Author Topic: Clickstand  (Read 14045 times)

jul

Re: Clickstand
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 01:18:04 pm »
Why not buy one from clickstand  your Nomad  deserves it. The cost might seem high but they are worth it.

Bob

Hi Bob,

You mean this one http://www.click-stand.com/products-and-ordering.html

I'm not sūre they are really enought sturdy for intensive use .. i think add 1 or 2 millimeter for the tubing diameter will be better.

https://www.tiredofit.ca/2011/03/11/click-stand-folding-bike-stand/
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:32:51 pm by julio »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 11:12:11 am »
Interesting article from Tired of IT above. I have used a click-stand max daily on a three month tour. Probably assembled and disassembled it 5 or 6 times a day on that tour. No problems with it breaking with a 20kg bike and 30kg luggage/food/water. I had mine made up in six sections (you can specify 4 or 5 section click-stands also). I would recommend ordering a 6 section click-stand (called a max-6).

On my last tour I used it frequently for a month before it fell off on a really rough track and was lost somewhere near Strasbourg in France. It was fitted with the velcro strap and I had noticed previously that it had not been 'sticking' as well as usual. I should have change the velcro! I recommend changing the velcro strap every year. The velcro is also less effective in rain or in humid conditions. An alternative rubber band attachment method is available.

After I lost the click-stand I felt lost every time I got off the bike! It took me some time before I stopped reaching down to grab the (missing!) click-stand. Then I had to wander around searching for a suitable place to lean the bike. This wasted time and become a little frustrating especially when you are riding along a tree-less river dyke! I missed the click-stand a lot and immediately ordered another.

True to form Tom made up an exact copy and even gave me a discount on the new one. It was waiting for me on my return home.

Excellent product and excellent service!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 05:23:35 pm »
Excellent product and excellent service!
I've had similarly good luck with Click-Stands and Tom Nostrant is the best! One of the nicest guys in all of cycling to deal with.

No problems with my own 6-section Click-Stand Max supporting my Nomad, weighing up to 50kg loaded with 26.5l of water for desert touring. Another works fine supporting my tandem with a touring load for two people.

In time, the internal bungees became a bit slack, but the fix is easy -- just pull out one end and tie a knot to take up the extra. Outright replacement of the internal bungee is nearly as quick and easy if needed.

For parking on soft soil and mushy ground, I used a hole saw to bore a hole in a tennis ball and use that to increase the footprint when needed. It is self-centering on the FatFoot at the end of the Click-Stand and completely stopped any tendency to sink into soggy terrain. The bright yellow color prevents me leaving the ball behind.

For the most part, I store my folded 6-segment Click-Stand in my HB bag, for fear of loss. The rubber-band mount can become iffy with time as the nitrile bands do eventually develop cracks from sun exposure.

Terrific product, well worth the money in my experience.

Best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 06:38:33 pm »
Before I got my Nomad in early 2013, I read everything that I could on the Internet about the Nomad. Part of my reading included Dave Conroy's web site (Tire of IT), partly because he had a yellow Nomad, partly because he is from my home town (Vancouver), and partly because we were/are in a related field (he was in IT, I'm in software development). From reading his web site, I got the impression that he is not one of those people who is gentle with his things. I'm not saying he abuses them, but he did things that I wouldn't do. That's not a bad thing. Everyone is different. When I read his reviews, I figure that he is putting his gear through a bigger test than I would. If a product stands up to his use, then it is a great product.

When I read that he bent his Click-Stand, I wasn't surprised. But it didn't stop me from buying one for myself.

I haven't used my Click-Stand much, simply because most of my riding is commuting, and I don't stop often. The Click-Stand is good quality, and will easily hold up a heavy bike. However, it is a strut: it will take a lot of weight along its main axis, but can bend if a force is applied at an angle.

- DaveS

jul

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 02:51:20 pm »
Thanks all to your answers

As you can see, when you attach the click stand to the top tube, often happens the front wheel does not stay straight

Need to put a stone  :)

So my idea is to attach the click stand to the Thorn bracket extension bar, but i don't know at this time if that will work, i didn't try yet..
The height is around 95 cm (3.11 ft)

If you want to see some nice pictures
https://nztony.smugmug.com/Thorn-Nomad-MKII/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 02:53:55 pm by julio »

bobs

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 03:35:36 pm »
Hi Julio,

I think attaching the clickstand to the accessory bar will make  the front wheel turn even more because all the weight would be concentrated close to the steerer.
I'm sure Tom at clickstand has researched all this.

Bob

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 04:05:29 pm »
Hi Julien!

I have found that -- so long as the brakes are locked with Tom's bungees or my preferred Bike Brake ( https://www.bikebrake.com/ ) -- leaning the bike on the Click-Stand with the wheel turned actually *adds* stability.

In high winds, I deliberately park the bike leaning into the wind to prevent blowovers. Part of the lean is accomplished by turning the front wheel in the direction of the lean.

Like Bob, I agree that placing a Click-Stand against a Thorn Accessory bar mounted to the steerer will destabilize the parked bike. The only way it might not would be if the front wheel were strapped to the downtube, as our own Jim Kukula has done on his Nomad. Even so, with a normally rear-biased load, the bike will be less stable when parked (I just tried it in my garage with my own Nomad and Click-Stand...did not work well. The center of pressure is just ahead of the steerer). Jim's use of a toe strap to stabilize the front wheel inline with the frame does work, also prevents the bike rolling and is an extra theft deterrent, but adds another step when parking.

There is another way to keep the front wheel from turning: Hebie makes a small spring-loaded kickstand that attaches to the bottom of Tubus' Tara and Duo front racks and will only work with those front racks. Their older design required drilling the rack, but their newer design clamps on and is stabilized by a mounting strut to the dropout. However, it is not infallible. My Dutch touring partner had one on his bike during our 2008 tour of The Netherlands and Belgium and we found it difficult to find ground level enough for it to work consistently with his primary kickstand, which was mounted across the left chainstay and seatstay near the rear dropout. His bike still blew over in the high winds or fell over on soft ground and was less stable than one would have been leaned on a Click-Stand with the brakes locked (I didn't own one then, and I don't think Tom was offering them in 2008).

The one time I bent a Click-Stand was when it sunk about 15cm into very soft ground and then the very heavily loaded bike fell over on it, bending the strut. I solved this on wet forest-floor duff and soggy desert playa by using the tennis ball with a hole in it to make it self-centering and increase the footprint. I was able to straighten the bent Click-Stand and continue to use it on that bicycle.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Dan.

jul

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 12:53:13 pm »
Ok !  so with your good advice i choose to adjust my clickstand to the top tube, and it work very fine like this .

Finally, i make it by myself ..

What i like, it is retractable and i can adjust the length

As well, i lock my brake with a strap scratch

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:55:19 pm by julio »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 03:17:18 pm »
Very good, Julien -- it looks nice!

All the best,

Dan.

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2017, 09:14:16 pm »
I've also made a clickstand using a walking pole and a screw Y shaped hook. Nowhere as nice as Julian's. Haven't tried it out yet so don't know if it will actually work.   :-\

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

bobs

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 10:27:03 pm »
I'm  sure it will, it's a very simple device. Just make sure you lock the brake .

Bob

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2017, 11:34:46 pm »
Yes, when I have a dropped handlebar bike with me I always jam a wooden washing peg in the brake handle. Still works ;D

Janet
Scout & Bettina's slave!

ridgeback63

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 03:57:19 pm »
I just got my clickstand today,very nice and it's going to get some use during Easter,Thanks Tom

Paul S

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 07:02:13 pm »
I have purchased & imported 2 "Click Stands" from Tom.

The product is supper. The service from Tom exemplary!

Paul.
Peddle Power = Will Power...... & the right gears.

ridgeback63

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 08:28:27 pm »
I have purchased & imported 2 "Click Stands" from Tom.

The product is supper. The service from Tom exemplary!

Paul.
Seconded.