Author Topic: Ortlieb front roller plus Black  (Read 12271 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Ortlieb front roller plus Black
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 04:16:46 am »
My problems would (not) be solved with more of this....  ;)

Best,

Dan.

in4

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2016, 08:30:55 am »
Might I suggest this as a complimentary dish to your tinned one. Usually referred to as Makan angin!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 06:02:30 pm »
Eating wind...chasing breezes,...yes! The best kind of travel can be on wheels.  :)

All the best,

Dan.

jul

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 06:17:17 pm »
 Your black Nomad is wonderful and i'm sure Dan,  it looks like you ! (even if i know you just a litlle bit)

Mine is different, almost finished and ready to go, also i think it looks like me   :)  you'll see later with photos to come

About my front bag, finally i've found the "Roller plus" in my favorite color, it was on good opportunity to find this model in a web shop at a good price.

I tried to find the "Sport Packer plus" but no result. I have ordered  once but they were not like on the photo arrived at home (new model 2016) , so i have returned.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 06:22:34 pm by julio »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 06:57:06 pm »
Your black Nomad is wonderful and i'm sure Dan,  it looks like you ! (even if i know you just a litlle bit)...Mine is different, almost finished and ready to go, also i think it looks like me
  ;D You're absolutely right, Julien!

It is amazing how all our Thorns start with the same basic frame for each model, yet end up looking so very different as we personalize them to our wants, needs, and desires. They really do reflect ourselves. :) Vive la différence!

I'm eagerly looking forward to photos of your own yellow Nomad in the gallery, and hearing about your travel plans.

I'm sorry your initial efforts to find front panniers were not successful, but everything came out right in the end and you now have just what you wanted -- wonderful!

Take care, and enjoy the process.

All the best,

Dan.

jul

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 12:41:35 pm »
Thinking a photo might be helpful for others, here's one showing my Nomad with Ortlieb SportPacker front panniers, BikePacker rear panniers, and Ultimate V Large handlebar bag all loaded and ready or an extended journey...

Best,

Dan.

Hi Dan,

Is it a pair of SKS P55 or P65 installed on your Nomad ?  (i remember you have Dureme tires in 2".. )

Are you satisfied both fenders and tires size ? 

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:00:17 pm by julio »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 03:00:14 pm »
Hi Julien!

Yes, I am using 26x2.0in Schwalbe Dureme tires on my Nomad, equipped by Thorn with SKS P55 fenders (mudguards).

I've been very happy with the combination, enough to purchase a second pair of these mudguards so I could fit a rear fender to the front, allowing greater linear coverage and splash protection for me, the bike, and my panniers. I also purchased another pair of these mudguards to replace the rear one, which was fractured by my Extrawheel trailer hitting the lower stay mounting bolts when crossing from a logging road into a ditch and out again. I have not yet fitted it, but will this winter.

To aid you in your decision, I just went to the garage and measured everything.

The fenders are extruded, so the width varies slightly over their length. All of mine (front, rear, spares) measure 56.5-58.5mm wide depending on manufacturing tolerance and how they are fitted. They swell slightly wider where the stay brackets are riveted on.  My tires' actual width varies slightly according to the pressure, from 47.5mm to 49.87mm; currently, they measure right at 48mm. This leaves the fender overhanging the tire by as much as 5mm on each side. The fenders are mounted to allow plenty of clearance over the tire, so this combination provides good coverage for the majority of my use.

On my 2014 European double-crossing, Forum member AndyBG kindly loaned me his Raven Tour. It was equipped with the SKS' P65 mudguards. These also worked well with 2.0in Schwalbe Marathon Deluxe tires, but covered the tires a bit more than needed in most cases, causing a bit more wind drag than I might have wished, but a loaded tourer with panniers is not so aerodynamic anyway -- it probably made no real difference to my speed. In heavy mud, the extra width was welcome and no detriment. Still, the wheels locked-up at times against the fenders when traversing rain-soaked dirt roads and the bike had to be rocked back and forth a bit to clear them. This would likely have happened with any tire-fender combination, given the conditions and sticky mud. I think it just took slightly longer to happen with the P65s. To give perspective, I myself sank to my shoe-tops in the mud when I got off to clear the tires.

However, there is another factor to consider: The P55s have a continuous, even width on the rear fender (except for manufacturing tolerances caused by the extrusion process and bending to fit). The P65s fitted to AndyBG's bike at the time had an opening cut out of the right side to allow chain clearance when fitted to a bike with derailleur drivetrain. This opening had the unfortunate effect of dumping mud and debris on the right chainstay and sometimes, the chain. Just something to keep in mind if you go with wider and wish to have full-width coverage -- check to see if the fender is cut away in this place. It can matter sometimes when fitted to a Rohloff-equipped bike where the chain does not need to move laterally when you shift, as with a derailleur drivetrain.

I'm working on a project bike now -- a used, lightweight MTB with derailleur drivetrain converted to a drop-handlebar "randonneur" intended for use at high speeds on gravel logging roads and intended to carry minimal loads. For it, I bought (also used, this is meant to be an inexpensive project) full-coverage Planet Bike Cascadia fenders. They measure 60mm and are intended to cover tires that will measure 50mm when inflated to my needs (Innova Swiftor, a kind of superwide near-slick). Again, the coverage will be about 5mm on each side of the tire. These fenders have no cutout in the sides, so I might have to make one to clear the derailleur chain once they are fitted. Unlike the SKS fenders, which are cellulose-plastic over an aluminum foil core and are a sort of brownish color in direct sunlight, the PlanetBike Cascadias are opaque black polycarbonate. So far, they have been as durable as the SKS' when used on my road bikes, but I am unsure how they will hold up on this project bike. Time will tell.

Much of a fender's effectiveness depends on the vertical clearance between it and the tire. Too close and you risk jamming the fender with debris like wet leaves. Too much, and some water can escape. I have my Nomad fenders set generously high and a little added clearance at the bottom-rear of each to better catch thrown water.

This is probably more information than you needed, but hopefully helpful if you are looking at all options.

Yes, I am pleased with the combination of P55 SKS fenders used with 2in Schwalbe Dureme tires on my Nomad.  :)

All the best,

Dan.

dc

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 06:39:41 pm »
Now thats what i call a  touring bike Dan. regards dc.

martinf

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 09:18:10 pm »
I have the same setup as Dan on my "touring" Raven Tour - SKS P55, extended front mudguard, 2.0 tyres.

I currently have Supremes rather than Duremes (I moved the latter to my old converted mountain bike, where they get more use on tracks and paths).

On my "utility" Raven Tour I fitted the wider SKS P65 mudguards, because I sometimes fit studded tyres on that bike. I reckon that more clearance is prudent with studs . It also gives me the option of fitting slightly wider tyres than the 2.0 size I currently use if I ever want too, but not as wide as on a Nomad frame. Not sure what the maximum reasonable size is for a Raven Tour with mudguards.

The SKS P65 mudguards have the unneccessary cut-out next to the RH chainstay. But this doesn't matter much for me as I have Chaingliders on my 2 Raven Tour bikes.

jul

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2016, 09:40:09 pm »
Ok thanks very much

So, i think my P55 will stay on my bike. I 'm just planning to change later my dureme tires to the Mondials in the same size.

;)

jul

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2016, 08:00:30 pm »
I have the same setup as Dan on my "touring" Raven Tour - SKS P55, extended front mudguard, 2.0 tyres.

I currently have Supremes rather than Duremes (I moved the latter to my old converted mountain bike, where they get more use on tracks and paths).

On my "utility" Raven Tour I fitted the wider SKS P65 mudguards, because I sometimes fit studded tyres on that bike. I reckon that more clearance is prudent with studs . It also gives me the option of fitting slightly wider tyres than the 2.0 size I currently use if I ever want too, but not as wide as on a Nomad frame. Not sure what the maximum reasonable size is for a Raven Tour with mudguards.

The SKS P65 mudguards have the unneccessary cut-out next to the RH chainstay. But this doesn't matter much for me as I have Chaingliders on my 2 Raven Tour bikes.

a bit as on the photo ..

More seriously, when you change your 2"tires for a bit wider, the height might change too ? do you know how many millimeter ? ( i didn't seen on the Schwable website)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:11:02 pm by julio »

mickeg

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2016, 12:40:01 am »
More seriously, when you change your 2"tires for a bit wider, the height might change too ? do you know how many millimeter ? ( i didn't seen on the Schwable website)

Height will change.  Many years ago I saved a file with generic tire circumferences on my hard drive, I have no clue where the web site was that I got the data from.  I usually used these numbers for my bicycle computer until i could measure a specific model tire for more accurate data for my bike computer.  These would be generic at best.  I pasted part of that file below for 26 inch tires.

26"    25-559    1940 mm
     35-559    1980 mm
     40-559    2000 mm
     47-559    2020 mm
     50-559    2040 mm
     54-559    2080 mm
     57-559    2100 mm
     60-559    2150 mm

To get the radius you take circumference, divide by pi (which is 3.14159) and then divide by 2 to get radius.  The radius will be the distance from the center of the axle to the tire tread.

So, radius of 50mm tire would be 2080/3.14159/2 = 331.0 mm.
But a 57 mm tire would be 2100/3.14159/2 = 334.2 mm, which is 3.2 mm bigger radius than the 50mm tire.

The table I pasted above, the numbers are clearly rounded off to the nearest 10 mm, so accuracy of the calculations could be in doubt.  If you measured the actual tire circumferences for the tires that you are talking about, you could be more accurate.

jul

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 01:59:26 pm »

Height will change.  Many years ago I saved a file with generic tire circumferences on my hard drive, I have no clue where the web site was that I got the data from.  I usually used these numbers for my bicycle computer until i could measure a specific model tire for more accurate data for my bike computer.  These would be generic at best.  I pasted part of that file below for 26 inch tires.

26"    25-559    1940 mm
     35-559    1980 mm
     40-559    2000 mm
     47-559    2020 mm
     50-559    2040 mm
     54-559    2080 mm
     57-559    2100 mm
     60-559    2150 mm

To get the radius you take circumference, divide by pi (which is 3.14159) and then divide by 2 to get radius.  The radius will be the distance from the center of the axle to the tire tread.

So, radius of 50mm tire would be 2080/3.14159/2 = 331.0 mm.
But a 57 mm tire would be 2100/3.14159/2 = 334.2 mm, which is 3.2 mm bigger radius than the 50mm tire.

The table I pasted above, the numbers are clearly rounded off to the nearest 10 mm, so accuracy of the calculations could be in doubt.  If you measured the actual tire circumferences for the tires that you are talking about, you could be more accurate.

You mean "2040" !?

So, by my calculation the height difference between a 2" (50mm) tire and one of 2.15 (54mm) is 6.4 mm

(2040:3.14159):2=324.6
(2080:3.14159):2=331
331-324.6=6.4

And 9.6 mm between a 2.25 (57mm) tire and one of 2"

Thanks Mickeg ! i think it's a difference to be considered ..
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:19:07 pm by julio »

martinf

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2016, 05:39:35 pm »
a bit as on the photo ..

Not so extreme as those, mine are Nokian Hakkapeliitta W240 as in the photo.

martinf

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2016, 05:56:14 pm »

As bicycle tyres don't usually exactly match their specified dimensions it is a bit difficult to predict height and width changes accurately.

When I fitted 42x584 Supremes on my wife's bike I measured them to be about 37mm wide and 35 mm high, so I gambled on the 50x584 Supremes being a bit undersized as well and bought a pair to try on my old 650B frame. They fit OK with just enough mudguard clearance.

My 26" studded tyres are stamped 1.95", but are slightly wider and taller than Schwalbe Supremes, which are supposed to be 2.0"