Community > Thorn General

[THORN KICKSTAND POLICY] Bicycle stand for Club Tour

<< < (3/3)

Mike Ayling:
The Clickstand is a little fiddly to use but certainly does the job!

Mike

energyman:
A "little fiddly" is an understatement.
I have both kickstands which are brilliant and a "click stand" which is also brilliant but definitely fiddly.

mickeg:
I made something like a Clickstand from a tent pole to use on my Titanium bike, I did not want to risk damaging the frame with a kickstand mount.  I find I take a lot more photos when I have a bike with a real kickstand than I do when I use a Clickstand like thing instead, but it is much better than nothing.

That said, it is fantastic to have something like my Clickstand like thingy when touring and I want to stop and dig something out of a pannier.

Andre Jute:
There is a proper way to fit a chainstay-mounted bicycle stand and ESGE/Pletscher sells a stand specifically to fit it; when correctly fitted with the half-round spacer, supplied with it, inserted, it doesn't fit around the chainstay. Correct fitting consists of a tab welded or brazed to the chain stay near the rear end of the bike (what's commonly called the dropout) or to the axle hanger if it is fancy, or even integrated with Rohloff's proprietary sliding axle hanger (which would only require two holes drilled and tapped into it), with the non-driveside chainstay strengthened by butting if need be and/or a triangulation bar or plate fitted between the chain- and seat-stay just forward of the tab. The tab is drilled and tapped (if you don't know this in advance, it is an invitation to break the machine screws holding the stand on by over-torquing -- I've replaced mine with longer high tensile bolts and stainless nyloc nuts on the back of the tab) and the whole stand assembly on the German bike I'm using to illustrate this is rated at more than the 170kg that the whole bike is very conservatively rated for by the factory.

You can see a photo of the stand fittings on a bicycle that uses three of the four methods of stand-proofing the bike several pages from the top at http://coolmainpress.com/AndreJute'sUtopiaKranich.pdf
The tab for the stand is part of the rear end in which the Rohloff axle hanger slides, the chainstay is butted on the inside, and there is a further triangulating stay (the drillium half moon) that binds together the chainstay, the "mixte" rail which goes all the way to the head tube with triangulations along the way (so transferring part of that load to the drive side when the bike is stationary on the stand), and the seat stay, and further provides stabilizing resistance to disc brake forces (I like Magura rim hydraulics instead). I have one of these bikes, and in ten years of carrying my 215 pounds plus my heavy painting gear and often a couple of cases of wine over rough roads I have neither heard nor seen any sign of stress in the rear triangle(s) of the bike -- and these internally butted tubes are custom drawn (by Columbus, who used to make Ferrari chasses) to be very light indeed for a touring bike.

Incidentally, the makers of this particular bike that I use as an illustration offer a convoluted metaphysic -- in German, of course! -- for their bias against centrally mounted stands (not to mention total cancellation of your warranty if you ignore their warning). Between them and Thorn's revulsion at chain stay-mounted kickstands, they have their backsides well covered! They're not the only ones either: a prohibition against bicycle stands is almost standard issue with designers of desirable low-volume bicycles.

But every designer has some kind of bias or prejudice or bee in his bonnet: that's why they started designing bikes in the first place, because they thought their preferences weren't being served by existing bikes created by other designers. For the thoughtful and informed bike-shopper, no designer is a perfect match, but you can certainly find a designer who is a 99% or 98% match, and that should be good enough.

il padrone:

--- Quote from: Manuel on October 22, 2019, 04:25:45 pm ---....I typically use a kickstand, and so far, over 40 years of using them on quality bicycles, three kickstands have broken either from years of use or by using them to take the weight of the bike while I spin the rear wheel (not recommended). I have never damaged the chainstay. So it might just be possible that Thorn's reaction to the kickstand by be somewhat over-reactive.

--- End quote ---

Manuel, I can only agree with you on this. In the old days (the ‘70s man!) the BB-mounted side stands were crappy and supported a loaded bicycle very poorly. At the time, the road bike culture of the new 10-speeds regarded kickstands as daggy. But in utility and touring uses they are very functional

I can recommend the Pletscher Multizoom, the Greenfield rear-stay mount, or for a centre-mount, the Ursus Jumbo is exceptionally good, if heavy.

https://ursuscycling.com/collections/ursus-kickstands

Cheers, Pete

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version