Author Topic: Preworn teeth, and only every second one at that, in future Shimano chainrings  (Read 5074 times)

Andre Jute

The image is from BikeRumor
http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/02/01/is-shimano-losing-teeth-to-make-lighter-better-shifting-chainrings/
where the editors explain:
"Want to reduce weight? Cut drag and friction? Easy, just remove every other tooth."

Yup, and pre-degrade the teeth, which will save 9.137529 (recurring) nanograms of mass.

Joking aside, there's a good deal of technical interest in that article of possible ways to lay out driving teeth.

Bill C

looks a lot like inch pitch, i spose it uses an i-chain  ::) ? it will be elliptical chain rings next, this modern tech stuff where will it all end?

mickeg

I have seen track chainrings that look like that in the past, but that was not for derailleur bikes.

I took the attached photos in the Smithsonian Institute in spring 2013, a museum in Washington D.C.  The camera I had does not have a good flash, so I was trying to take photos without the flash, but it was quite dark so the photos are pretty poor.  Sorry.  The first two photos have a vintage bike with that same tooth pattern on the chainring.  I do not recall for sure, but it is possible that this was a Wright Brothers bicycle.

The third photo, is that a chainglider?

Bill C

Andre Jute

It looks like early cycling manufacturers soon agreed on an inch-pitch, Bill.

That surely looks like an early Chainglider, George. Presumably the wax model is of Major Taylor, the early cycling hero.

il padrone

It looks like early cycling manufacturers soon agreed on an inch-pitch, Bill.

That surely looks like an early Chainglider, George. Presumably the wax model is of Major Taylor, the early cycling hero.

Major Taylor was a black man  ???

Andre Jute

Presumably the wax model is of Major Taylor, the early cycling hero.

Major Taylor was a black man  ???

il padrone

Guess my colour-blindness is playing up. That dummy does not look black to me ???  ???