Author Topic: Nomad evolution  (Read 52274 times)

jul

Re: CAMEL MK2
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 02:18:10 am »
Adding some options

The Plug seems to work well, it starts to charge between 12.5 to 13 km/h

However, as you can see on the second picture, the led lights up even if there is nothing to recharge

My new Andra 40 laced with Sapim race spokes and a nice German dynohub

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:08:36 pm by julio »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 03:43:03 am »
Julien,

The LED on The Plug will light up even if there is nothing plugged in...this is the "Ready Indicator" meaning sufficient current is present to charge something.

Similarly, if there is an overload condition -- where the demands are too high for The Plug to supply -- the LED will blink. This is also normal.

The Camel looks very, very nice indeed and even more handsome with the new additions.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 10:04:19 am »
That's some machine  ;)

alfie1952

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 04:33:22 pm »
Julio,

That's one lovely bike and a cracking set up.

Alfie 8)

jags

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 05:50:43 pm »
julio what tent is that your using.looks like a great set up you have.

jags

jul

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2016, 06:10:39 pm »
Thanks to you !

Ok Dan  8)

Jags, my tent is a Tadpole from The North Face brand (2 places for around 2 kg) but i  tested its limits. My dream tent will be to have 2 openings, 2 absides as this one
http://europe.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/red-label-tents/allak/

Curiously what makes me dream is expensive ..    ::)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:09:22 pm by julio »

jags

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 06:44:29 pm »
Julio that's everyone's dream to own such an expensive tent.
i had the hilly akto just could not get on with it,i like loads of room the akto was like sleeping in a coffin i'll be in one of those long enough. ;)
the nallo gt2 is a crackin tent but also way to expensive.

jags.

Neil Jones

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2016, 08:33:26 pm »
I love my Akto, although I've only used it on my walking tours. Maybe if I was on a cycle tour I would like a slightly bigger tent. Hilleberg stuff is class though.

Neil

jags

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2016, 09:04:52 pm »
Just could not hack it Neil if i had seen it pitched before i parted will my money i would never had bought it  just to small for me.nothing wrong with the tent just me  ::)

John Saxby

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2016, 11:28:58 pm »
My dream tent will be to have 2 openings, 2 absides as this one

Julio,  this is what I use:  https://www.tarptent.com/momentdw.html  Mine is the one-person version, but they do offer a double.

Below is a photo to show what it looks like in the field.

It's a brilliant 3-season tent.  I haven't written my Tech Appendix yet for my tour of the western mountains, but this tent is spacious, well-ventilated, very light, and keeps my dry.  Costs about USD 300.

Cheers,  John
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:30:39 pm by John Saxby »

jags

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2016, 12:19:22 am »
classsssssssssss  8) 8).
i was looking at one of those tarp tents john very clever design great looking tent.
god if only me lottery numbers came up. :'(

anto.

this is the one i'd buy.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b6MwfNowyo&t=11s

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:20:58 am by jags »

John Saxby

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2016, 01:26:22 am »
Good choice, Anto.  I looked at the Scarp, and decided that a 3-season tent would work for me.  I did get an additional "crossing pole" for the Moment. It goes head to foot, and converts the tent to free-standing. (It also adds a bit more strength & stability if you should have to deal with snow.)

I found the crossing pole valuable on my western trip, because a lot of time, I pitched the tent on ground that was baked hard and/or gravelly, and it was difficult to drive in a peg & have it hold well. (The Moment requires only two pegs, one at the head & one at the foot.)  Usually not such an issue if I'm camping in Ontario -- there's a bit more topsoil here.

The extra pole adds about 6 oz.  I got the cheaper alu one -- the carbon is lighter, but costs more. I've used it in the attached photo, though it's hard to see because you're not looking across the pole--it's in line with the long axis of the tent.  (Also, the resolution in the photo is crappy -- I had to reduce it to post it.) I rigged the tarp because 20 minutes earlier it had been raining hard, and I wanted a dry spot to eat supper & breakfast.  Of course, the moment I rigged it, the rain stopped for good and the sun came out. Mountain weather.

[Converted attached photo file format to .jpg from .psd so it would display properly in all browsers. -- Dan.]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 06:02:07 am by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2016, 10:52:46 am »
great set up John . ;)
i have 2 tents one i like but it's heavy mountain hardware gt2  loads room if i remember correctly been that long since i used it last  ::)
the other is a cheap trick, Nature hike cloud up2,  the poles are micky mouse the flysheet   looks to be from a different tent just doesn't fit as it should,  the fly also tips the inner not good for condensation issues i reckon but u get what u pay for .it's the kinda ten that could easily get a drop kick over the nearest hedge if it didn't work out on a rainy night.

anto

jul

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2016, 02:32:35 pm »
Interesting tent John, perfect for walking it is really light , although it doesn't seems completely free standing and for me it's eliminatory   ;)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2016, 04:22:47 pm »
Yes, the Tarp Tents are well made, light and strong. Though I use a MSR Hubba Hubba when cycle touring, I have the Tarptent Double Rainbow for hill/long distance walking.

I would call it a 3 ½ season tent as some of the weather I have been in has been pretty windy and wet and it stood up well to the elements. Two doors, and free standing Julio using walking poles! If cycling, just use some sticks.

http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 04:40:46 pm by StuntPilot »