes good reading and sense.

I think I'm doing about all I can.
Hydrating, seaking shade, early starts, and taking things easy.

My only ' rush' is to make the next town early enough to find accommodation.
It's been easy so far. But taking a noon day break of a few hours would put me into dusk for arrival time.

But yes, good thoughts on hydration. Money in the bank so to speak. If you ain't got it banked then it's too late.
I soak my wide brimmed hat with a back flap whenever possible. Plus my padded cycling mits. They stay wet/ damp for a lo g time and I can dab my neck etc.
And shade. Yes. Every little helps.
Dawn here is 5.45 am so I aim to be ready to roll by 5.30.
Watching sunrise is a great plus. In addition to the traffic free roads and cool air.

Once again, many thanks for comments.
They will be reread before bed time.
Matt

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 08:58:26 am »
All good things come to an end and in 3 days I fly back home.

I have returned early to Negombo where my first guest house kept my bike box bubble wrap and spare bix tape.

The box was very badly damaged at one end. The lower edge was shredded.
I located the biggest bike shop in town and they were very helpful, offering me a box. However they are all much smaller in length and height that I need for the Raven.
I did score a fork spacer! My original one was lost when the forks were dragged along the ground by the baggage handlers.

My plan is to tape up the damaged end as best I can.
The heat out here does not help the tape stick so that's a concern.

Turkish Airlines likes bikes boxed so not included to go down the plastic bag route.

And tips hints or thoughts much appreciated.

My final date to pack the bike is Monday 25th.

Matt

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 06:12:48 am »
https://www.facebook.com/daniel.wood.7777019/posts/10208627746069799
Hi Matt!

I think you're definitely on the right track to try and tape the box as much as possible. However, I think I'd take the bike shop up in their offer of a too-small box and use it to reinforce the damaged end of yours. With a little creativity and a sharp knife (be careful!), I think you might be able to sleeve at least part of the new box over the damaged portion of the old. I've done this sometimes and with great success.

Tape does protect the cardboard from shredding, adds waterproofness, and aids skidding across a *smooth* floor...but does nothing when the boxed bike is used as a wheel chock while the plane is parked!

Also, if you lack other padding inside you can make the box much more rigid against crushing by inserting cardboard boxes between the walls through the open parts of the frame (main triangle and above the rear rack).

If you can somehow obtain some pipe lagging, that always helps to protect the tubing. Attached below is a photo of a frame I recently sold on eBay. It made it diagonally across the US with no damage by copying Thorn's basic shipping-protection scheme. I realize it is not a complete bike, but it illustrates the basic method.

The fork spacer was a score! I always try to make sure the fork also rests on a block of styrofoam as a cushion in case the box is dropped. Whenever I pack a bike for shipping, I think "isolation"...from impact and from rubbing. The boxes are pretty strong vertically, but if they fall over flat, there can be problems. That's why I try to space the sides apart whenever possible. If you have a plastic sack, you can fill it halfway with styro "peanuts" and then seal the end, making a flexible packing that stays together. I usually drape one of these over the top tube (see second photo below).

Best of luck on the shipment home, Matt. I'm sorry your poor Old Bird sustained so much fork damage and I hope it won't incur more. You've had a fabulous tour and good thoughts go with you for a safe, happy flight.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 06:20:30 am by Danneaux »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 08:27:50 am »
Many thanks Dan.
A few good tips there.

When I land in Edinburgh I'll have 4 and a half hours to assemble the bike and cycle to the railway station.
It's a 1 hour ride.
My train tickets are booked and paid for. It's the last train from Edinburgh so if I don't make it I'll be looking for a bed there.

At the moment Turkish Airline flights are running to schedule although I see they suspended flights to USA for a while.

I think the situation could still be described as ' fluid'.

Matt

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 12:31:42 pm »
I recently sent a quick review of my tour to a friend in Australia.
Below is a copy of my email covering the basics.
Fire away any questions....

My Sri Lanka trip was very good and I'd recommend it as a friendly and safe place to tour.
I only saw 2 other sets of tourers.
Both Dutch.
A couple and a 4 person family.

I stuck to the coast for most of my time there, apart from the last 5 or 6 days when I cut across country and the hills.
Highest point was 1,050m
There are much higher places on the island.
Coastal route was extremely flat. After 3 weeks I was looking forward to some hills!

Roads are in great condition - Chinese built - plus 1-2m wide shoulders on 80% of them.
Drivers are very bad and pollution is the worse I have driven in
But most folk wave and smile as some sort of compensation - so out of the towns and cities it's fine.

Accommodation was easy to find. Guesthouses or cheap hotels.
Even when one guesthouse I was aiming for was found to be closed I had no problem riding to the next town - 15-20 Km and finding something else.
Most folk spoke English and were good with directions.
When they say it's 10Km to the next village, it usually is.
Roads are well signed and mileposts indicate the highway you are on and distance to next city/town.

Food - plenty of rice curry and fruits. Never went hungry and ate healthy.
Lost 9lb in 28 days.
Just 2 rear panniers - no tent or cooking gear.
No punctures.
I carried 4 litres of water on the bike but never needed more than 2. Plenty of places to pull over for a cup of tea or cold coke etc.
Local water was OK to drink straight from the well or pump.

Wifi available in most guesthouses or hotels.

My costs for 28 days:
Return flight from Edinburgh via Istanbul £478
Accommodation £370
Food/beer £146
Taxi with bike to and from airport £21
My camera broke after 6 days - so bought a new one £59
I had to pay for my bike as extra luggage on the way back £71
( didn't pay for it going out - not sure why )

So basic costs for in the country = £370+£146+£21

Not bad.
I ate local and simple but did have a few beers along the way. Not every day - but enough.
There are also plenty of more up-market places to stay but I avoided to commercial side of the island.

June July temps hit 30+ so if I returned I would choose a cooler month.
But the x2 monsoon seasons are to be avoided and they affect different sides of the island - so a tricky choice to make.
I didn't see rain at all - although a few days towards to end were cloudy.

My usual day began at dawn - 5.30am - and finished by 1 or 2 pm
I enjoyed riding early in the cool - less drivers/traffic - and watching the sunrise.

Great wildlife - elephants monkeys peacocks etc.

I tried not to make comparisons with last year. ( Pamir Highway)
It wasn't as cheap and no mega mountains - but plenty of other compensations.
I guess I should have returned to Tajikistan if I had wanted mountains for peanuts!

Good to see a different culture.
A very religious country and they appear to get on with each other. We could learn about that here in UK

I rode most days but had several 1 or 2 day stops.
Total Km = 1,060

I'm preparing a Crazy guy blog.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 08:00:28 am by Matt2matt2002 »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 06:48:41 pm »
Terrific summary, Matt! Yes, please so post the link to your CGOAB journal so we can read more and see photos.

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 11:12:18 pm »
Fascinating, Matt. I especially liked the economic and infrastructure notes (I'm an economist: I would).

Neil Jones

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 07:23:31 am »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and costs of your latest expedition Matt. It sounds a really interesting place to visit.

All the best,
Neil

John Saxby

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 12:27:36 pm »
Great summary, Matt, of what spunds like a super tour.  Look forward to reading your crazyguy blog.  Cheap food and lodging made your costs very manageable, and your load a lot lighter.  I haven't yet assembled the numbers from my trip in the Western Mountains, but they'll look quite different.

Cheers,  John

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 06:59:47 pm »
Many thanks folks.

This may sound cheesie but your comments made me think of that quotation.
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

The support and encouragement I have received here in recent years has enabled me to enjoy Thorns, my Raven and touring to a great degree.

While away I always thought I had a safety net.

Many sincere thanks to you all.