Author Topic: Over the hills and far away...  (Read 17601 times)

John Saxby

Re: Over the hills and far away...
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2016, 10:05:28 pm »
Thanks, Anto, for your kind words. 'Twas grand, for sure, all of it. "God's country", many would call it.

The camping worked out fine -- helped by good weather most of the time.  You never quite know what will happen in the mountains, but I avoided rain and cold, and I had only one very hot day (in Washington state).

Cheers,  John

David Simpson

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2016, 10:47:47 pm »
Hi John --

Thanks for writing it up and posting the pictures! I'm looking forward to reading it over the holidays, especially since your tour covered territory that is relatively close to home for me.

- DaveS

John Saxby

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2016, 02:36:47 pm »
Thanks, Dave.  I wasn't able to get to Van this time round -- my original plan took me from Washington up to Van, but VIA's fares persuaded me to stay S of the border.  I did meet cyclists doing the Selkirk Loop when I passed through NE Idaho, and my route to Nelson covers part of that as well.

Hope your recent snow disappears and that you can do some cycling over the holidays. X-country skiing more likely here, as the temps tonight will be -25 sans windchill.

Cheers,  John

jags

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2016, 03:40:48 pm »
-25 can't get head round that  :o

John Saxby

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2016, 05:00:07 pm »
Best not to think about the windchill, estimated to be around -35.

Stay indoors, and if you're out-of-doors, avoid exposing much skin -- full-coverage balaclavas are useful, esp if you want to cultivate a badass look.

Interesting fact: When the temp drops to about -25, it's very hard to skate. This is 'cos a skate blade glides on a thin film of water generated by the heat from the pressure of the narrow blade on the ice. Mind you, when it's -25, it's hard to tie your skate laces, because fingers don't work very well then either. Nor is it much fun skating into a headwind at anything below -15...  (-15 with a wind is usually my cutoff point for X-country skiing as well.)

As above, brew some hot chocolate & stay indoors, maybe adding a dollop of sherry or brandy to the hot chocolate. 

As a PS, Anto:  The good thing is that the days are usually sunny when it's as cold as this. Today, we have a blanket of snow, a bright blue sky, and bright sunshine. I'll go for a walk this afternoon, scarf across face, wearing my -35 boots and mittens (these items come with an estimated temp rating, useful when you buy them.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:04:21 pm by John Saxby »

jags

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2016, 05:45:20 pm »
John we would never get anything like that minus 4or5 tops  if there is heavy snow the country comes to a halt everyone goes mental building snowmen  and snowballs  ;D ;D
wrap up well john did u take a camera on your walk by any chance  ;)

anto.

John Saxby

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2016, 09:36:10 pm »
Didn't take my camera today, Anto--it would have been too cold to work the buttons with my bare hands :(

Have attached some photos, though. These are typical:

First two are from the hills across the river, mid-February a year or two ago, on a skiing/cycling trail (winter & summer). LL

Last two are from Monday this week, in the morning BC (=Before Coffee). Not much colour :(

jags

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2016, 10:58:20 pm »
wow that's a lotta weather John.
look's like you live in a better part of town mean that in a nice way  ::)

anto

Pavel

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2017, 10:46:40 pm »
Ahh those shots bring warm fuzzy memories of snow and snow shoveling, and snow shoveling, and MORE snow shoveling. Oh how I miss that. Not at all.  8)