Community > Member's Gallery

Wasatch Nomad

(1/8) > >>

JimK:
Making plans is really a joke! Dante got a job in Utah, so here I am. For how long? Who knows?

Today's ride, day 4 in our new location: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14070945

Andre Jute:
Must say, it looks pretty agreeable, Jim, lovely landscape and small lanes, good for cycling. Presumably it is warmer than your previous location.

JimK:
So far so good. This is a big built up urban area so there are some quite nasty intersections. There are some very nice bike paths too. The best biking seems to be the technical stuff up in the mountains. I imagine the Nomad will get me through a lot of that. We shall see!

Right now it is miserably hot in New York and quite pleasant here. It'll be interesting to see how the heat gets here, come August! We're at about 4400 feet of elevation here so the sun is really intense!

John Saxby:
Great stuff, Jim.  Marcia's parents used to live in SLC--they weren't Mormons, BTW, though Marcia used to say that it was interesting to visit one of the world's few remaining theocracies... My parents-in-law had a house on the East Bench of the city, backing onto state forest land, so that the Wasatch range was right out the back door: Mt Olympus was immediately east of their place, a six-hr up-and-back hike.

Fabulous countryside, with snow in the bowls up around 10,000' (esp those facing E and/or N) until late July.

Not much of a road/street/touring bike culture, to be sure, but great landscapes if you can suss out the secondary roads.

Best to you and Dante,

John

JimK:
The snow we can see up on the peaks seems to be melting by the hour!

Dante will be commuting by bike to his job. He tested out his route a couple days ago and passed another bike commuter going the other way. So now he doesn't feel utterly alone! But yeah this looks like road racing bikes and mountain bikes, plus a lot of basic cheap bikes, around here. We've seen lots and lots of bikes on the roads and bike paths. It's a busy place!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version