Author Topic: First tour on the Raven - Oregon  (Read 2769 times)

djd828

First tour on the Raven - Oregon
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:24:37 am »
I am in the middle of a short tour in Oregon and it has been quite a learning experience for a newbie.  I have been documenting some of it on my personal blog--- http://dinkel.us.  Thanks to everyone on the forum that has gotten me this far.  Thanks to Dan for his advice on Oregon routes.

Dave

[Link modified to execute -- Dan.]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:23:35 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: First tour on the Raven - Oregon
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 02:23:49 am »
All best wishes your way, Dave; I can relate. There is a reason why I have my Nomad setup with 36x17 gearing...and at times have wished for lower. It is worse if you make the crossing by logging roads, as the grades can be 24%-31% on semi-graded ballast.

The big thing here is you cannot count on anything being open. Entire towns have folded on my regular routes through parts of Central and SE Oregon, so it is not uncommon for daily riding distances to be much longer than planned.

If you can lay in some stores of food and water to tide you over past an unexpected closure, it makes for a good bailout plan. If you see a "No Trespassing" sign, be sure to heed it and move on to an unsigned area.

The good news is the weather throughout this next week on the coast and in the Valley looks to be fantastic and the coastal winds should generally favor your southbound travel. You'll be in for a real treat in terms of scenery.

Do take care and know all good wishes go with you for a safe, happy Adventure.

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 03:22:41 am »
Dave,

The Raven looks wonderful in all your photos of it -- a dream ride, for sure!

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 04:49:16 am »
You must have gone very close to my old apartment, between Evergreen Parkway and Cornell Rd in Hillsboro! Burnside pretty much dumps you onto Cornell once you're over the hill.

Bike touring really does help a person get to know the geography! Every hill is etched into your muscles!

Thanks for the reports... may you be blessed with cool breezes - from the tail direction!

in4

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 09:52:46 am »
Wow! Thanks for sharing and all credit to you for having considerable intestinal fortitude, especially in the face of some miserable RV site Caretakers; how unpleasant. Don't let it put you off. You have a great bike ( love the fenders) upon which to enjoy some beautiful country this summer.